Levothyroxine ... Thyroid Issues...

Options
I am on 50mcgs of Levothyroxine. I have the worst time getting up in the morning. My weight is flucuating and I really have to focus on eating right because I am ALWAYS hungry. I make sure I keep healthy snacks and drink plenty of water.

Anyone out there with Thyroid issues? How do you work on weight loss?

Replies

• MaryDreamer
    Options
    Hi, I'm on 25 mcg and it seemed to be exactly what I needed. Maybe your dose isn't right for you yet? I've only been here 30 days and it was easiest for me after the first week, then even easier after the 2nd. All of my cravings and hunger just sort of went away or I got used to them. I still get them but am able to resist FINALLY or I can just have 2 Hershey's kisses and stop instead of the entire bag cuz I know they're 20 cals each now. I don't drink nearly enough water though. Sorry I haven't helped much!
  • danyelpink
    danyelpink Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm on 100 mcg of Synthroid... I've been on Thyroid meds since 2007. I have a hard time losing weight now too... but part of that might also be b/c I'm 30 and I sit on my *kitten* a lot. Snacking has always been a big problem here. It has been HARD, but you'll get into a routine that works for you. Good luck!
  • Silveremotion
    Options
    I have Tyroid issues as well. I didnt find out until I had gained over 60 pounds, thought it was just age and stress. It has takin over 18 months to get my thyroid meds correct. I lost 10 pounds right off, then I gained back 5..now I cant loose at all..I am SOOOO frustrated!!! I have changed my eating habits and try my best to workout or at least keep moving at much as I can..... anyone have any suggestions or ides??
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm on 110 mcg..........have been for several years now...........
    So maybe your dosage isn't quite worked out yet???????
    I have lost 67# since last January...
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I am on 150 mcg's of levothyroxine I have been hypothyroid since I was born and until I had kids it was doing good and i was always thin then during my pregnancies I gained alot and since then up and down plus like you I always feel hungry. I have lost 60 lbs before after my 2nd child I just basically had to stick with a diet and exercise at least 4-5 times a week
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    There are lots of things besides your thyroid that could cause waking up in the mornings to be a problem, but you should probably have your doctor test your thyroid levels (if it hasn't been done recently) just to make sure your dose is okay. I have an underactive thyroid and have had my dose bumped up twice in the last year, from 25 to 50 and then to 75 the other week.

Also, how long have you been on the medication? If it's new, you may just need to give it time to work. This type of medication can take weeks to really kick in.

Do you get enough sleep? Do you get *quality* sleep? They recommend avoiding caffeine in the evenings and say you should avoid tv/computer use, exercise and other similar activities within an hour or so of going to bed, as they can interfere with your ability to fall asleep. You may want to look into things like this just to make sure you're doing everything in your power to get enough quality sleep.
  • DivaDLB
    DivaDLB Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There are lots of things besides your thyroid that could cause waking up in the mornings to be a problem, but you should probably have your doctor test your thyroid levels (if it hasn't been done recently) just to make sure your dose is okay. I have an underactive thyroid and have had my dose bumped up twice in the last year, from 25 to 50 and then to 75 the other week.

Also, how long have you been on the medication? If it's new, you may just need to give it time to work. This type of medication can take weeks to really kick in.

Do you get enough sleep? Do you get *quality* sleep? They recommend avoiding caffeine in the evenings and say you should avoid tv/computer use, exercise and other similar activities within an hour or so of going to bed, as they can interfere with your ability to fall asleep. You may want to look into things like this just to make sure you're doing everything in your power to get enough quality sleep.

Thanks. I don't do caffeine at all I am going in for a levels test and maybe a medicine adjustment.