Bummed out:(

Options
I started bootcamp January 28 and have lost 1lb so far. I do feel a bit firmer but still chubs!! Is this normal? I'm 5'3 and weigh 146 if that's of any help. Thanks

Replies

• pcliff
    pcliff Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you've been exercisig then its all good. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may not see a lot of weight loss early on. How well your clothes fit is a better indicator of your progress. I've also heard that a pound of muscle burns 5 times more calories than a pound fo fat, so the weight should start dropping faster now.

Hang in there and don't get discouraged!
  • italy1677
    Options
    If you've been exercisig then its all good. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may not see a lot of weight loss early on. How well your clothes fit is a better indicator of your progress. I've also heard that a pound of muscle burns 5 times more calories than a pound fo fat, so the weight should start dropping faster now.

Hang in there and don't get discouraged!
    What I've heard is a pound of muscle burns 50 calories a day or somethin like that. Good advice though
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    omg something's not working if you've only lost 1lb. you need to adjust your diet AND this 'bootcamp'. i am 5'3" and weigh 114. i do cardio 6 days a week, weights 4 days and watch everything i eat and there is still a softness to my body. 1lb in 1 month is not success, harsh but true.
  • 149Lore
    Options
    omg something's not working if you've only lost 1lb. you need to adjust your diet AND this 'bootcamp'. i am 5'3" and weigh 114. i do cardio 6 days a week, weights 4 days and watch everything i eat and there is still a softness to my body. 1lb in 1 month is not success, harsh but true.

Im sorry but what works for u doesnt necessarily work for everyone else. Each body is different, you will see changes soon girl, some ppl lose in sizes first which is most important.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    You are very close to your healthy BMI (141 is the top healthy for your height: my height too!) so losing weight will go slowly.

Keep at it!!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    how much are you eating? how many calories per day?? Are you honest about tracking everything your eating?? Could be your eating too much or not enough. Either way, stick with it, dont give up!!
  • andipandi
    Options
    sorry but that is weak. excuses excuses...if this bootcamp costs $$$ her money is not being well spent. diet NEEDS to be adjusted....exercise needs to be adjusted. 1lb in 1 month!!!! that's NOT right.
  • mars540
    mars540 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My clothes fits the same and I feel, if anything, more energetic. I really like going to the class...I paid $100 for the month of February and really want to continue but not if it is not going to give me results. My diet is not the best and is probably the reason the bootcamp is not working. I eat about 1200-1400 calories a day, most at dinner time. I start with coffee and a bagel thin w/laughing cow cheese for breakfast.....a cheestick and almonds for snack....rice and beans for lunch......chicken tostada salad from pollo loco for dinner and lots of water through out the day. Bad, I know. Anybody have any suggestions???
  • mars540
    Options
    And since I'm being honest....I do sneak in a couple mini york peppermint patties.
  • NiftyNancy
    NiftyNancy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel! I am going through the same thing. I was working out 5 times per week, but I am not really watching what I eat. I am starting to realize that my problem is the food. I wasn't losing any weight.

