Ideal weight..?

Options
MFP shows my 'green' target weight range as 128.9 - 174.3lbs. That's a whopping range of about 45lbs. I am 48 years old, 5' 10" of average build - I would look like a POW camp victim at 128lbs, where does MFP get these figures from and how do I figure out the right weight for me within a few pounds..?

David

Replies

• jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The honest, and probably frustrating, answer is...you probably won't know until you get there what weight is right for you. I've been about 15lbs less than I am now, and it was still "normal" and a BMI of 19, but I'll tell you, I was SICK all the time. I caught every cold, cough and flu that crossed my path (I'm a nurse, so this is not good!) Not to mention, everyone told me I was too skinny.

If you're average framed, then your weight should be somewhere in the middle of that range. 150s. More if you carry more muscle mass. What weight were you happy at in the past?
  • Wightvixen
    Options
    Aim for the top of the range and then see how you feel. If you are comfortable at the top end, fine. If you feel that you would benefit from heading towards the middle of the range, then let that be your secondary target.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I aimed for the middle of my healthy weight range. I'm not sure what my weight should be because I'm building muscle and I know it weighs more than fat does. I'm just eating right and working out. When I'm at my right size, I figure I'll know.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The honest, and probably frustrating, answer is...you probably won't know until you get there what weight is right for you. I've been about 15lbs less than I am now, and it was still "normal" and a BMI of 19, but I'll tell you, I was SICK all the time. I caught every cold, cough and flu that crossed my path (I'm a nurse, so this is not good!) Not to mention, everyone told me I was too skinny.

If you're average framed, then your weight should be somewhere in the middle of that range. 150s. More if you carry more muscle mass. What weight were you happy at in the past?

Hi, thanks - I was 154lbs for many years before my weight started going up, but I guess my first goal will be top end, then reassess my goals after that - 5lbs to go!
  • bfrice1
    Options
    A lot of the answer has to do with your age and size of your body frame.

I'm 5'3", but I'm forty two, so rather than a goal weight of 125, which would be optimal if I were 25 years old, my doctor gave me a goal weight of 140-145 or so, to allow for the fact that my body is very different now than it was twenty years ago. In addition, I have a 'medium' frame (unlike my grandmother who had a 'delicate' or 'small' frame.)

That may explain it. A friend of mine hwo lost 200 lbs said she knew when to stop losing when she stopped feeling physically fat. She just felt 'perfect' (her words, not mine). So jerseyshorenurse is onto something.
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Hi, thanks - I was 154lbs for many years before my weight started going up, but I guess my first goal will be top end, then reassess my goals after that - 5lbs to go!

There ya go. You've got a target, now you can re-evaluate and fine tune along the way.
  • There's a cool quiz you can take on Self.com (http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/happyweight) that calculates your ideal weight based on the strictness of your diet, your natural frame size, activity level, and amount of exercise.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

This has a range of methods. I like the one that tells you what people your height think is the ideal weight.