How to lose weight with fitness pal

Options
Eating right and either getting or staying in shape is like playing the piano, it takes practice, daily practice to play it well. Losing weight is the same challenge, to lose weight, you have to practice, you'll make mistakes along the way, but that is how you learn, right? My first rant is to set realistic goals. Not those stupid goals, like trying to lose 60 pounds in 3 months. I find that people tend to try to lose too much weight all at once limiting their calorie intake to such a low amount, it becomes difficult to sustain. I do NOT recommend eating only 1200 calories per day, it is way too hard to stay on task eating so little. If you really truly want to lose weight, which I think you probably do if you are reading this, then it's "harsh reboot" time. Think about balance in your diet. Ignore sugar grams as it relates to eating fruit, the entire piece of fruit, not drinking juice. Eat 2-3 pieces of fruit every day, this will kill your cookie, cake, donuts, candies, soda cravings, and you won't gain a damn thing from eating fruit. No one got fat eating too many bananas, right?

Eat 6 servings of non starchy veggies every day. A serving is 1/2 cup by the way. Stay away from too much cheese, 1 slice a day is all you should have. Think to yourself, "I can have 2 dairy products per day." If you eat yogurt, then get plain yogurt and add your own fruit or jam to it. Remember to eat limited starches, but do eat them. Starches are, beans, breads, potatoes, sugars. For protein, if you eat meat, eat meat no larger than the size of a deck of cards, 1 serving per day at most, better still, 1 serving every other day. Eat tofu, beans, nut butters, veggie burgers, protein shake (2 a week) etc., (3 eggs per week is great too) and other proteins on days you don't eat meat. When you eat meat, chose lean meats, not processed meats and limit red meats.

When you exercise, work out HARD, break a HARD sweat, and the whole 3x a week for 20 minutes thing drives me crazy, hear the words of the famous advertisers, "Work out at least 3x a week for 20 minutes a day and you too can have this amazing ripped body." Hear their words, "AT LEAST" this is the MINIMUM you must work out to MAINTAIN your weight. Consider working out 5 times a week for 1 hour at a time. IF you do these things, you WILL lose weight. I promise. You will lose 1-2 pounds a week. This is a realistic goal. Regarding My Fitness Pal, do not eat back the calories you burn from exercise. Fitness Pal is generous with the calories burned.

Remember, weight loss and fitness is like learning to play the piano, it takes practice. You have to make mistakes to learn how to play it well. I realize these things sound really hard to do. They are. I won't lie to you, it isn't easy, but But BUT you are sooooo worth the effort. My final recommendation, is to calendar all your workouts and no one, not family, kids, jobs, or whatever, should take the place of your workouts. You have to make yourself a priority. You are worth it!

Okay as a final note, I have to add, if you have dietary concerns, or are a diabetic, please do see a dietitian or your doctor for the BEST advice for you. I'm none of those things, just a crazy girl trying to get thin, get in the best shape of my life and have a lot of fun on my journey. If I can share a few things I learned along the way, then that's what I'll do. But again, check out what I'm saying with your doctor.

http://competingiswinning.blogspot.com/p/food-fight.html

Replies

• NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Eating right and either getting or staying in shape is like playing the piano, it takes practice, daily practice to play it well. Losing weight is the same challenge, to lose weight, you have to practice, you'll make mistakes along the way, but that is how you learn, right? My first rant is to set realistic goals. Not those stupid goals, like trying to lose 60 pounds in 3 months. I find that people tend to try to lose too much weight all at once limiting their calorie intake to such a low amount, it becomes difficult to sustain. I do NOT recommend eating only 1200 calories per day, it is way too hard to stay on task eating so little. If you really truly want to lose weight, which I think you probably do if you are reading this, then it's "harsh reboot" time. Think about balance in your diet. Ignore sugar grams as it relates to eating fruit, the entire piece of fruit, not drinking juice. Eat 2-3 pieces of fruit every day, this will kill your cookie, cake, donuts, candies, soda cravings, and you won't gain a damn thing from eating fruit. No one got fat eating too many bananas, right?

Eat 6 servings of non starchy veggies every day. A serving is 1/2 cup by the way. Stay away from too much cheese, 1 slice a day is all you should have. Think to yourself, "I can have 2 dairy products per day." If you eat yogurt, then get plain yogurt and add your own fruit or jam to it. Remember to eat limited starches, but do eat them. Starches are, beans, breads, potatoes, sugars. For protein, if you eat meat, eat meat no larger than the size of a deck of cards, 1 serving per day at most, better still, 1 serving every other day. Eat tofu, beans, nut butters, veggie burgers, protein shake (2 a week) etc., (3 eggs per week is great too) and other proteins on days you don't eat meat. When you eat meat, chose lean meats, not processed meats and limit red meats.