1. You have to figure out how many calories you are burning during bootcamp. Do you have a heart rate monitor? If not, I highly recommend you get one. It is very important to know how much you are burning during your workouts...Would you drive a car for 3 hours if it didn't have a gas gauge?
    2. You have to use the food electronic food diaries and be honest about what you are eating. No matter how bad it is...jot it down. I paper and pen food journal did not work for me. I noticed a huge difference in my eating habits when I started using an electronic one. My favorite is www.calorieking.com (they have a 7 day free trial) but www.Myfitnesspal.com has a good one too. It is very helpful b/c it is electronic and it does all of the work for you. So you may think you are eating less calories but when you log food into your diary..you start to realize...oooppss....I am eating a bit too much...even if you go 100 calories over your goal...it disrupts the weight loss. This was a huge eye opener for me. For example.....I've been doing great since sunday. but last night i had a bad day and binged on food. No joke. 3 margaritas. 3 fried tacos, 1/2 basket of chips and salsa. This put me waaay over the edge of my calorie goals for the day. I didn't work out yesterday. bad. I didn't workout today either and went over 200 calories in food today. as you can see it is getting worse for me. When i added the net calories for the week through today...I was only over 430 calories for the week. So that made me feel better and it inspired me to get off the couch and workout to a dvd. i burned 320 calories this evening...so now i am only 110 over my calories for the last 5 days. Isn't that awesome!!!??? So now I am motivated to eat less tomorrow..pick healthy foods...and add 1 or 2 workouts and i will be balanced again. This is why i love the diaries b/c it helps me see the big picture and I have the power to change it...i felt gloom and doom fretting over last night, but with the diary i was able to change it all in 1 day!!! So I highly recommend you track what you eat. It also helped me realized that picking high calorie foods makes it hard for me to stay within my calorie goals for the day so it encourages me to pick less calorie foods.
    So i think I am finally on my way to lose weight....food is definitely the problem. I have a hard time b/c i love to eat...I hope you try it and see how it works for you. good luck and don't lose faith!!!
  • mars540
    Options
    Thanks!! I totally agree and will start logging truthfully beginning tomorrow. It has to be my eating because thewirkout is intense, lots of 8-10lb weights. I do not own a HRM but will need to get one soon, I've been thinking about one but wasn't sure I needed it. Good luck and thanks again!
  • andipandi
    Options
    good girl!!!! i know ppl like to sugar coat situations and use terms like 'keep up the good work!' but it's time, money and effort. work on your diet, 1200 cals tops, LOTS of veggies and protein, google like crazy!!! cardio is your best friend for weight loss. try and weigh yourself everyday...i know some ppl dont like that idea but it keeps me on the straight and narrow. even on pms days if i'm a lb or 2 heavier i watch what i eat more carefully and days that i'm lighter i can indulge a bit. btw, i'm close to 40yrs old, a university stundent in kinesiology and a mom of 2 teenage AAA hockey players...and that's a recent pic. so if anyone feeds you lines like 'oh it's your body type' or 'your a healthy bmi!' trust your instincts. you are already looking critically at your diet and exercise and that's what you should be proud of....cardio cardio cardio
  • andipandi
    Options
    nicely said ncorales :)
  • NiftyNancy
    Options
    Mars - the reason the HR monitor is good is b/c it will tell you how many calories you are burning during exercise. The reason it is helpful is b/c you can subtract that from the calories you have eaten for the day. Another reason to use one is b/c even though you are working out, doesn't mean you are burning that many calories. For instance, I take a dance class and wasn't using my HRM and thought i was burning 400 calories b/c I sweated so much...well...when I started wearing the HRM ...low and behold...i was only burning 225 calories. That isn't very many calories considering I can burn 300 in the same amount of time walking...so what this showed me was that I wasn't working hard during my workouts...So now I add jumps to certain moves and when the teacher pauses in between segments...I run in place to keep the calories burning....so now I am burning 320 calories in the same dance class. It is amazing what running in place and adding hops can do....It is an amazing tool....I have a polar....and I heard those are good...but you can do some research on the internet. They are a bit on the pricey side...but it is definitely worth it....I would love to hear about your experience with it once you get one.

