Experience with a Nutritionist? On the fence...

MissMe2morrow
MissMe2morrow Posts: 96
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been thinking lately about seeing a nutritionist, but I have some doubts about how helpful one would actually be. First off, I'm vegetarian but don't eat any animal products besides yogurt and Amish eggs (no cages, no hormones, varied diet). So I'm not convinced that a dietitian is going to have any idea what to do when s/he can't recommend lean meats, etc. Also, if I put in effort, I'm pretty decent at figuring out my dietary needs, but here's the kicker: I can be lazy. Better said, I am a busy person and I choose to spend my limited free time doing things other than menu planning.

So here's my question: if you have been to see a dietitian/nutritionist, was it a good experience? Did you find that it really helped you understand how to combine foods and expand your "food vocabulary"? I would really love both success and horror stories, and of course, advice! Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    i saw a nutritionist before i began this journey..i loved it..he put everything and i mean everything into perspective for me..we still chit chat on a regular basis to check out my progres...he offeres tips suggestions advise and anything else I need..i would suggest it..great experience..
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    I went to a nutritionist through one of the local medical centers - Cost me $100 out of pocket, and I was really disappointed with the info / advice provided. The person I met with really did not provide me with any info that I couldn't of found at a good medical website like Mayo Clinic or WebMD. So, unless you are completely clueless about diet and clean eating, (especially since you are following vegan lifestyle), I'd question the value you'd derive. One thing I have been considering is going to the grocery store- they use the NuVal system and have a walk around to explain the benefits and system being used.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    If I were you I would search for a registered dietitian that specializes in vegetarian diets. They have to exist and I bet could give you some valuable insight.
  • The nutritionist I saw talked to me more about what I was already eating, advised what to cut out and had conversations about portions. It was awhile ago, but I dont remember her recommending foods. My guess would be that they would talk to you about making optimal combinations given your dietary limitations, but that is just a guess. Been thinking about going back for a checkup myself.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    I personally didn't gain any new insites from the lady that I saw who was supposed to be a nutritionist. I took my log sheets from this site and she told me I wasn't getting enough calories and gave me a Canadain food guide and some sheets that had about all the info I already knew.

Someone that a person pays might be a better choice but I for one was not impressed with the appointment that I had with a provincialy paid nutritionist.

Good luck.
    Brenda
  • verjavec
    verjavec Posts: 30 Member
    I would hope they would be well versed in all diets. But if not, I'm sure there are some that specialize in the type of diet you are looking for. I have no experience myself, so I'm just guessing. I have also considered one but been hesitant due to my restricted diet of no gluten, dairy, nightshades or sugar. But, if I could get some more ideas on foods I can eat and how to prepare them, I sure would love some more variety in my meals!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Find a vegetarian or vegan nutritionist then, or one who specializes in that area. Not all nutritionists are going to be carnivores! Do some research. If you think you need one, find one that works for you! I think it could be a great asset if you can afford it.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    I finished my bachelor's degree in dietetics in 2009 and completed my post graduate internship less than a year ago. Registered dietitians are trained not only to understand and work with the needs of vegetarians and vegans but also individual dietary needs in various cultures and religions. You'd be surprised how much we have to learn! I know I was when I got into the thick of our curriculum. There is so much to learn and know about nutrition that many dietitians pursue expanded knowledge in specific areas within the field such as pediatrics, diabetes, renal care, enteral/parenteral nutrition, long-term care, food sensitivities, weight loss, eating disorders, etc. The possibilities are nearly endless as our field is wide and varied. My suggestion would be to visit www.eatright.org which is the website for the American Dietetic Association. You can do a search to find registered dietitians in your area and then search them individually to see what type of counseling they offer. Most dietitians are proficient at working with individual needs such as yours. Its what we spend five years of our lives working to learn (many dietitians have graduate degrees which adds even more time to their credentials).

I hope you get some good feedback here about individual experiences. Best wishes to you on your journey! :)

~Angela
  • Liss1
    Liss1 Posts: 49 Member
    No nutritionist, but I went to weight watchers a long time ago for about 3 days. I felt like they teach you good habbits.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    I've never been to a dietitian but I am a dietitian. I definitely think that whoever you go to would be very well equipped to deal with the vegetarianism - it's one of the things we come across all the time.

As for the experience you will have, it really depends on the style of the dietitian and likely relates to how much experience they have. A recent graduate may be likely to be more food focused. But the whole point of seeing a dietitian is supposed to be that we help you overcome your individual barriers rather than giving you some diet sheet that you probably could have found on the internet. We are trained to help facilitate behaviour change, not just talk to you about diet. A good dietitian will focus on this rather than on food.

Basically, you tell us if/why you can't do the things we are suggesting and we are supposed to tell you why/how you can!
  • NiftyNancy
    NiftyNancy Posts: 26 Member
    Unfortunately, I did not have a good experience with a nutritionist. I went to an RD and she was the best of the best and I paid top dollar for her.
    She didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know...in terms of portions...food groups...calories..etc...I'm pretty knowledgeable about nutrition so I was disappointed that I didn't learn anything new.
    Also, we both agreed that I was an emotional eater and she tried to teach to stop by eating until full, do something else besides eat when you are bored. etc etc...I tried this for 2 months and I didn't lose any weight at all. And I wasn't able to change my emotional eating. All of the advice she gave me I've read in tons of magazines...there are a ton of books on the subject. Same stuff. I just felt like I was just coming in for follow ups to tell her what i was doing..and all she would say..is ok, keep doing that and I was on my way..i didn't see the point in going in and paying $100 for a 30 min appt. to tell me to keep trying to eat at the table, eat slowly, pick healthy foods..blah blah....so I stopped going. I'm getting more out the food tracker on this site than anything. also, if your goal is to lose weight, and you stil lwant to see an RD, I would go to one who used to be overweight and learned how to lose the weight. I think they may understand you more than someone who has always been thin. also if you don't know anything about nutrition, you may get value, but for someone like me, it was a waste of money. She even told me that exercise was a waste of time for losing weight...anyway..enough of that. good luck.
  • Thanks everyone for all the stories and information-- it's really helpful! Keep 'em coming! :bigsmile:
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Just wanted to point out the difference between a nutritionist and a registered dietitian. Anybody can hang out a shingle and call themselves a nutritionist so I would avoid those. If you decide to see someone, make sure it's a registered dietitian. Best of luck to you!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    I found my visits to the dietician to be VERY beneficial. While I was pretty much on track with my caloric intake, I found that I wasn't eating enough fiber or fat. Imagine being on a diet and being told to eat MORE fat. It was hysterical. However, she was right -- and I'm STILL working on my fat intake. I found that the money spent on dietician visits was well spent.
  • NiftyNancy
    NiftyNancy Posts: 26 Member
    Just wanted to clarify that the nutritionist I went to see was an RD. I use the terms interchangeably.
This discussion has been closed.