Banned Foods, My Opinion.

Options
I have to say something thats.. well it’s not bothering me, but it almost worries me.

Some of the girls I see in forum talk about their “Banned Food Lists” and ugh, just ugh ladies.

NO FOOD SHOULD BE BANNED. Thats a horrible way of thinking about this lifestyle changing journey you should be on. Food is nutrtion, yes Oreos and Goldfish and Ice Cream are yummy but not as nutritional as greens and fruits and lean meats, etc. That’s no reason to ‘ban’ them from your life. That’s only going to make you feel deprived at one point or another. You may not feel that way now, but eventually the feeling of “Why not me!?” is going to creep up on you. Those foods are everywhere, and you’re going to go somewhere where the availability to eat them will be right in front of you. So, instead of seeing that, losing your ‘willpower’ and eating an entire platter of something bad, HALT.

◦HALT is a really good recognition technique, Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.

-You’re Hungry - obviously if youre restricting your intake too much, or it isn’t time for your next meal yet and youre presented with this bad food.

-You’re Angry - that you can’t have said food because you’ve banned it.

-You’re Lonely - because in your mind, everyone is has free range to eat that food and you can’t.

-You’re Tired - of always having to resist, and therefore, cycling over and over the first three things.

So what i’m trying to say is, don’t ban food from youre life. Thats an unhealthy way of thinking. Learn moderation, learn portions. And if you fail your first attempt, don’t worry! We’re imperfect creatures and its only failing if you say it is. A mistake sounds a lot softer than failing. Call it an oopsies if you want, anything to stop yourself from turning sour and negative on your mind, that wont help you.

Alright, enough ranting from the Queen. Ta!

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    no food should be banned, but that means we have to know what food is.

oreos are not food..
  • katerinab
    Options
    I agree. One or two oreos is not going to kill you, but it will likely be enough to satisfy. Want some chips? Open the bag, measure out ONE serving, seal the bag, and put it all the way AWAY where it goes before sitting down to eat your snack. If it's sitting on the kitchen counter open waiting for you to deal with it after you finished, I can pretty much guarantee your hand will go back in that bag for "just one more" a few more times LOL Or ask to share a bite from someone else's piece of pie or cake - hopefully they'll be nice enough to share. They probably don't NEED to eat the whole piece, and you can feel good having just a bite or two, so it all works.

Yes, you really CAN have your cake and eat it too. You just need to learn a proper portion size and a proper way to make sure you STICK with that proper serving. I can deal with one square from the chocolate bar instead of a whole bar. I can get one piece of cake and share it with my husband and my son. I can buy single serving cups of ice cream rather than attempt to figure out how to accurately measure a half cup (plus it eliminates the whole Are you serious? That can't be right - it's so SMALL! thinking when it IS accurately measured).

Sure, cut it out if you don't truly like it or if there's a good medical reason you shouldn't have it like an allergy, but otherwise work it into your calorie counts once in awhile. I can honestly say an occasional serving of a favorite treat goes a long way for the morale :)
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    no food should be banned, but that means we have to know what food is.

oreos are not food..

I disagree, I track my exercise and food on here, and do a lot of cardio. So the other day I had a couple of Jammie Dodgers and flapjack - so what? I ran 8k and walked another 17k later on... the odd treat, so long as the calories go on the log, is okay, so long as the bigger picture is a healthy lifestyle...

rgds, David
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I've always given myself freedom, which is actually a term I hate. It makes me feel like I treat myself like a child. But whatever, it's the best word for it. From the start I have taken two days off every week from exercise and counting calories. In the beginning it was important because I had a hard time giving up soda, chocolate and chips. Knowing I'd could eat those foods made me stay on track the rest of the week. But more than that, I did it because I knew it would take about a year to get to my goal weight and I wasn't going to miserable. I knew I'd eat junk food occasionally after I lost the weight so I figured I could have it while I was losing weight. It really helped me understand portion control and the importance eating "good" foods rather than "bad". It's been about 4 months since I started here, I've given up soda, fast food, refined sugar, and pretty much everything that isn't a fruit, vegetable, whole grain, lean meat or low fat dairy. I've even stopped eating cheese on my sandwiches which, trust me, was a big deal. But, I have a cupcake every two weeks when I bake them for my math class, I go completely crazy with junk food for a day or two during my TOM and there are still times when I give into the fast food for one reason or another. But, I don't feel bad about any of it. I don't feel bad if I go over my calories either. Because it happens. Life happens. And you'll make yourself crazy if you don't learn how to go with the flow and accept that there will always be ups and downs.
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options
    Well said, at the end of the day is about moderation and will power.I never give up any food i love i just have less of less often. You find after a while you dont really want that bad food anyway!!!
    Ive been craving crisps badly the last few days so yesterday i got some and they sat in the kitchen all night unopened as i didnt want them now i had then wierd huh!!!
  • GiGGiTy3434
    GiGGiTy3434 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How many people can stop at 1 oreo? 2 oreos? Once your body tastes that instant sugar, it wants more. I can understand moderation but to some people it can make it worse. I have been on the GI Diet since Jan 1st and I have lost almost 40 lbs.
    If I go to the store and buy a pack of oreos with the intention of eating 1 or 2 per serving, what's gonna stop me from having 3, 4 or 5 at a time. I would rather just skip buying the temptation. If I'm in the mood for something sweet, I eat fat free no sugar added ice cream which is very good or I make homemade granola bars. Those 100 calorie packs are a good option too for cookies and snacks. I have not had any cookies or anything that isn't fat free or with alot of sugar and honestly, I don't miss it. I am much happier losing weight than satisfying the "thought" of being hungry for sweets.

By no means am I trying to bash your thread, just giving my perspective of it.
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i think that u should be able to eat what u want as along as u kno moderation and portion size. also as long as u record it on here. u cant just stop eating things u like cuz it makes it eaier for u to gain it back.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have to respectfully disagree because for some of us, moderation is indeed a recipe for disaster. So it wouldn't apply to all.
    I get that it works for others, of course.

If I could've practiced moderation with "banned" foods, I wouldn't be fat in the first place.
    For some of us, the solution is indeed to eliminate certain crackfoods from our diets.
    When I forgo the foods that have always caused me trouble, I lose my taste for them and don't miss them.
    I'd have a harder time trying to just eat a few or a little of any of it.

I don't feel deprived not eating these foods. I feel deprived not having the health and body I desire because I couldn't control something that isn't even the slightest bit healthy for me.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I have many foods that I ban from my diet.

The problem is, I can't eat just 1 potato chip or 1 Oreo. I want the whole bag. I know several people have a cheat day usually on a Saturday or Sunday. They can eat whatever they want. I tried that and gained weight. I would rather not but everyone is different.