Do you eat post workout

Options
After workouts im so hungry but its bedtime. Should i eat or not. If yes whats a good post workout snack

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I do a serving of fruit, with .5c of milk and protein powder (plus .5c water)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Or... 6oz greek yogurt, 1/2 a graham cracker sheet and 1tbs choc chips
  • ashlenburke
    Options
    An energy bar or fruit.
  • Shaye85
    Shaye85 Posts: 107
    Options
    something with protien
  • lordofultima
    Options
    After workout I DESTROY a meal, though that's usually 1 meal into the day so relatively early. Protein is an absolute necessity after working out, going to bed or not. For me, I get like 4 pieces of whole wheat toast, some veggies, and a protein shake.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I workout half way into my shift at work (yes, I get the liberty of working out at work) so i do a quick shot of protein (GNC AMP Wheybolic extreme: 1 scoop =20 grams of protein). I mix it with milk and then I usually wait about half and hour or an hour and eat dinner.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i've had this same question myself. i try not to eat after 8pm, but one of my exercise classes doesn't get out until 8:20 on some days, adnd 9:20 on other days and I'm always starving after those classes. last night, i burned 1216 calories at zumba according to my HRM, and was starving afterwards because I had only eaten 1244 calories that day. i'm looking forward to reading the responses here, too!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i do, but i normally work out late morning, so by the time im done, its lunch time!
  • Proudmumofboys
    Options
    The luna bars (Chocolate over nutz), is very good, lots of protein, as well as they Kashi crunch bars, lots of protein.. I normally have one of those before or after a work out.. Other things..

Toast w/ peanut butter, crackers w/ peanut butter, banana, Cereal w/ fat free milk and fresh fruit, or oatmeal w/ fresh fruit..
  • ImmortalWings17
    ImmortalWings17 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I exercise an hour after I eat supper, or I get sick and light headed. I don't think exercising on an empty stomache is good, but I also don't think an absurdly full on is ideal either. That's just me:) Hope it helps.
  • jadedjade24
    Options
    I have a protein shake. Its 100 calories and 15g of protein. But I exercise sometimes before dinner, so that takes care of the hunger issue. But when I do it after dinner, its all about the shake.
  • drath
    drath Posts: 2
    Options
    Its best not to exercise right before bedtime because your body needs time and warm down. and eating right before bedtime is not good because once you are asleep, your metabolism almost completely stops.

Otherwise, yes, its important to eat after a work out to help your body recover. Right after working out, having a boost of protein in your blood stream helps build muscle mass.
  • AmyJopp
    AmyJopp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    or melted peanut butter mixed with oats YUM!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evening and almost always have a snack afterwards - high protein, good fats. Typically some yogurt or cottage cheese and some almonds, and usually some fruit. Unless eating late disturbs your sleep, it's a good idea to get some protein after a workout, to help repair the damage done to muscles.
  • juldga
    juldga Posts: 119
    Options
    After my baby goes to bed is the only time i have someone to watch her so i can go
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a pre workout meal and meet your calories and macro britons for the day, there is little need for a post workout meet
  • smalltowngirl504
    Options
    I eat an apple... :) I have always been a late eater though I am working on that
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    I usually work out in the evenings - around 6pm - I always have either almonds/hi fibre hi protein bar:smile: or the little Protein packs by Sunbeam - and then have tea around 8pm