knee pain

Options
i started jogging every evening, only 0.5 mile as im really unfit so wanted to ease in gently! (its round my block, up a hill then down again)
ive been getting faster and finding it easier but as of 3 days ago my knee has started hurting, i dont remember twisting it but im finding it hard to walk on never mind run! kneeling down is hard too and i find it hurts in the night (like a cramping pain)

should i get a support and keep up the running or give it a rest for a few days? i really wanted to increase my distance and am gutted this has happened! :grumble:

Replies

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Rest until its feeling better, I know its frustrating but you'll only make the injury worse if you contuinue to run on it.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Rest. And if it hurts that much, I'd see the doctor, too! You need to know if this is serious or something rest alone will heal.

There's no point to aggravating an injury and worsening it, as that could derail you for months.

What sort of shoes are you wearing? When you get the OK from the doc to run again, I'd highly recommend going to an actual specialty running store where they watch you run and get you into the right shoe. Once you know what shoe you need, you can buy them wherever they are cheapest, but there is asbolutely no subsitute for the right shoes!

I suffered for months with SCREAMING ankle pain 10 minutes into every run and for hours afterwards until I got the right shoes. Since then, no more pain!
  • snowglassapples
    snowglassapples Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ive just been running in my old addidas trainers.. i may have to invest in a new pair!!
    its very frustrating as ive hit a plateau, ive not lost in weeks, i was losing 1-2lbs a week but now im in a healthy weight its stuck, i started running to try and boost it!!
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    dont eff around with your knees!!!!!!!!!!
    get new sneakers immediately. for running top quality full support sneakers are key
    when running make sure your core is tight. As women we do not know this (and I see this at the gym all the time) our hips are constantly swaying side to side.. excessively. the key is to keep your core tights to minimize this swaying as it misaligns your hips making you more prone to injury in your knees.

i did this with spinning and was in physio for 3 months. when the first pain came i was just like, no worries ill work thru it. then BAM major injury.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    ice your knee and stay off it for a couple of days.

also lie on the floor on your back and with both hands on your shin pull your knee towards your chest - like, a little to the side (back stays on the ground) . does that make sense?

its an amazing stretch.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    ive just been running in my old addidas trainers.. i may have to invest in a new pair!!
    its very frustrating as ive hit a plateau, ive not lost in weeks, i was losing 1-2lbs a week but now im in a healthy weight its stuck, i started running to try and boost it!!

Ugh, those plateaus are so frustrating!

The rule of thumb with shoes is that if you're planning to do a certain sport (yes, running counts) more than 2 hours a week, you should get the right shoes for the sport. Otherise, you risk needless injuries.

You can still do other exercises that don't stress the knees while you are recovering though--you don't have to give up all exercise!
  • snowglassapples
    snowglassapples Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i have to fit in exercise around my daughter, i can do anything 'jumpy' in my flat as it annoyes my downstairs neighbour, i do 60 sit ups and 60 leg lifts (each leg) every day, its just trying to get cardio in that s hard! i walk everywhere, most of the time with my 24lb daughter in a sling so that helps.
    any recommendation on good quality but not too expensive running shoes?? thanks :flowerforyou:
  • Atlantique
    Options
    i have to fit in exercise around my daughter, i can do anything 'jumpy' in my flat as it annoyes my downstairs neighbour, i do 60 sit ups and 60 leg lifts (each leg) every day, its just trying to get cardio in that s hard! i walk everywhere, most of the time with my 24lb daughter in a sling so that helps.
    any recommendation on good quality but not too expensive running shoes?? thanks :flowerforyou:

Most good running shoe manufacturers have a variety of price points in their lines. But you need to know what type of shoe you need first!

Buy the first pair at the specialty running store, after they've fitted you. You're likely to pay full price for these ($85-$125 US for a decent pair). Nike, Asics, Saucony, New Balance and a few other brands all make very reliable products. For me, Asics have been the best as their last is the best fit for my particular feet, but other runners have their favorites as well. It's going to be a combination of the best fit and what sort of cushioning/support you need for the way your feet move when you run and that is why you need to let a specialty running store fit you the first time.

After that, you can watch for sales. Shoe manufacturers turn over their inventory twice a year (I think it's roughly April and October). Basically, they are usually only changing the COLOR of those shoes! So you can shop running catalogs and online sites for last season's color in your particular model and usually get 25% -50% off! (As I'm in the US, I don't think my websites would help as you appear to be in the UK?)

Even if you are not quite up to running a road race just yet, please know that the larger races (half marathons and marathons) have expos a day or two before the race and these are usually open to the general public. You can find all manner of running supplies on huge discount at these expos!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I cannot emphasize enough the importance of visiting a store that really specializes in running shoes. Workers there are trained in analyzing your gait and suggesting shoe styles that will help any problem you have. My knee pain has significantly improved as a result of my visit to such a store 2 weeks ago. Besides the stability shoes I also bought some orthotics the worker suggested to wear in my other shoes for other activities.

I was having trouble sleeping because of the knee pain prior to my visit to this store! I wish I had gone last year before I started my walking/jogging program!
  • LyonInLondon
    LyonInLondon Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with everyone about getting fitted properly for a running shoe ... go get videoed running on a machine so they can see if you pronate or anything. Best thing I ever did! I wear Brooks now.

The other tip for any athlete is RICE ...

R - rest
    I - ice
    C - compression
    E - elevation

Don't run again until you have new shoes and have reduced all inflammation. I did and now I'm stuck in 6 months of physio not being able to do any impact sports!