Confused...

Options
I just recently realized that I should be eating my exercise calories.

Having said that, what if I use the treadmill around 9:00 at night and burn 400 calories. I shouldn't be eating after that correct??? What do you do in the situation of late in the evening exercising?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I just recently realized that I should be eating my exercise calories.

Having said that, what if I use the treadmill around 9:00 at night and burn 400 calories. I shouldn't be eating after that correct??? What do you do in the situation of late in the evening exercising?

in a perfect world, you should be trying your best to estimate about what you will be exercising and add it to your day so you're not stuffing yourself at the end of the night. but you do the best you can. If you're confident you are going to exercise then plan your food for the day accordingly.
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    in a perfect world, you should be trying your best to estimate about what you will be exercising and add it to your day so you're not stuffing yourself at the end of the night. but you do the best you can. If you're confident you are going to exercise then plan your food for the day accordingly.

THANK you for this!!!!!
  • cheangela
    Options
    I usually log my exercise in the morning to make sure I'm on track for my intake. Plus, it takes a lot of those "I'm too tired" excuses away when I realize skipping the gym isn't in my best interest :-)
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I work out at night too. What I will have are a recovery drink or a couple of ounces of deli turkey slices.
  • chyleki
    Options
    I may be way off here but I personally don't think nothing is wrong w/ eating at night unless of course you have no calories left :)
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would eat some of my exercise calories before, and then after my workout have 1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese or a plain nonfat greek yogurt and whole wheat toast.

I wouldn't eat everything before hand in case you get too tired to workout.
  • kathrynarnold
    Options
    I try not to eat my exercise calories.
  • mommamo5
    Options
    I try not to eat mine ahead of time incase something happens where I don't get to work out. Alot of times I don't get to exercise until late as well so I will usually have a scoop of my protien powder in some chocolate almond milk. That's usally about 200 calories and sometimes I'll eat a piece of fruit with it.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I may be way off here but I personally don't think nothing is wrong w/ eating at night unless of course you have no calories left :)

Contrary to popular belief, there's nothing wrong with eating at night. The same rules apply to it as would eating during the day, I.E. eat good food, and don't stuff yourself. Other than that, go ahead.

One thing I will warn though, eating close to bed time can disrupt sleep patterns for some people, and that's bad as sleep is THE most important thing you can do for consistent weight loss. Believe it or not, most of the good stuff that happens to your body happens during deep sleep. That's when you repair the most damage done; and that's when all the good growth happens. Restful long sleep is vital to a healthy body, not only for what I listed above, but studies show that people who sleep longer have lower stress levels, and stress = cortisol, which = body fat.