I don't sweat??

Options
Hey there. When I work out I don't sweat. Sometimes the back of my neck get moist if my hair is down, but otherwise not at all. I think I work as hard as I can and I only take a break when I absolutely have to and even then I try to go a couple minutes more before I take a breather, and its only for 30 seconds or so.

When I'm done, my body has that shaky feeling, am super hot and I'm redder than red in the face.....just no sweat. I think it would be nice to sweat a little bit as I may cool down a bit.

Anyone else not sweat? Could it be that I'm just not going hard enough to break the 'sweat point'?

Replies

• mmelaniewalters
    Options
    lol i wish .. i sweat like im leaking :)
  • MAbbate
    Options
    I'm thinking you may not be drinking enough? Seems to me that if you are dehydrated, you would not sweat. Try drinking water before you exercise.
  • paulreds
    paulreds Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just different peoples bodys reacting in different ways, doesn't mean your not working hard enough
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Definitely drink more water. Your body needs sweat to properly cool down.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Just a thought but have you ever really sweated? If you have and its declined it might be worth getting your thyroid checked as I know decreased sweating is a symptom
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You can have some of mine. LOL. I'm drenched after 5 minutes. Sweating is your body's mechanism to cool down. Your body may just be staying at normal temperature.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I don't really sweat either.

Someone told me once that people who do sweat more have more efficient cooling systems, which would be nice.:( But, yeah, if you're always been this way, and you're fine otherwise, then I shouldn't worry about it.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    i think if its something different that you've noticed, you should get it checked out. definitely try drinking more water, cuz your body has to cool off somehow! :)
  • JudoJones
    Options
    You're right, sweating the bodys cooling mechanism and is very important. And it's always a good idea to get a yearly physical especially when starting something new. Although I have noticed this problem of not sweating with newbies to the gym. With time & consistant workouts, daily, you're body gets better about understanding what's going on. When i was a wrestler, working out all day every day, i would be waiting for my upcoming matches & begin sweating in anticipation. Now, not quite as active, it takes a few minutes of light warming up before the sweat begins.

And water, water, water,
    Scott
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking you may not be drinking enough? Seems to me that if you are dehydrated, you would not sweat. Try drinking water before you exercise.

Agreed,
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's not that you aren't drinking enough water. You would literally be passing out from dehydration before you ever got close to being so dehydrated that you couldn't sweat.

It is true that different bodies respond differently to exercise but as a general rule, the amount that you sweat is determined by how acclimatised you are - both to the temperatures/weather where you are and to working out in that weather. Ever noticed in a gym class how the person sweating the most is the instructor? The more you work out and the fitter you become, the more efficient your body becomes at cooling itself and therefore the more you sweat.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    It's not that you aren't drinking enough water. You would literally be passing out from dehydration before you ever got close to being so dehydrated that you couldn't sweat.

It is true that different bodies respond differently to exercise but as a general rule, the amount that you sweat is determined by how acclimatised you are - both to the temperatures/weather where you are and to working out in that weather. Ever noticed in a gym class how the person sweating the most is the instructor? The more you work out and the fitter you become, the more efficient your body becomes at cooling itself and therefore the more you sweat.

• Grace76
    Options

That makes sense. I don't think its lack of water, I drink between 80 and 120 ounces of water a day.

Thanks everyone. Let hope that the better in shape I get the more I sweat lol.
  • Deszare
    Deszare Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem and still do occasionally. How much water do you drink? When you workout hows the tempreture in the room? Is it really cold? Your body is probably not getting enough water or your body isn't producing enough heat because of the tempreture in the room if indoors . When you work out when your on your monthy you know? Do you actually start sweating? It doesn't mean your not going to loose weight or your not working hard enough. If you are working hard then that can very well be the reason.:happy:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm not a sweater, I'm more of a cotton top :) I know I'm drinking enough water - the difference... I keep my house very cool and work out in a cold room. Even when I run, I don't come back dripping wet, I'm hot and stinky, but not sweat per say. It's still fairly cold here, so when I run it's too cold to sweat much, in the hot summer, I start early in the day.

I've heard that as you get more fit you sweat less as well.
  • Grace76
    Options
    I'm not a sweater, I'm more of a cotton top :) I know I'm drinking enough water - the difference... I keep my house very cool and work out in a cold room. Even when I run, I don't come back dripping wet, I'm hot and stinky, but not sweat per say. It's still fairly cold here, so when I run it's too cold to sweat much, in the hot summer, I start early in the day.

I've heard that as you get more fit you sweat less as well.

Yes, it's still pretty cold here too. In the negative teens. And I work out in our unfinished basement. So maybe that has to do with it too.