When you exercise, work out HARD, break a HARD sweat, and the whole 3x a week for 20 minutes thing drives me crazy, hear the words of the famous advertisers, "Work out at least 3x a week for 20 minutes a day and you too can have this amazing ripped body." Hear their words, "AT LEAST" this is the MINIMUM you must work out to MAINTAIN your weight. Consider working out 5 times a week for 1 hour at a time. IF you do these things, you WILL lose weight. I promise. You will lose 1-2 pounds a week. This is a realistic goal. Regarding My Fitness Pal, do not eat back the calories you burn from exercise. Fitness Pal is generous with the calories burned.

Remember, weight loss and fitness is like learning to play the piano, it takes practice. You have to make mistakes to learn how to play it well. I realize these things sound really hard to do. They are. I won't lie to you, it isn't easy, but But BUT you are sooooo worth the effort. My final recommendation, is to calendar all your workouts and no one, not family, kids, jobs, or whatever, should take the place of your workouts. You have to make yourself a priority. You are worth it!

Okay as a final note, I have to add, if you have dietary concerns, or are a diabetic, please do see a dietitian or your doctor for the BEST advice for you. I'm none of those things, just a crazy girl trying to get thin, get in the best shape of my life and have a lot of fun on my journey. If I can share a few things I learned along the way, then that's what I'll do. But again, check out what I'm saying with your doctor.

http://competingiswinning.blogspot.com/p/food-fight.html

I currently work out 4-5 times a week. My cardio is 10 minute warm up [i break a bit of a sweat here actually] and it is usually jogging at 4.5mph or elliptical machine between level 8-10 + 30 minutes of Spinning w/ intervals. I also strength train 4 days a week [2 days upper body + 2 days lower body]. My strength training time is usually 30 minutes.....

So would the above count?

Also, I am currently cutting out grains and beans as well as limiting sugar intake [including fruit]. I'm just trying to rule out any gluten/wheat sensitivities as I have struggled since September w/ weight loss despite my efforts at the gym and eating right that DID include whole grains.
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree with them being quite generous with the exercise calorie reimbursement!!!
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Not sure you should tell people not to eat back their exercise calories. I have tried it both ways and my body is burning fat at 1-2 lbs a week eating the calories back compared to when I didn't, my body stalled like crazy. When it comes to that I think each person needs to find what works for them and not follow a set criteria when it comes to that. Not everyone's body will react the same way.

Everything else I agree with and think it's great!
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM to make sure that I am not eating too many calories from exercise! MFP does overestimate.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I also use a HRM with a chest strap. I never depend on MFP for the calorie count because they are usually way off.
  • NancySDA
    NancySDA Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have been slowly changing things. More fruit, more fiber, not so much processed food as it has way too much sodium. I am drinking LOTS of water, working out hard for an hour once a day (at this point) and adding a little muscle toning a few times a week. After the first week or two I got the idea that I really shouldn't be trying to eat back my calories. I don't rely so much on what MFP tells me as the machine I use calculates it for me and I have found that it is pretty close. Therefore, I stay close to the 1200 mark and eat a little more depending on my energy level for the day. I am hoping that it all gets me to where I'm going. I am just hoping to lose anywhere from 1-2 pounds a month. Who can lose 20 pounds a month?
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    When I started using fitness pal, I too ate back my calories, but soon I hit a plateau, when I hit the plateau, I found that not eating the calories back was all I needed to lose weight again. The more weight you lose, it changes your metabolism, it changes your caloric need, your BMI changes, and so you have to change with it. Anyway, ever person is different, if you can lose weight by eating more calories, it may have less to do with fitness pal allowing you more, and have to do with your metabolism. For example, Fitness pal told me to eat 1650 calories every day. However, I went to a sports dietition and had her measure my metabolism to find out that my BMI was not 1650, but 1950. My metabolism is about as high as you can get. Fitness pal shoots for the average person. Therefore, you have to recognize that and take it into consideration, that is my point.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    So are you eating 1950 calories? How long has it taken you to lose the 45 pounds?
    What does the test involve that measures your metabolism?
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    HI One other thing I meant to mention regarding this comment:

Also, I am currently cutting out grains and beans as well as limiting sugar intake [including fruit]. I'm just trying to rule out any gluten/wheat sensitivities as I have struggled since September w/ weight loss despite my efforts at the gym and eating right that DID include whole grains.

Don't limit your fruit, it doesn't count like regular sweeteners because of the fiber in fruit. Also, there is nothing wrong with eating beans, beans are incredibly good for you. You should eat beans/lentils about 2-3 times a week, just a 1/2 cup or so. If you have gluten issues, I understand why you'd eliminate grains. I hope this helps you. Gael