Determined but without support network

Options
Hi. I weighed myself today for the first time in almost two years. I realized that in these past two years, I gained around 20 lbs. I should have spent the last two years *losing* 20 lbs, not gaining another 20. I've never dieted. The weight has just crept up during the past decade. At my most fit in my 20s, I weighed around 135 and had a 29" waist and felt fantastic. Now, having recently turned 40, I weighed myself to find that I weigh 199 lbs.

I don't eat desserts and sweets. I don't eat refined starches. I don't drink soda. I'm a vegan and mostly eat a lot of vegetables, whole grains, legumes, some processed soy foods. I drink red wine with meals -- my weakness. I bike to work and to get everything I need, but I'm a 10-15 minute ride away from either the office or the store, all flat roads, so I don't get tons of exercise from it. I work in an office where I spend most of my time glued to my computer. Aside from dealing with chores at home (cooking, cleaning, taking care of 3 feline rascals), I often spend my evenings there at my computer, as well, reading or streaming things, Skyping with friends.

I guess that I need to address that although I generally eat healthy foods that I eat too much and that I really, really need to get more exercise. Most of my local friends are uninterested in getting out to move around and most of them could stand to lose a few pounds, themselves. I'm pretty much on my own in terms of scheduling activity for myself. I don't have the funds to join a gym (and am not sure that even if I could, I'd feel comfortable with my weight right now to be exercising in public at a place where most seem to be fit and maintaining that fitness). I've actually had some friends tell me that I'm being fat-phobic and displaying low self-confidence in asserting that I really need to lose weight, but the truth is that I weigh more now than I ever have in my life and it's neither healthy nor attractive and I want to change it. I've had other friends recommend specific fad diets, but I'm not interested in a fad diet. Right now, I want to shed pounds, in as healthy a way that I can do so. I want to make a big difference, and to then keep chipping away until I'm at a good weight.

Replies

• doramouse
    Options
    You sound just like me! In many many ways. I'll just say I'm 42, 5'4 and in Oct was 195.6 lbs - today I am 183 and on my way to being healthy. The gym I go to is just $20.00 per month and most people there are NOT fit and maintaining but like me and trying to get fit. That said -only you can know if you want to, are able to afford and/or if the gym is right for you.
    My husband works out at home with videos and walking/running the neighborhood. Everyone has to do what is right for them.
    Feel free to friend me - I'll support you.
  • PiersonWillis
    Options
    Sounds like your off to a good start as far as diet goes. My advice would be to simply lower the portion size of your meals, and you should see the weight start to slip away. Once you are comfortable with exercising in public i would suggest a gentle jog once a day or so .. perhaps a 2km jog?

On a side note, do you skip breakfast?
  • mcmcat13
    mcmcat13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym and doing exercise videos first. My personal favorites were Jillian Michel's 30 Day Shred and The Biggest Loser Workout. At the gym, I would do kickboxing, cardio on the elliptical or arc trainer and then have some fun at Zumba or spinning classes. Its always best to find a buddy! :) Bottom line: Working out at least 5 times a week doing something active for 30 minutes or longer. Once I started feeling good because of the exercising, I began to cut back portion sizes and tried to make lunch my larger meal. I am careful about what I eat, but I don't starve myself. If I am craving a certain food or its my birthday, I am going to eat a piece of cake, but I will account for it with making another portion size smaller or through added exercise. So far I have lost about 15 pounds and I feel much healthier. It takes time to see weight begin to come off, but seeing the pounds disappear and receiving compliments will keep you going! Good luck! :)