calories in vs. calories out question

Options
I have been keeping myself happy and satisfied thinking that calories in vs. calories out is all that matters...but I'm starting to worry after talking with a friend who is on weight watchers. The way i understand it is that weight watchers assigns points based on fat, fiber, carbs, protein...etc. and the healthier the food the less points. I eat 3 small filling meals with lots of veggies, but my 3 snacks consist mostly of processed sugar or natural sugar from fruit. Is this going to backfire on reaching my goals? Later in the day I usually eat 100 calorie packs or vitamuffins for my snacks so I'm staying under my daily calorie goal but going over on my sugar allowance, and my friend doesn't eat the same snacks because they are assigned higher points. I exercise and I usually go over my protein and fiber too, so I'm not unhealthy. My question is what is the official rule? Is it calories in vs. calories out or does it matter what I eat?

Replies

• IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good question. I'll be watching to see the answers you get. Very curious about this myself.
  • crystallized
    crystallized Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think watching your calorie intake or being on Weight Watchers doesn't matter. What matters is that you eat better and I'm of the belief that calories in needs to be less than calories out.

Though, I have had friends on WW that have done rather well. If you look at your caloric intake vs. your points on WW....WW doesn't really have you go that far above your required caloric intake anyway, so you lose weight either way.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have been keeping myself happy and satisfied thinking that calories in vs. calories out is all that matters...but I'm starting to worry after talking with a friend who is on weight watchers. The way i understand it is that weight watchers assigns points based on fat, fiber, carbs, protein...etc. and the healthier the food the less points. I eat 3 small filling meals with lots of veggies, but my 3 snacks consist mostly of processed sugar or natural sugar from fruit. Is this going to backfire on reaching my goals? Later in the day I usually eat 100 calorie packs or vitamuffins for my snacks so I'm staying under my daily calorie goal but going over on my sugar allowance, and my friend doesn't eat the same snacks because they are assigned higher points. I exercise and I usually go over my protein and fiber too, so I'm not unhealthy. My question is what is the official rule? Is it calories in vs. calories out or does it matter what I eat?

ultimately its calories in vs calories out. That being said, you want to make healthy choices. Weight watchers are making healthy choice therefore their caloric intake is lower.
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can't really give you a good factual answer, but I can speak from my own limited experience. In my much skinnier past I only watched calories for the most part. It worked fine for me but I was eating only processed foods high in sodium. I salted the crap out of my food and probably ate tons of sugar too.

This time around I am keeping an eye on sodium and sugar to see if I can lose more belly fat. I also believe there are long term health benefits to keeping a low sodium diet.

Like I said, don't take what I say as fact... merely just a guess based on my own past.
  • not2late
    not2late Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You will find many different answers and opinions many of which may seem contradictory and all of which will have armies of ardent, vociferous followers. Some will insist that there are healthy foods and unhealthy foods, and that junk food is bad. They will also insist that the GI, Glycemic index of carbohydrates is important.

Read this article http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-11-09/entertainment/27080716_1_junk-food-food-diary-unhealthy-food

This is where a nutrition professor proved the point that it is just the calories that count. He ate a calorie controlled junk food diet and lost 27 pounds in 2 months.

He did supplement the diet with a protein shake, vitamins and vegetables. So, forget the myths, control your calories however you take them and you will lose weight. Just make sure that you get all the other nutirients you need either from fresh whole foods or any of the other sources available.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Of course it matters what you eat. Everyone here would say that a limiting diet of 1300cal/day would probably net in weight loss. Would anyone do that diet with just beer? Nope. Now understandably that's an extreme example. But you kind of get the idea. Processed carbs and sugar are high gi foods and will cause you to crash and leave you feeling hungrier sooner. There are other reactions to other types of foods as well, I'm merely pointing out your sugar use.

EDIT: And I would hope everyone here would also understand the difference between knowing what is the norm in dieting, and not using a case study of one and applying that to all human nutrition. Mark Haub's weight loss was abnormal. Meaning, we can't expect to follow it and expect the same results.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I am not perfect by any means, but I really strive to keep all my food as "clean" and "unprocessed" as possible. There are even fabulous snacks out there that are free of the processing. I am finding that eating this way is turning out to be fabulous for things like my skin and hair. There are added benefits to skipping the processed foods or sugary snacks. (Again, I want to stress, I am not perfect by any means)
  • j444
    j444 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That is pretty much what I was worrying about! My belly is flatter after a month and a half of counting calories, i lost 5 lbs (5'9 155lbs) but I am worried that I am missing out on losing more belly and I am wondering if I can do so by eating less sugar. It sounds like it worked for you...I guess there is only one way for me to find out :(
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you were commenting on my post but I can say without a doubt, my belly is not flat. Even when I was thin I always had a bit of one. I am hoping to find out if that was from sodium and sugar or if it's just how I am built.

I'm still in the early stages of learning. One thing I can say 100% is that the foods I am currently eating have made me feel more satisfied than in past diets. I haven't had really strong cravings and I don't feel like I am starving between meals, which is the best.
  • not2late
    Options
    You have hit the nail on the head about finding out for your self, finding what works for you.

It seems that the less processed the food is, the fewer foreign substances like preservatives, artificial sweeters and other chemicals that may affect mood, health and metabolism. Sugar is a processed/refined food. If you can keep your sugar intake to natural, unrefined sources you can more easily limit the calories you take in from sugars. Remember that a gram of sucrose in white sugar has the same calories as a gram of sucrose in orange juice!
  • cacrat
    Options
    Remember that a gram of sucrose in white sugar has the same calories as a gram of sucrose in orange juice!

Not quite. There are other benefits to eating a piece of fruit than to some table sugar. Its like saying a gram of carbohydrates from white bread is the same as a gram of carbs from a piece of whole wheat. While true, there are other benefits to eating the better one. Further, anyone can eat/drink the same amount of sucrose/fructose as they can table sugar. Unless we're talking HFCS, but that's another ball of wax.
  • not2late
    Options
    Remember that a gram of sucrose in white sugar has the same calories as a gram of sucrose in orange juice!

Not quite. There are other benefits to eating a piece of fruit than to some table sugar. Its like saying a gram of carbohydrates from white bread is the same as a gram of carbs from a piece of whole wheat. While true, there are other benefits to eating the better one. Further, anyone can eat/drink the same amount of sucrose/fructose as they can table sugar. Unless we're talking HFCS, but that's another ball of wax.

I was making no disticinction between the other nutritional values contained in refined sugar vs orange juice. At the end of the proverbial day, if you consume 500 cals of white bread or 500cals of finest whole meal bread, the calorie intake will be more or less the same. The fact seems to be that consuming low processed foods with all other nutrients left in is likely to be beneficial to ones health.

This is where MFP comes into it's own. If you enter all of the things that you put into your mouth, including the sugar and calorie laden "healthy" fruit juices, the sugar laden ketchup etc you will find where sneaky calories, sugar and salt is hiding.

That is one of the reason why MFP is helpful for so many.
  • cacrat
    Options
    Very true, as long as we're now conscious of what we're eating, it usually helps.