First time swimmer - need help!

Options
While I know how to swim (poorly) it's not something I have done since I took one class in college (over 12 years ago). Went lap swimming for the first time tonight: foot cramps (wtf?), water in my ears, HR monitor stopped working the moment I got in the pool. I lasted about 20 minutes of my planned hour. Any advice (gadgets, techniques, etc) would be most appreciated!

Replies

• cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat last summer. It was awful the first couple times. But if you knew how to swim before, you'll pick it up. Its like riding a bike. Just start out slow and try to find your rhythm.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I just jumped in the pool again in December after about a 10 year layoff and could barely swim the length of the pool. Tonight, I did 500 meters without a break and 1300 total. It will come back. Just make sure to breathe and push yourself just a little harder every time out. You'll feel like you are dying your first few sessions in the pool, but you'll get there. Good luck!!
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    While I know how to swim (poorly) it's not something I have done since I took one class in college (over 12 years ago). Went lap swimming for the first time tonight: foot cramps (wtf?), water in my ears, HR monitor stopped working the moment I got in the pool. I lasted about 20 minutes of my planned hour. Any advice (gadgets, techniques, etc) would be most appreciated!

Former Canadian National swim team member here. The advice I like to give to people is the following
    1) Count your strokes per length of the pool. The fewer strokes the more efficient you are.
    2) On freestyle concentrate on catching the water with your hand, pull your hand all the way back to your hips well maintaining your elbow higher than the hand.
    3) If you want a gadget get hand paddles, they will help you get the feel for the water.

Good luck. :smile:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I love swimming, and for just getting back into the water, just get in and move, don't worry about "Form" etc just get in there and move, it'll come. I am thrilled to just get in the pool, haven't been in one in almost 2 years now, when I get back in one I'll just get in and move, then I'll see how much of the length I can do underwater, giving myself a mark to shoot for. I got up to 3/4 of the length of the pool when I was last swimming regularly all underwater. I'd do laps eventually, but I always took the casual lane and paid attention for the faster swimmers.
  • picturesing
    Options
    Swimming is one of the best excercises possible - low impact and you can really get your heart rate up. I'm using an underwater MP3 player and Oooooo my gosh - what a difference! I can swim for a long time and not get bored. When I get tired - I play a game with myself...one more song.....LOL - it works! Also I use swim fins, mask and snorkle to mix it up. Plus fins really change the resistance - great workout! As with all our journeys just keep going. :flowerforyou:
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The foot cramps may be from them being used in a way that they are not used to or that you are pointing too hard during front crawl or flex too hard during breaststroke.

I also think that an hour is pretty ambitious if you have not been in the pool for awhile. Ease back into swim workouts. You have to get used to the breathing again.

Check to see if you can borrow swim accessories from your pool- kick boards, paddles, swim buoys, etc. You may need to work on some drills for the next couple of swim workouts just to reacclimate yourself.

I am so looking forward to my pool reopening. Just one more week to go.

Good Luck to you.
  • heidipalmquist
    Options
    The best thing for swimming is learning how to relax in the water. Use a kick board, fins, pull buoy, goggles--anything to make it easier. Once you relax in the water, you will be able to swim forever! Take frequent rests; try to keep your breathing normal, don't gasp for air or splash the water vigorously. Good luck. I've been swimming for about 15 years and it is very therapeutic because you get exercise and relax your whole body all at the same time. Aim for 20-30 minutes and gradually add more.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The best thing for swimming is learning how to relax in the water. Use a kick board, fins, pull buoy, goggles--anything to make it easier. Once you relax in the water, you will be able to swim forever! Take frequent rests; try to keep your breathing normal, don't gasp for air or splash the water vigorously. Good luck. I've been swimming for about 15 years and it is very therapeutic because you get exercise and relax your whole body all at the same time. Aim for 20-30 minutes and gradually add more.

absolutely!

Also, go to You Tube and watch videos on swimming ---- there's some great ones. Wish you were in Phoenix, I'd take you out for a swim - I love swimming.

Relax, and glide :) it's a great work out. The pull buoy is my favorite --- it will teach you how to glide and you can concentrate on your stroke.

On beginnertriathlete.com, there are a bunch of swim instructions. It's all technique to enjoy it and have an energy efficient swim :)

Sweet! Good Luck to you!

p.s. if you can afford it, it is worth every penny to have an endurance/triathlon coach spend an hour with you and just help you get your form right.
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Try eating bananas if you are getting cramps. The potassium in those should help alleviate some of that.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

I used to compete in high school (breaststroke). I just get back swimming this Jan, god I missed it. We have swim class on Tue/Thur, so I also got to start learning freestyle, which is completely out of my comfort zone, and very hard. It takes some time to get use to, but you will get better.

Try search online or get a book or look up some video on how to to the swim (with style you want to learn). Start with practicing legs and arms separately. It's important to get your form right.

* Foot cramp can be due to (1) didn't warm up (2) your form is not right.

* Water in ears. I start getting that when I started learning freestyle. Took me a week to get water out of my ears. Since then, I've been using ear plugs (those for swimming). That definitely solved the problem and I won't go there without ear plugs any more.

* HR monitor. Does your HR monitor meant for using under water? If so it should be working, otherwise either return/exchange (if not too late), or get a new one. I have Polar FT7 and it's ok for swimming (not diving, and don't push button under water).

* 20 min workout. Nothing wrong with only last 20 minutes. You will improve over time, be patient and enjoy it gradually. An example: when I started back in Jan, the trainer asked us to swim across use as few breathing as possible, or try to do it across only one breath. My first time, I was constantly gulping for airs. After about 1 month, now I can swim across one breath.

Hope you won't give up. Swimming is a very good exercises, low impact, tone up your body nicely. Enjoy!
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Every two laps mix it up and do a different style of swim
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Those are some great resources....ear plugs are a must...still trying to get the water out (ARGH!). :laugh: