Shin Splints

Options
Any idea on how to lessen the pain for shin splints. They get worse the longer I walk after 15min. This morning they are on fire from doing the jogging/running intervals. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• binsylad
    Options
    It is possible to tape them up before you walk.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2206240/how_to_tape_shin_splints/

Happy Walking.

Mike
    Former PTI, British Army
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are usually indicative of wrong or worn out shoes. Have your gait and footstrike analyzed at a dedicated running shoe store. They will recommend the proper shoes for you. Improper shoes will cause all sorts of joint and muscle pain all the way up to your lower back. Breaking in the new shoes you might experience some pain as your feet and legs acclimate to them. After several days to a week that should pass. This happens every time I break in a new pair of shoes. I stop when the shin splints start and switch to a used pair to finish my miles for the day.
  • serenityseeker78
    Options
    Shin splints are usually indicative of wrong or worn out shoes. Have your gait and footstrike analyzed at a dedicated running shoe store. They will recommend the proper shoes for you. Improper shoes will cause all sorts of joint and muscle pain all the way up to your lower back. Breaking in the new shoes you might experience some pain as your feet and legs acclimate to them. After several days to a week that should pass. This happens every time I break in a new pair of shoes. I stop when the shin splints start and switch to a used pair to finish my miles for the day.

I'm breaking in new shoes, so I'm going to try that. Thank you both! ;)
  • mkspriggs
    mkspriggs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Shin splints occurs either when shoes are old like said above or you are breaking into a new style of cardio. I got these really bad when I went to boot camp. As for helping them ice them after you run and take alittle ibprofen or similar. they will heal when you continue with your workouts.good luck
  • serenityseeker78
    Options
    Shin splints occurs either when shoes are old like said above or you are breaking into a new style of cardio. I got these really bad when I went to boot camp. As for helping them ice them after you run and take alittle ibprofen or similar. they will heal when you continue with your workouts.good luck

I upped my cardio and started running and I have new shoes...so I will see if they get better...A friend of mine told me to ice them too, he said use a small paper cup freeze some water in it and ice down my shins...going to try that too...Thank you!
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    i had inserts made for my shoes that i were made from metal, and i went to the shop each month and they adjusted them for me