Heart Rate Monitor.

Options
Okay, so my husband (playing the supportive husband role well) went and bought me a heart rate monitor. It is a Polar RS 100. Okay, so I didn't even know how to "set it up" I am technologically stupid. So after an hour of me getting irritated with this thing, I figure it out. GREAT! So I thought. I put the band on (goes around your chest) and walk around for MAYBE 5 minutes before I was in so much pain from the band irritating my skin. I felt SO bad that I couldn't use this GREAT gift that my husband bought me!

Question comes in:
I want one that you wear on your forearm. Are there any "good" brands for around $100 that count calories burned as well? Should I just suck it up and wear this one he got (I don't even know if it is a "good" brand!)

Replies

• bluehooked
    bluehooked Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    polar is really good stuff. Try and bear with it. kenny
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    polar is a great brand! I have the f6.

You can get a different chest strap from amazon, if that helps. They have one that isn't like a rubber bar. I think its cal wearlink.

Good luck!
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Even though it is best to have the hrm on skin contact if its irratating your skin put on like a thin shirt and put it on it will still work
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I have one with the strap. I tuck mine under my sport bra and it doesn't even bother me. Good luck on your hunt.
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try to loosen the strap some to where it's comfortable. What you have to do with these HRM straps is make sure you wet the two contact points (lick em) before putting it on. The wetter they are the better contact they make. Also be sure to dry the contact points when you are one. it will help save the battery life.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    perhaps you can find out if there is a bigger chest strap i think some brands have different sizes. the only one i know of for you arm is body bug and it requires a subscription to use.
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    I have a chest strap as well & I don't even notice mine.In fact there have been times I forgot i had it on
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yes, the softer wearlink chest strap is much more comfortable. I love my Polar.

edited to add: Polar is one of the best brands.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I have one with the strap. I tuck mine under my sport bra and it doesn't even bother me. Good luck on your hunt.
    This is what I do - the bottom of my sports bra is already tight so I don't notice the HRM.
  • Joaninha777
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4 and i didn't even feel the strap on! Try it again! My band isn't plastic it's really nice!
  • SevenisHeaven
    SevenisHeaven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Alright, I've decided to try it again. I'm going to do an EASA2 workout with it on, but is there ANY way to make the wrist unit stop beeping (to the beat of the heart rate)...
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    really? I just got a polar one with a chest strap! and i can't even tell it's on? do you have it too tight? you can loosen it? to me it's just like having a bra on, which is why i can't tell i even have it on! i love mine!!!
  • SevenisHeaven
    Options
    Hey Kim, I'm not sure how I "did it wrong" but after so many good testimonials from this thread I decided to try it again, I have it on now..and no problems! Not sure if it was just too tight, or the tag poking, or what...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Beeping:

Push the OK button
    Scoll up or down to SETTINGS>OK
    Scroll down to HR SET>OK
    Push HR ALARM>OK
    Scroll to OFF>OK
    Push BACK repeatedly to return to the home screen
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Good! Just keep playing with it! and if you go to the website they have manuals and video tutorials and stuff, but once you play with for a while you'll get the hang of it! I just got mine last week. I wore mine for a typical day this week to see how many calories i burned, in 12 hrs i burned 1800 calories. it's just cool to know that!
  • outersoul
    Options
    It might just be the tag. When I had to tighten my chest strap for my Polar FT7 it kind irritated me. I just adjusted it so the tag wasn't poking me.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try to loosen the strap some to where it's comfortable. What you have to do with these HRM straps is make sure you wet the two contact points (lick em) before putting it on. The wetter they are the better contact they make. Also be sure to dry the contact points when you are one. it will help save the battery life.

LMAO!! As gross as it sounds, I TOTALLY lick the contacts before I put it on. The thicker saliva makes it get the best contact. I am so glad I am not the only one!

Oh and I never even notice my polar strap. it's under my sports bra and I never feel it. Sometimes I forget it's there!
  • SevenisHeaven
    Options
    Okay, thank you everyone! I figured it out!! I think I am going to keep it!

Next question LOL

Do you wear it "all the time" or do you only wear it during workouts?
    I don't know if you all are familiar with the EA Sports Active Wii game, but it has a heart rate monitor/sensor and tracks calories burned too. So I just did 2 workout sessions. The first session the Polar HRM had me burning more calories than the game HRM. The 2nd session the game HRM had me burning more than the Polar. I don't understand this..I mean I understand if the Polar was higher, because the other is a game, but why the difference??
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    This is a good (long) blog about heart rate monitors that will answer those questions.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

But, no, don't wear it for routine daily activity. They are meant to track aerobic exercise.

How much difference between the EA and the heart rate monitor. Why don't you just average the two? Niehter one is 100% accurate, and is there a chest strap and user input (your age/resting HR/ gender etc) on the EA?
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I would go by what my HRM told me.