Never ever ever eat this!

Options
http://www.youtube.com/user/diethealth#p/search

Thsi shows McDonalds food after 4 years what do you think?

Replies

• TLW77
    TLW77 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sherri0706
    Options
    Watching these kinds of things is exactly how I got my kids to stop eating all fast food!!
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Check out this study:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html

All burgers of that size and style will not decay due to the lack of moisture. If they had added cheese, mustard, ketsup, or any vegetables (pickles, onions, tomatoes, lettuce) it would be a whole different story. And no; I am not a defender of their food, I am a defender of actually science.
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I knew those fries had to be too good to be true. With fast food being the major way of life in America its no wonder we're obese. And now we're sharing our misfortune with the rest of the world. How great is that??? :(
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Check out this study:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html

All burgers of that size and style will not decay due to the lack of moisture. If they had added cheese, mustard, ketsup, or any vegetables (pickles, onions, tomatoes, lettuce) it would be a whole different story. And no; I am not a defender of their food, I am a defender of actually science.

+1!!

Also, how is this a bad thing? How many healthy natural foods would do the same in the same conditions? Almonds? Peas? I mean, come on! This is junk/scare science at its best.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    No food is bad in moderation.

Except perhaps arsenic, or peanuts to someone with an allergy.
  • mandyisdandy
    Options
    Now i dont go around supporting fast food or anything, but take things like this with a grain of salt.... ive had McDonalds food that went bad after 2 or 3 days. Its food. Yes its processed but it wont last forever. She's got some mutant stuff going on
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I think that fast food can be linked to obesity not because it is unhealthy, but instead because it is too healthy. Bear with me here....

50 years ago, people in this country ( well, a fair percentage) were malnurished in one way or another. It would have taken a meal much larger than a McDonald's #6 combo to get 2,000 calories. But now, there ate those who eat that kinda food several times a day.

Does my point make sense?
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    I think that fast food can be linked to obesity not because it is unhealthy, but instead because it is too healthy. Bear with me here....

50 years ago, people in this country ( well, a fair percentage) were malnurished in one way or another. It would have taken a meal much larger than a McDonald's #6 combo to get 2,000 calories. But now, there ate those who eat that kinda food several times a day.

you have completely lost me buddy.
  • adriperez
    Options
    For those of you that think fast food is ok, and the fact that preservatives are NOT the reason for McDonalds food not decaying you are in denial. You have no idea what is in that food, or where that food even comes from!! McDonalds fries arent even made from actual potatoes, but from a processed form of a potato.
    Theres a reason why obesity is at its worst, and cancer rates are soaring!!! YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT!!! Now Im not perfect, but I stay away from fast food as much as possible, especially places like McDonalds!!! I get more satisfaction eating organic foods and making my own meals. My son may hate me for making him eat all his vegetables, but never again will he eat at McDonalds!!!
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Adriperez,

I think you misunderstood the meaning of my post. I will try to clarify: I was NOT trying to defend McDonald's. I do NOT eat fast food. I was trying to show that the "experiments" that showed that McDonald's burgers were some type of Franken-meat because they did not rot were not actually science. Since there was no control, this was an observation and not a true science experiment. Observation (or correlation) do not equal causation. If they did, then the following statement would be true: All people who eat tomatoes will die or have died, therefore tomatoes cause death. That is obviously not true, but the observation is true that all people will die including people who eat tomatoes. The article that was attached showed through an actual experiment that a homemade burger of the same shape and size as a McDonald's burger will also not rot due to the removal of moisture during the cooking process and the surface area that allows additional accelerated dehydration. It also showed that a McDonald's quarter pounder and a homemade quarter pounder will rot due to the increase size leading to more moisture. If it ws perservatives alone causing it not to rot, then the quarter pounder from McDonald's would have not rot but the homemade one would have.

In conclusion: Science and thinking = good. McDonalds = not Franken-meat but still bad.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options

I think it's more that people have lost sight of what a proper portion is. When McDonalds first opened, a hamburger and 'small' fries was considered enough food for an adult. Now that's a happy meal, for kids, and adults can get three or four times as much food.

Then there are the drinks! Over here, in the UK, a large at McDs is 04 litres, that is 13.5 fluid ounces. A chocolate milkshake at that size is 530 calories. Over in the US, a large drink is now (according to a bit of googling) 28 fluid ounces, or just over twice as much. I gather that the small size, 16 oz, is still slightly bigger than our large. Another bit of googling tells me that a large chocolate shake over there has 1130 calories, or most of the calories some people here are limited to every day.

I guess the moral of the story is, yeah, go to McDs if you want. Just get a happy meal with water.