how many packets of artificial sweetners is considered reall

Options
Since I started my reduced-calorie diet, my intake of coffee/tea has gone up from 1 cup to 2-3 cups/day. With each cup, I use splenda. How much artifical sweetner is considered real NO NO ? I know natural stuff is better (sugar vs artificial sweetners). But hey, I am watching my carbs too. Cannot afford to load up on sugar either. Having coffee/tea helps controls my appetite/hunger.
Post your thoughts.

Replies

• Tammysueless
    Options
    Good question. I've thought the same thing but figure it can't be too bad since Splenda is basicaly corn surgar. Plus i don't even cook with it so i'm not taking in too much. :smile:
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about it then try Truvia. It's like splenda but comes from a stevia plant which is naturally sweet. My whole thing is that it's not forever. I used splenda instead of sugar until I got down to my goal weight and now i'm maintaining with raw sugar and agave nectar.
  • mjcaines72
    Options
    I stopped using sugar because I prefer to use those 15 cals a tsp on something else. I was using splenda but now I use Trevia. I like it much better than Splenda.
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Use Truvia (which is natural). Splenda is an artificial sweetener (also known as chemical junk). 1 is too many!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    To my knowledge, sucralose studies haven't shown that it has negative effects on the body like saccharin and aspartame. Unless there is a study that shows that, then I could be wrong. But as of right now, Splenda seems good enough to use for me. I'm also a diabetic, so carbs and sugar are something I have to take into account into my diet also.
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am picky about sugar substitutes in my coffee. I don't care for truvia,.. to me it has a little bit of a bitter after-taste. Sugar is my sweetener of choice, but like you, I drink 3 cups a day and I don't want to waste that many calories on coffee. So I use Sun Crystals packets. They are a sugar, steevia mix. It's 5 calories a packet, and I only need one packet per cup. :) For me... the taste is worth the 15 calories for 3 cups of coffee! :)
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If you can find it read what Jillian Michaels has to say about Splenda. You are better off with xylitol and or truvia, they are natural sources. Splenda is chemically engineeed with chorine molecules.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks pals for the feedback and suggestions.