Hello! Any other breastfeeding dieting ladies out there?

Options
Hello all :) I'm trying to lose weight while breastfeeding my 11 week old son, and was just wondering if there are any other BF'ing mummys here?
I need to make sure I do this properly and maintain my nutrition as I've heard stories about women who've dieted and lost their milk supply.
However, since I've started breadtfeeding, I'm constantly hungry! It's awful, and because I'm busy a lot, I just tend to grab quick snacks.
Any advice is welcome :)

Replies

• herwholejourney
    herwholejourney Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm not BF'ing but I am pregnant, and had gained 20 lbs before finding out I was pregnant. Therefore I am about 20 lbs over weight and my doctor told me that if I didn't gain any weight during pregnancy, that would be okay with her, and if I do... only to gain about 10-15 lbs. So that being said, I really have to watch what I eat. I have been bringing tons of fruit to work and to-go packs like the carrots and ranch ready pacs, apples and fat-free carmel ready pacs, yogurt, fruit cups... anything that is easy to grab and go. I also find making sandwiches the night before or making a bunch and freezing them helps too, as well as soups.

Good luck! :o)
  • junewonder
    Options
    Hello! I'm a breastfeeding my 8 month old daughter! I'm absolutely no expert on this subject, but I'm eating 1610 calories a day & my milk supply hasn't changed. Two of my resources are
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-calories-fluids.html
    &
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/the-truth-about-breastfeeding-and-weight-revealed/
    I hope these help!

xo, June
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i really starting taking mfp seriously when my daughter was born last may. unfortunately, i was too stupid to realize it wouldn't be such a good idea to limit myself to 1,200 while i was breastfeeding. although it melted the pounds off of *me*, my daughter was constantly hungry and i couldn't figure out why, so i supplemented with formula. i'm fairly certain it was my lack of caloric intake. if i were you, i would just make sure i was eating healthy foods and take into consideration that you're nourishing two bodies when you eat. maybe add on several hundered calories per day to adjust for the ones you're burning as you breastfeed. good luck:)
  • jjjohns
    Options
    I'm no longer breastfeeding but wanted to say "great job" on breastfeeding your baby!! It really is the best food on earth. I breastfed my daughter for 13 mos and she's now 18 mos and a beautiful, smart, healthy toddler. I was also hungry all the time so you aren't alone.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Right here, exclusively breast fed seven month old son ..plan on weaning him in July and hoooooray on that. :) haha
  • jamas5
    Options
    Hi. Congratulations on breastfeeding. I nursed all six of my kids until they were about 18 months. This was from 1959 to 1977, when it was considered borderline obscene. Even so, we traveled and ate in public, but I loved the cover-all blanket. I learned I could eat pretty much what I wanted, but I tried to steer away from carbs. The great thing I found was that when we stopped nursing, the enormous appetite went away too. Plus, by then you are chasing a very active and mobile child. My opinion is for you to follow your instincts. Good luck and enjoy that baby fully. They grow up way too fast.
  • Melissacastellano
    Options
    hello, i am breast feeding my three month old and i really need to drop some weight. does any one know how i can drop weight but also keep up my milk supply for my very healthy lil eater?
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I am breastfeeding my daughter; she is nearly 4 months old. I too was starving the first couple of months and was losing the weight VERY slowly. That was because I was going hours between meals and would just grab whatever junk I could get.

I am eating so much better now and losing weight quickly with 1800 to 2000 calories a day and regular exercise. I eat several small meals a day with lots of protein, fruits, and veggies and little processed foods. My supply has not been hurt at all!

My diary is open. Feel free to check it out and/or friend me!
  • pandacub
    pandacub Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all for replies :) will defintely be watching my calorie intake and making sure I don't eat too little. I don't mind losing it slowly and obviously my son comes first, but I reckon as long as I don't go mad I'll be able to do both :D
  • trudypickles
    Options
    HI definitely take the weight loss slowely eat healthy and regularly... and drink planty of water, Breastfeeding burns approx 500 calories a day so please dont restrict your calories you can eat 2000/day and the weight will still come off...good luck xx
  • lisamarief6
    Options
    hi there, im breastfeeding my almost 7 month old daughter and just recently got back to working out more and running and i feel like my supply is a bit low. im not sure if its the working out, or the fact that my daughter has started solids recently, or a combination of both. i am eating a bit under 1700 calories a day and im the same way, always hungry! i do hear that you need more calories while breastfeeding but i want to lose my last 10lbs of baby weight and i want to lose it now! i hope to find more help also in how to do this the right way!