ANDIPANDI - thank you and I'm glad you spoke up about the food. b/c it is true. I have to admit...watching the food is so hard for me!! I've gotten better at it this week....how do you do it? What kinds of food do you eat for dinner? What do you do when you are on the go and have to eat out? would love to hear your tips!
  • andipandi
    Options
    the food is THE worst part for me as i tend to binge. first thing you need to do is find out what your basal meatabolic rate is. mine is very low because i am 38 and female...your bmr is what your body burns at rest and it decreases as you age. mine is about 800 cals per day. that means if i were to lay in bed all day, that's what my body needs to maintain itself. low eh? so these are my tricks. when my sons practise at the arena i bring my yoga may, 10lb weights and my sneakers. we have a deal, they go as hard as they can, i do the same. so while the other parents sit with a bag of chips, i bust my *kitten*. they do think i'm weird but i don't care! next, learn the cal content and portion sizes of food and calculate. my boys eat a lot at night so i save most of my eating for the evening. it sounds wrong but i only eat from 3pm-9pm. i believe in the number of cals consumed in the 24hr period and this is the only way i can prevent binging at night--those are my meals now! i use up the energy i've digested thru the nite in the morning when i exercise or go to school. i weight myself every day...10lbs is 1 dress size so by the time your clothes don't fit you're kinda screwed...sometimes i'm a pound lighter--that's a donut day! a pound heavier--a veggie day :( hey it works! i dont have the $ to buy a new wardrobe! lastly, ok this is going to sound sketchy....wear snug clothes. show your body off. heels, snug sweaters, tight jeans, smoky eye,...it's hard to over indulge when your clothes are snug--i'm serious. i love the looks i get...lol...! hey i work hard!!!! cute form fitting workout clothes...admire your work! your time, effort and money--respect them and enjoy the fruits of your labors. be a peacock and maintaining will be easier...oh and stay away from lil'debbie and her devil cakes...DAMN YOU LIL'DEBBIE!!!!!!!! hope some of that is helpful, it's unorthodox but....it works! i have lots more little quirky things that i do... but i need to go hop on the treadmill....!!!!!
  • NiftyNancy
    Options
    Wow. your tips don't sound sketchy at all..I totally believe it! It sounds like you really work hard to stay in shape. Good for you !! And I loved your tips....I'm starting to realize now how hard it is to take the weight off. I've been pretty thin most of my life weighing on averaage about 115-118 pounds (I'm 5 foot 2 and currently weigh 123 pounds and 37 years old). But when my boyfriend moved in, I gained a whopping 11 pounds. On a small frame like me that is a lot of weight. So My worst and highest weight was 129. Then I got some advice from a nutritionist and she said just watch my portions. After I did that...I lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks. that was the first sign of my problem being food b/c i didn't really work out. Then I started working out and the numbers wouldn't budge. Then I started working out 2 times per day and i lost 2 pounds in 2 weeks....but now I'm stuck at 123. so this is when i decided to start looking at food diaries. This is when I realized food was the real problem. I could not believe how food adds up so quickly!! I guess I was in denial and didn't want to watch everything, but now i realize that i have to if i want to be 118. I miss wearing my cute clothes and being in shape. and of course the older i get the harder it is to get the weight off so I totally understand you. I binge as well. it sucks...I will be good all day and then dinner is the hardest part for me. i just want everything in sight.
    How did you find your BMR? I found a BMR calculator online but it said mine was about 1300 calories. I thought that number was off since you and i are around the same age and if yours is 800 mine can't possibly be 1300.
    I really commend you for working out at the arena. that is awesome!! I actually did something similar...my boyfriend plays in a football league and while he plays..i decided to walk around the track so I"m not just sitting there eating and munching on crap. I was able to burn 300 calories!! yipee:) I even added the stairs. Do you use a HR monitor? Do you use the food diary?
    If you dont' mind me asking...how many calories do you eat a day and how many do your try to burn through exercise?
    Whatever you are doing..works for you and that is great...as long as you are getting your nutrition..i dont' think it matters when you eat. it sounds like you have a great system that works for you:) I am highly motivated by your experience and I'm going to try creative ways to work out instead of sitting around....and figure something out about the food. And I love the clothes idea...I promised myself i would buy cute workout clothes once i got to 118. so i hope this food diary works...i have to admit...i am more diligent since i started tracking my food and i hope it works!!! It definitely opened my eyes to how much food i was eating...
    Thank you so much for sharing!!! I really appreciate it! If you have more time, I would love to hear more. Keep it up!!!