Discouraged Isn't the Word for it...Thanks PCOS

Options
So, I've been told that I need to lose weight in order to get pregnant thanks to having PCOS.

I have traveled on this road a few times before, and I'm over it. I always get really discouraged and I wind up eating a large pizza with pepperoni and green olives. I've lost as much as 20 lbs. before, and I gain every bit of it back because I have zero motivation.

So, it has come to the point where I need to put up or shut up. I'm tired of hearing that everyone and their brother is pregnant, and meanwhile my fat*** can't even resist a Reese's peanut butter egg.

Ugh...

Replies

• evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pcos in november 2002. i bought colette harris's pcos diet book (best to do low GI diet as well as loosing weight), followed it religiously, and had acupuncture. the motivation of getting pregnant kept me going. it worked....but you need to be able to stick at it for 3-6 months maybe longer.
  • smiley01x
    smiley01x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I HAVE PCOS ALSO, ANDI FIND IT SO HARD TO LOSE. I THINK THAT IS WHY I GET DISCOURAGED ALSO. DOES ANYONE HAVE SUCCESS LOSING WITH PCOS? MY DR TOLD ME THAT I COULD EAT NO MORE THAN 1300 CALS A DAY, AND IF I WENT OVER THAT I WOULDNT LOSE, AND THAT SOMEONE ELSE DOING THE SAME DIET AS ME WOULD LOSE MORE WEIGHT. I FEEL LIKE GIVING UP.....
  • ANewton401
    ANewton401 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    First off stop putting yourself down, that is no way to start the journey to a healthier you. You have done it before and you can do it again. It seems we will need to get you focused on maintaining after you achieve your goal (which you will). Everyone is tempted and at some point might even cheat a bit but the point is to get back on that treadmill and know why you are here and more importantly why you deserve it. Feel free to friend me-I'll keep you motivated :flowerforyou:
  • rainmac80
    rainmac80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Know EXACTLY how you feel!! Just found out two of my close friends are pregnant and although we've only been trying a v short time I've only recently been diagnosed so just compounds my feelings/scares of not getting pregnant myself when I hear about everyone else just getting pregnant by looking at each other!
    I'm not 'big' but could still do with losing a few pound, around the tummy (good old PCOS!), and am finding it so hard! Been eating basically just fruit and VERY small portions all week and have caved in this afternoon and just munched a crunchie bar in about 30 seconds cos I'm just so fed up. I go to the gym but don't see any improvement after going for 5-6 weeks solid so then give up lol Need more willpower :(
    Stick with it and be my inspiration lol :)
    x
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    warning! tough love reply: sounds like a willpower/self-esteem problem, not a pcos problem.

good luck sticking with it this time. remember that you can do anything you set your mind to. if having a baby is important to you, set your mind to this and stop giving up each time you make a few mistakes. if it's not, then continue doing what you are doing and making excuses.

losing weight is not all or nothing. i have pcos, have lost 27 pounds in a year (with is about half what 'normal' people lose) and still occasionally have a day where i eat 4000 calories. i'm not giving up because this is my life and my health!

you can lose weight with pcos! it may be harder or slower than what you 'wish' for, but it is possible.
    dawn
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I have not seen much change on the scale, and I have been doing P90X faithfully since Jan.3rd and eating well much of the time. But it just recently dawned on me that having PCOS is probably why the weight is not coming off like it should. I have modified my percentages to 40% carbs, 40% proteins, and 20% fats and hoping that helps.

No matter what though, I will keep doing what I am doing the best I can and eventually the number on the scale WILL go down.

Stay strong!
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I lost weight in hopes of getting preg. only to find out that I also have a bifracated uterus. So, long story short, no kids for me. :(
    It seems like the first 20 are the easiest. The key is to not gain that 20 back. That way when you start up again you are not losing the same 20 pounds, but the next 20 pounds :)
    Good luck hun.
  • lilbylil
    lilbylil Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i have PCOS too and boy does it suck -- from painful periods to difficult weight loss. and i'm so sorry to hear about your difficulty with fertility.

so here's the deal, it will take a strong commitment and an attitude adjustment to get motivated to get moving and to start eating healthily. and you may have to look the other way sometimes when you're losing slowly b/c of PCOS. but knowing you're eating well and moving more can give a gal a huge boost of self-pride. and the community at MFP can help keep you motivated.

i'm feeling extremely motivated as i get closer to 43. i know PCOS can be a precursor to all sorts of other wretched stuff and i won't let it take me down that path without a fight. i'm late to the battle, but at least i'm showing up now. even with slow weight loss, i just want to know i'm doing everything i can and the best i can to be the healthiest i can. (and totally separate from health, i want to look good in my clothes and feel good about the body i show up in! oh yeah!)

the community here will support you in the smooth and the rough times if you decide to get on the wagon. don't worry about slipping, we all do. just keep getting up when you fall off, commit to trying again each time, and don't give up. good luck and i wish you the best.
  • zackhanmom
    Options
    There are times when I would KILL for a Reese's peanut butter egg! YUM! This sucks. I so wish there was just a pill that could make us skinny and that you wouldn't have problems getting pregnant! I'm trying to convince myself to NOT eat the bag of peanut m&m's this afternoon and instead go work out, but I am so not motivated either. Junk food and pleasure now or guilt and regret later....hummmmm.. Just stay strong!! You got me started on this so we need to finish it to the end!!