Splenda (and evil artifical sweetners) go Stevia!

Options
I've noticed a lot of people add Splenda in their diet as a sugar substitute. I want remind people that all artificial sweetners are evil.

Equal and Sweet N Low are the worst containing Aspartaine. Splenda is a little better containing Sucralose. Sucralose has been linked to a lot of problems like migraine head aches, skin rashes/flushing, panic-like agitation, dizziness and numbness, diarrhea, swelling, muscle aches, headaches, intestinal cramping, bladder issues, and stomach pain. Splenda hasn't had enough time on market for real long term studies, only about 11 years. The studies on it have only been a couple of months long in small groups (under 200 people). So we really don't know the long term affects of Sucralose.

Aspartine is linked to cancer, so you should really avoid it. We put so much other junk in our bodies that it's best to eliminate this stuff when we can.

I've started using Stevia based sweetners. Stevia is a plant extract so it's at least not made in a lab. It's considered 300X sweeter than sugar so you don't need as much. People have been using Stevia for over 3000 years and there isn't any known issues with it. It has healing properties and helps restore enamel in your teeth amongst other positive properties.

I use 1 packet in a coffee where I'd maybe use 2 of sugar or Splenda.

Coca-cola Company has already patented 24 recipes using Stevia instead of Aspratine

I bought a box of 400 packets at Costco, which should last a life time, or at least 1-2 years. They sell it under the name Pure Via

I really recommend you stop using Splenda, Equal, Sweet N Low and any other artificial sweetner you're using today. Switch to a Stevia based sweetner.

Resources:
http://www.steviasideeffects.org/
http://www.pureviaforhealth.com/Studies/Papers.aspx
http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx

Replies

• ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    so do they make this in a larger batch , so if I wanted to cook with it or make tea??
    Ive not heard of this product before
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i love my splenda ......... even if it kills me
  • fatboypup
    Options
    and i tried stevia once it tasted like *kitten*
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    What brand did you try? I use the Pure Via brand in my coffee I like it. Weird.
  • pjfmaui73
    Options
    Sun Crystals have sweetener packages made from Stevia. Tastes good, usually only need 1/2 pkg in coffee. This is what I use. Thanks for the info!!:happy:
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    so do they make this in a larger batch , so if I wanted to cook with it or make tea??
    Ive not heard of this product before

Found a 4oz bottle on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E5E3LW?ie=UTF8&tag=greenreviews-20&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=B001E5E3LW
  • italy1677
    Options
    I've heard bad things about stevia too, and sugar is also bad. I guess that means all sweeteners whether natural or artificial aren't that good for us :grumble:
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Susta is another new sweetener that they say is safe. Also fyi... they process splenda with Bleach!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia as well. I used to have a box of Pure Via, and just ran out a couple weeks ago, so I've been trying to go through the liquid bottle of Stevia I have. I hate using it though, so I need to go out and buy a new box of packets.
  • fatboypup
    Options
    maybe it was truvia ..... ill give the pure via at costco a try
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    i use one called truvia. I love it.! Splenda kills my stomach. I would eat sugar first
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Purvia is owned by Pepsi company and they grow Genetically modified plants to produce and process the stevia. By the time it reaches the store, Purvia is a highly processed product and not all that healthy.

Truvia is owned by Coca-Cola Company, and they grow Genetically modified plants to produce and process the stevia. By the time it reaches the store, Truvia is a highly processed product and not all that healthy.

If you want a Natural stevia sweetener you will need to get it from a health food store, not a mainstream grocery store or Wal-mart type stores. The truth of the matter is these are "highly processed products".

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/180927-truvia-and-purevia-leave-it-on-the-grocery-store-shelf

I get sweetleaf stevia from my local health food store.
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    you could also try agave its a natural sweetener as well and i buy it from a health food store its caramel coloured granules
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    you could also try agave its a natural sweetener as well and i buy it from a health food store its caramel coloured granules

Agave nectar is another product that is healthy from a health food store, but the ones found on regular grocery store shelves has been found to have HFCS in it.

Things found in main stream stores often times are "marketed" as healthy when in fact they are highly processed and no longer in a healthy state.
  • pjfmaui73
    Options
    what about Sun Crystals...it says it's stevia and pure sugar cane
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    Everything in moderation. :happy:
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey on the Splenda and the Crystal Light just this past week.
    My plan is to not replace it with any sweetener of any kind.
    It's surprising how fast you can adjust your tastebuds to not need that overly sweet taste.
  • elmaly
    elmaly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to get into using stevia and just cannot get a taste for it. I don't like the teas that have it in them either (i.e. Yogi Teas often have it in them). To me, it's cloyingly sweet and it has an unpleasant aftertaste, but I find that true with the artificial sweeteners too. For me, I just have to use moderation but stick with regular sugar.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    and i tried stevia once it tasted like *kitten*

For a moment I was going to ask how you knew what *kitten* tasted like then decided, you know, I REALLY don't want an answer to that. ^_^

For me, I'll stick with honey and actual sugar in moderation. I dislike any of the sugar substitutes- most are highly processed and not very good for you, stevia included. Also, "substitutes" become a crutch, not an actual solution to eating too much sugar. The only time I might consider stevia would be in plant form and then I'd consider it just another plant used for flavoring dishes. Slowly, slowly I'm cutting out all the unhealthy highly processed crud from my diet and lowering my sodium and sugar intake.