Does eating/drinking before workout slow the fat loss?

Options
I am prediabetic and just a carb-sensitive person in general. I am working at losing 80 lbs, and want to lose as much fat as possible. However, when I workout in the morning, I get so tired and depleted feeling, I wonder if it would be ok if I had 1/2 banana beforehand - would that be too sugary? I don't want to workout that hard just to burn up a banana. I want to burn fat! Should I Just keep pushing myself through the workouts in the morning in my "fasted" state?

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine by eating some before working out. For example, if you eat the half of banana, it's only like 50-60 caloires. So...but burning 300 calories, you'll still be ahead by 250ish calories. And....it's overall calories in versus calories out for the day. You'll be fine....eat if your hungry! It'll maybe make you want to work out longer too!

Good luck!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    No, eating'drinking before a workout does not effect fat loss at all (unless it's alcohol, but I assume that's not what you meant). Making sure your body has proper energy to get through your workout is essential.
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    you should always have breakfast , ... when excercising after about the first 20 mins or so yr body switches to burning fat for fuel .. so just keep going even if u feel like giving up !
  • ashbridge
    Options
    You need energy to get through a workout. Your body needs the fuel to keep you going, and to energize you. I personally eat before I workout, even if it's something small like a banana. They make sure you eat afterwords to refuel. Remember you didn't gain that 80 pounds by eating a banana every day.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Remember you didn't gain that 80 pounds by eating a banana every day.

Ha ha! very true, very true! :)

Thanks guys - I will make sure I have something before I workout, then. Back in the day, I used to have a small bottle of grapefruit juice (this was way back when I got up at 5;15am and didn't have time for much else) and it would be about 20 minutes into my workout where I get a second wind - I always wondered if it was that juice finally kicking in. Off to eat breakfast - I'll wait an hour or so, then work it.
  • Mark_99
    Options
    you possibly need to check the workout that you are doing too. Working at different levels of intensity has different effects on the body. If you want to burn fat you need your heart to be working at about 65% of its maximum capacity, if you go higher than this then it starts to become a cardio workout. they will both help you to lose weight and quite quickly as long as you watch your calorie intake but if fat burning is what you are after then a prolonged exercise at a lower intensity is what you need to do.

When you cycle, swim, row or run at a modest intensity of only 50% VO2max (about 69% MHR Max Heart Rate), fat provides about 50% of the calories you need to keep going for the first hour or so. If you keep going after that, fat becomes even more generous, providing around 70% of the total energy after two hours and 80% or more if your work duration exceeds three hours. If you increase the intensity then the Fat contribution decreases - at 75% VO2max fat provides 33% of the energy.

So by that try to keep your heart rate around 70% of its working max and try to work out for longer, they reckon that if you can hold a conversation while you are working out without getting absolutely puffed out then you are working to about the right intensity, having said that, the only way to be certain is to get a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor).

I hope this helps and with regards to the question about eating, it doesnt make any difference though never eat a big meal before exercising and try to make it something that is complex carb so that it releases the energy through your longer workout, eat it about half hour before if you can.

I hope this is useful,

regards and best wishes now go and smash them calories up and burn that fat baby lol ;-)
  • bailyboo
    Options
    I been doing a strenght trainning class for and hour 3 x's a week and have about 200 cal's before I go to give me the energy to get me through the class and after I have an 8 oz lowfat choc milk. and this works for me . Hope this helps . :)