Yoga?!?

Options
My doctor recommended doing yoga to help with some issues that I have been having. Can anyone suggest a good dvd for yoga?

Replies

• SethLexico
    Options
    try downloading yoga x from p90x, that's a good start!
  • tommieptac
    tommieptac Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit Yoga... i like that one...
  • StaceyJ75
    Options
    I use the WiiFit yoga every morning. I love it!
  • ambercole
    Options
    try downloading yoga x from p90x, that's a good start!

Yep Yep!!! That one is my favorite. Really kicks your *kitten*!!!
  • FruitLoop05317
    Options
    i got a beginner yoga dvd from walmart and i like it fairly well to start out!
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Baron Baptise's Level one or Yoga for beginners. He does a great job explaining the positions and modifications. I started with this dvd a few years ago and still practice a couple times a week.
  • AlynnP1005
    Options
    If you are new to yoga, I suggest taking at least 2-3 classes at an actual studio before going the DVD route. There are so many little ways to hurt yourself when doing poses improperly, and its so much better to have an instructor correct you rather than to guess you are doing it right.
  • barberella
    Options
    Definitely Wii Fit Plus Yoga. I was never a yoga person but it gives you step by step instructions to perfect your moves instead of doing a routine. Also, I've heard The Firm Yoga is good. and when you're ready to really step it up, I got the Biggest Loser DVD for yoga for peeps that want to lose weight done by actual contestants. It's brutal though!
  • Rtrue18
    Options
    Steve Ross used to have a show on Oxygen at 6am that when I first started yoga would wake up and do every am (I didn't have a DVR). He always had fun music on and was kinda dorky and I really enjoyed it. It was a challenge enough for a beginer but not too easy and is very slow moving which is good for beginers. Im sure he has DVD's as well or check him out on youtube to see if you like his style.
  • dawnkitchen
    Options
    If you are new to yoga, I suggest taking at least 2-3 classes at an actual studio before going the DVD route. There are so many little ways to hurt yourself when doing poses improperly, and its so much better to have an instructor correct you rather than to guess you are doing it right.

I definitely agree with this.
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've done P90X Yoga and don't consider it a beginner's class. I take intermediate yoga at my local YMCA and other students have spoken VERY highly of Viniyoga Therapy for the Low Back, Sacrum & Hips with Gary Kraftsow (2009). I haven't checked it out myself but our instructed also gave it a resounding endorsement.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    20 min yoga sessions podcast in your itunes.

its great
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes:) Baptiste power vinyasa yoga live! series. Baron Babptiste is the guru of yoga and he knows his stuff. Ive done the p90x yoga and others and I just think Baron Baptiste knows his stuff, I appreciate his style and the workout I get, its yoga the way its supposed to be not painful and strenuous like I think p90 yoga is... my two cents:) I do love p90x and I do the other videos but when it comes to yoga, go with the video above, I guarantee you will be happy:)
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just recommended this one too, its SO good:) I love it! The way yoga is meant to be practiced.
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Rainbow Mars is THE BEST! As a yoga teacher, I highly recommend her. :)
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee DVD's are great :) Once you get the hang of it this site might be helpful: http://www.yogajournal.com/ You can customize your own group of poses that are your favorites or focus on learning a new pose every day. I think it's pretty cool. Yoga can be really good for strength training and toning!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    When I was first interested in yoga - I bought the "Yoga for Dummies" book & DVDs and they are awesome. It is a great idea to go to a yoga class but sometimes those yoga classes are during reg working hours or if you live in a rural area - just not available. The "Yoga for Dummies" (beginner's edition) DVD walked you step by step on what to do/not do and I really had a great time with them.
  • mmoon29
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Your input is greatly appreciated!!
  • TaraJackson
    TaraJackson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love Yoga at the local YMCA, they have a class called YAP- Yoga, Ab's, Pilates and my core has never been stronger. I would try a few different time frames and find an instructor that you enjoy, I feel like I can deal with life issues more easily when I take the time to settle my mind.