Calories burned... do you go by MFP or the machine?

Options
I'm new to this community and to the gym. I started going Jan 25th and have been making it a daily habit. I enjoy counting calories and keeping track of everything I eat. However, when it comes to burning calories, there's ALWAYS a discrepancy from what MFP will calculate and what the machine will calculate.

For example, today's workout on an elliptical. MFP calculates 758 cal for 68 min. However, the machine I was on calculated 600. Both machine and MFP have weight and age... which do I trust when calculating?

I've noticed this is the same for when I'm walking on the treadmill. Then for doing aerobic workouts... I can only really go by what MFP tells me when doing x amount of min... but how do I know that even that's correct?

Replies

• Shellz206
    Shellz206 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Trust the machine. It knows your pace/speed. MFP does not.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Neither.:laugh:

Seriously, both the machines and MFP are high. If you can, invest in a heart rate monitor (with chest strap) to get an accurate reading.

I find that on the elliptical the machine is usually about 60-100 calories higher than what my heart rate monitor says.

Also, Congrats on doing so great with eating right and exercising!:flowerforyou:
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Until I get my heart rate monitor set up, I will go with MFP since it has more info about me. For instance me and a girlfriend both did a 60 minute zumba class. MFP gave her more calories burned because the higher weight means more effort to burn the calories. My treadmill shows calories burned but I know it is not accurate for me.
  • crystalDRA
    crystalDRA Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good question. I've been wondering the same thing for several weeks. I've been using which ever gave me the lower amount as I didn't want to uknowingly go over my calories because of a higher than actual amount.

However, this past week I've been really questioning my calories burned and wanting a more exact amount. After talking to a friend and learning the benefits and her experiences with a heart monitor, I researched them this week and found a good buy on one with good reviews. I purchased it yesterday and cannot wait for it to arrive so I can get an accurate look at my calories burned.
  • i_can
    i_can Posts: 11
    Options
    The machine.
    The ellipticals and treadmills at the gym where I am ask your age and weight when you begin. They also have metal handles that measure your heart rate. MFP seems to over-estimate how much I burn... or maybe I'm just not working hard enough?
  • shells9973
    Options
    I researched them this week and found a good buy on one with good reviews. I purchased it yesterday and cannot wait for it to arrive so I can get an accurate look at my calories burned.

I'll have to look into this as well... mind telling me which one was suggested to you?
  • roxie0920
    Options
    I've struggled with this as well. I have a HRM (not a top-notch one) that I use and I've found that my HRM is usually very close to what my elliptical calculates (about 30 calories higher). Both are considerably higher than what MFP calculates (usually under by over 100). To be fair, I often take the average of my HRM and MFP and post that. It might not be the most acurate, but it gives me peace of mind to know that I'm not giving myself more calories than what I have earned. MFP's elliptical setting doesn't consider how actively you're working. I do 45-60 minutes a day and regarless of whether I go at 3.0 mph or 3.5 mph, MFP will give me the same number of calories burned. I always use my HRM's reading for activities like cardio boxing, or one of my other dvd workouts.
    I hope this information is interesting to you, if not very helpful.
    Good luck!
  • msartishia
    msartishia Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this community and to the gym. I started going Jan 25th and have been making it a daily habit. I enjoy counting calories and keeping track of everything I eat. However, when it comes to burning calories, there's ALWAYS a discrepancy from what MFP will calculate and what the machine will calculate.

For example, today's workout on an elliptical. MFP calculates 758 cal for 68 min. However, the machine I was on calculated 600. Both machine and MFP have weight and age... which do I trust when calculating?

I've noticed this is the same for when I'm walking on the treadmill. Then for doing aerobic workouts... I can only really go by what MFP tells me when doing x amount of min... but how do I know that even that's correct?

I would purchase a HRM. You can buy a watch if you dont want to buy the more expensive chest wraps for 50.00. Walmart has some starting at 27.00. When I first started I did not log my exercise at all. Now that I have a watch I log it. What I notice is that my watch starting off is lower than the machine because I do not hold the HR parts on the machine. Then at the end there is normally a 100 calorie difference between where I end on the treadmill and my watch.

I hope this helps.
  • kathvg
    kathvg Posts: 68
    Options
    if you're shopping for a HRM, amazon is a great place to go. they have such a wide selection with a wide range of pricing, almost all of which have user reviews which i personally find extremely helpful.
    i bought a timex HRM on there for under $50.
  • crystalDRA
    crystalDRA Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My friend has a Polar brand that she has been using for 6 years. Many of the reviews for Polars all mentioned that they had a good lifespan. She also reccomended the chest strap band (unsure of what it is called) in addition to the watch because it is more accurate apparently (she also claims that it is comfortable). I ended up getting the Polar FT4 which included the chest strap and watch for $78. It was mid-range in terms of price and the amount of functions.
  • poyetsuperstar
    Options
    MFP and the machines are both going to be not exact. The only way you could fully trust the machine is if it lets you put in age, height, weight.. but even then everyone is different. I would just see what MFP says, then see what the machine says, and pick a number in between!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    if you're shopping for a HRM, amazon is a great place to go. they have such a wide selection with a wide range of pricing, almost all of which have user reviews which i personally find extremely helpful.
    i bought a timex HRM on there for under $50.

Go Amazon! I got mine there, after shop around