P90X or Cardio Routine

Options
I discovered P90X and have been looking into it. It looks like a good routine that would keep me on a rigid workout schedule. The only hesitation that I have is that I do not care about gaining too much muscle or being ripped in the abs or such. My main concern is just losing the wait. I would like to lose about 25 pounds.

My other option is to stick to a diet schedule through this site and continue with a strict schedule of jogging. I like running as well. Its just my past jogging efforts have not given me the best weight loss. I need to incorporate a good diet and increase my mileage. I would like to run 5 days a week, around 15-20 miles per week. I could work out on my own and stay somewhat toned…

Does anyone have experience with these two options that could comment. Where would I have my biggest success? Any points of view of losing weight from either one. Any suggestions to follow with either routine.

Thanks!

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you would be better off with simply doing some push-ups and sit ups every other day along with your running. It doesn't look like you're really interested in the P90X program.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Try the P90X lean program to give you lean muscles. Then do the runs as well. Make sure you're eating at least 1800 calories a day no matter what the MFP website says to eat or you won't be eating enough. I'm doing the lean program and am just starting my 4th week and I've lost 6 inches all over. 2" off my hips :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You should consider ChaLEAN Extreme by Beachbody as well. I am doing it no, and she will not bulk you up. She will give you sexy muscles. She is an awesome trainer. Plus, that added muscle will help you burn fat all day long.

P90X is a wonderful program, but it is intense, and you have to really want that.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    oh yea, forgot to mention I lost 6-1/4 inches in 2 weeks on ChaLEAN Extreme. But I diet as well.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    sounds like Insanity may be more up your ally, more focused on cardio then strength training.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy running I'd stick with that! Get some hand weights and do some light toning maybe twice a week along with maybe pilates and you'd be fine. That's all I used to do and I got good results. Just watch your calorie intake and you should easily lose weight.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Do the P90X Lean routine...& watch what you eat as well. I'm currently doin' P90(Power90) and have lost 11 pounds so far and I just completed DAY 49 as of today. But, I'm also on a strict diet. I'm goin' to start P90X Lean in early March...Best wishes to your wieght lost journey and make it a lifestyle. xo
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Jeff,

Everyone I have known that has tried P90X has given up in less than 30 days. It's really tough, especially if you're not in shape. You should see if you can check it out at the Library, check on Craigslist or eBay for a used copy. Check with people at your gym to see if anyone has it and will let you borrow it. What I'm saying is, don't waste your money.

Step up the cardio, take some Pilates classes and tighten your core. P90X will work if you stick to it, but it's for getting ripped and once you get there you have to continue otherwise it'll all turn to fat.

Sounds like you're just getting started. Why not run for a couple of weeks, stick to the diet, and see what happens. You may find that the weight comes off pretty easily.

Don't buy into fads. You lose weight with a good diet and exercise. Eat lots of green leafy foods, whole grains, fruits and lean meats.

Good luck,

Mike
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    P90X isn't the best for weight loss. Not enough cardio. We did a round of it and it burns far less calories than our usual cardio workouts and we had to really adjust our diets to lose anything. We are planning to give it a go again when we reach our weight loss goals. It is quite intense.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Jeff,

Everyone I have known that has tried P90X has given up in less than 30 days.

Interesting.
  • KellyS715
    Options
    I have also completed both the P90X and Insanity programs. I would recommend Insanity for pure weight loss. Both are excellent for overall health. Men especially will lose fat if they add muscle. Muscle will burn more calories even when you are sleeping. If you haven't lost weight by just doing cardio, it may be time to add some strength training.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    it's for getting ripped and once you get there you have to continue otherwise it'll all turn to fat.

You know that's physically not possible right? Muscle is muscle, fat is fat. One cannot turn into the other. That's as ridiculous as saying he needs make sure you use your fingers every day, if not they will turn into toes....ok maybe not AS ridiculous..but close!

Anyway, to the OP, it doesn't sound like P90X is for you. It's very light on the cardio, and the cardio it does provide isn't that great in my opinion.
  • Jeff6605
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Great replies and quick! Wow. I will look at some non-P90X programs. Maybe the lean version.

I am not totally out of shape. I have good endurance and can lift wieght decently, its just I need to get the extra pounds off. I am 197 right now. I would like to get back to 170-172 which feels good on me. 165 if I am lucky down the road. Im 5'8'' 30 years old.

Thanks for the tips. I will keep running for now. And look into the mentioned alternatives.
  • fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    TRY the INSANITY workout, its got more cardio than P90X and itss made by the same makers (beachbody)
  • chicks2023
    Options
    I think I could do infomercials for P90X! I am on round 2 and have never been in better shape. It is impossible to say P90X doesn't work if you have only done 1 week or 2 weeks of it. You have to complete 30 days at a time and you will see the results. It's not all about cardio either, its about the muscle confusion. It works. If you follow the nutrition and you actually bring it during the workouts, you will not only lose the fat, you will build muscle mass which then helps your metabolism burn more calories when you are not working out.

P90X is not for everyone, but I am a firm believer that ANYONE can do it if they have the motivation. My 14 year old son is 45 days into his first round and my 17 year old son is beginning his second round of P90X. I originally lost 60 pounds in my first 90 days of P90X and have since gained 11 pounds in lean muscle mass. I have muscle now that I have never had and I am pushing 40 years old.

P90X changed my life. Tony Horton Rocks!

Chad
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Jeff,

Everyone I have known that has tried P90X has given up in less than 30 days. It's really tough, especially if you're not in shape. You should see if you can check it out at the Library, check on Craigslist or eBay for a used copy. Check with people at your gym to see if anyone has it and will let you borrow it. What I'm saying is, don't waste your money.

Step up the cardio, take some Pilates classes and tighten your core. P90X will work if you stick to it, but it's for getting ripped and once you get there you have to continue otherwise it'll all turn to fat.

Sounds like you're just getting started. Why not run for a couple of weeks, stick to the diet, and see what happens. You may find that the weight comes off pretty easily.

Don't buy into fads. You lose weight with a good diet and exercise. Eat lots of green leafy foods, whole grains, fruits and lean meats.

Good luck,

Mike
    Really there are dozens on MFP that have completed it and many have done multiple rounds. I have done the full program twice, and modified version another 2 times.
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I discovered P90X and have been looking into it. It looks like a good routine that would keep me on a rigid workout schedule. The only hesitation that I have is that I do not care about gaining too much muscle or being ripped in the abs or such. My main concern is just losing the wait. I would like to lose about 25 pounds.

My other option is to stick to a diet schedule through this site and continue with a strict schedule of jogging. I like running as well. Its just my past jogging efforts have not given me the best weight loss. I need to incorporate a good diet and increase my mileage. I would like to run 5 days a week, around 15-20 miles per week. I could work out on my own and stay somewhat toned…

Does anyone have experience with these two options that could comment. Where would I have my biggest success? Any points of view of losing weight from either one. Any suggestions to follow with either routine.

Thanks!

I recommend you get P90X. Gaining muscle is only going to help your weight loss as the more muscle mass you have, the higher your resting metabolism. The P90X nutrition plan is amazing too. First thing I EVER did that got me to my weight loss goals.