the great debate!

Options
are potatoes a good source of nutrient or are they simpley bad carbs? do they turn to sugar in your body? to eat or not to eat?

Replies

• Dancer4Lifee
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are the best; an excellent source of nutrients, but not nearly as much starch!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Potatoes as potatoes ie baked with skin I don't have a problem with. I enjoy my mashed potatoes too though my mashed potatoes are just boiled potatoes (steamed lately) that are mashed, no added butter, milk or cream or anything.

Potatoes as pre-packaged oven/deep fryer ready fries with their added oil and whatever else is on the list, (almost bought some tonight until I saw the 20 ingredients in the list. And they almost got me in the butter section too, they had a 50/50 package there, I was thinking what? then looked at ingredients... butter part... cream and salt... margarine part... again 15 or more items, put that back and grabbed the real pound of butter.)

Eat a potato, not a 5lb bag, try sweet potatoes or yams...
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    p.s. i eat one white potatoe with the peels that is microwaved to be cooked. i but salt peper and vinegar on it and occasioanly a dash of red wine!
  • amohon
    amohon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My problem is I haven't eaten a sweet potatoe in decades. Not sure the right way to make them to taste good
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My problem is I haven't eaten a sweet potatoe in decades. Not sure the right way to make them to taste good

p.s.s. sweet potatoes are best if baked and then you sprinkle cinnamon and splenda on with no butter!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of sweet potatoes but pretty much any other kind (red, white, yukon, fingerling, purple...etc?) is delicious. While I LOVE my mashed potatoes, a much healthier prep method is to cut them into segments about the size of a quarter (so, quartered for most, more chopped for larger). mix with salt, pepper, and whatever herbs you like -- rosemary, garlic, thyme, are all good--and olive oil, and oven roast until crispy. SO delicious, and healthy. Leave the skins on for added nutrients.
  • nelliemagee
    Options
    Cook them in the microwave with some normal potatoes and a clove or 2 of garlic. Then mash and add some fresh thyme.
  • tjarzy
    tjarzy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In small quantities potatoes are amazing! Did you know that they have more potassium then Bananas? I typically eat diced potatoes, egg whites, and broccoli for breakfast days I know I will do cardio
  • cheriefes
    cheriefes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Peel the sweet potato and cut thin. Then saute them in a little olive oil till they are tender, add a little salt and pepper. I also like to saute onions with it, that is very good too.
  • hardlyreal
    hardlyreal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think that the big issues with potatoes is, of course, portion size. I could easily eat two cups of the healthiest potatoes in the world, but the reality is that a portion of potato is about the size of your average computer mouse. So as long as you keep on top of the portion size and keep out the calorie-adding-extras, they're probably ok.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    if you're going to eat the skin, be sure it's organic and even then scrub the crap out of it. it used to be the most nutritious part of the potato, but nowadays they fumigate the ground to toughen the skin for travel.

sweet potatoes are more nutritous.