Just had to share!

Options
I was so excted yesterday, that I have to share my discovery. I went to Applebee's originally planning on one of their "Under 550" meals. But, it had been kind of a rough day, well, a rough week, and I REALLY wanted one of their Skinny Bee Margaritas (100 cals.) So, I started glancing through the Weight Watchers options. Found Spicy Pineapple Glazed Shrimp and Spinach - 2 grilled spicy pineapple-glazed shrimp skewers over a bed of rice served with a spinach salad with pico de gallo and chopped cucumbers. I looked it up (thank you smart phones) 310 calories! I could have lunch and my drink! Woo hoo! The sodium content is pretty insane, so I had to make up for that the rest of the day, but it was SOOOO worth it! I added the nutrition info to MFP, so now it's ready available to add the next time I decide to treat myself. DELICIOUS! I hope they never take it off the menu.

Replies

• hannahmayr30
    hannahmayr30 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's great, I love Applebee's!
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    We go to Applebees 2 to 3 times a week for that very reason. Their menu is awesome when your trying to loose weight...if you know what to watch for. I <3 Applebee's!!! :love:
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Great job! Way to work smarter and not harder! I too use the handy dandy smart phone to make better decisions, it's like my secret weapon! lol But the sodium content is killer there, love the food but really????? Is all that sodium necessary to make things taste good? WTG on your NSV :smile:
  • tnielsen2
    Options
    thats great!! Can add applebees to the list of places that is "safe" LOL
  • MaysMom
    MaysMom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Great job! Way to work smarter and not harder! I too use the handy dandy smart phone to make better decisions, it's like my secret weapon! lol But the sodium content is killer there, love the food but really????? Is all that sodium necessary to make things taste good? WTG on your NSV :smile:

Yeah the sodium was rediculous... I forget the exact amount, but over 1000 mg. I didn't think to mention the two glasses of water I drank while there, and the two within about 30 minutes of leaving there. lol But I made homemade chili last night (no added salt at all) in order to "balance it out." Rather than salt, I use a lot of curry powder and ground cumin, onions, garlic. Lots of flavor, no salt needed.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    That is soo awesome! I wished I had internet on my phone lol... well and my ipod only works at wi-fi areas... so it's a bummer I can't look that stuff up yet :( Thanks for the info, and that's awesome you had an awesome day/lunch! I never knew places made 100 calorie margarita's lol... I love margarita's, but making them at home they are soo much calories it's not even funny :(
  • MaysMom
    Options
    That is soo awesome! I wished I had internet on my phone lol... well and my ipod only works at wi-fi areas... so it's a bummer I can't look that stuff up yet :( Thanks for the info, and that's awesome you had an awesome day/lunch! I never knew places made 100 calorie margarita's lol... I love margarita's, but making them at home they are soo much calories it's not even funny :(

They have a Skinnybee Margarita, Mojito, and Long Island Iced Tea, each 100-110 cals. When it comes to "regular" drinks, the mojitos are my fav, but these Skinnybee Margaritas are fantastic!

Hope this helps, too... http://www.applebees.com/downloads/Applebees_Nutritional_Info.pdf
  • MaysMom
    Options
    thats great!! Can add applebees to the list of places that is "safe" LOL

Generally speaking, I would say yes. But the majority of the menu is "off limits" for me right now. And nearly everything is loaded with sodium, which of course = water weight. So be sure to drink a lot of water before, during and after. Flush out all of that extra sodium. Hope that helps! :-)

http://www.applebees.com/downloads/Applebees_Nutritional_Info.pdf
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

Yeah the sodium was rediculous... I forget the exact amount, but over 1000 mg. I didn't think to mention the two glasses of water I drank while there, and the two within about 30 minutes of leaving there. lol But I made homemade chili last night (no added salt at all) in order to "balance it out." Rather than salt, I use a lot of curry powder and ground cumin, onions, garlic. Lots of flavor, no salt needed.

You should post your chili recipe in the Recipe section sometime! Sounds very tasty!
  • MaysMom
    Options
    I think I'm headed for IHOP today. They have the Simple and Fit menu items. Looking at the nutrition info... no wonder I'm so fat! I love pancakes, country steak and gravy, biscuits and gravy, fried ham. (yes, I'm obviously from the south. lol) I would have normally gotten the combo plates with a little of everything. Not so much because I was ever that hungry, but because I am indecisive and wanted a taste of everything. How sad is that? So lunch today is probably going to be a Simple and Fit Simply Grilled Chicken sandwich with fresh fruit. 470 cals, and 9g of fat. But 980 gm of sodium! Ugh, maybe I'll just make a spinach salad at home. I just wasn't in the mood to cook.

http://www.ihop.com/docs/nutritionalinformation.pdf
  • MaysMom
    Options

You should post your chili recipe in the Recipe section sometime! Sounds very tasty!

Really simple... I am notorious for throwing things together. I just took some things I had and tossed them in together. So, this is what I used last night, but if I had more garlic, I probably would have used it. I love it! This made enough for 8 people. I divided the leftovers into individual servings and froze them for another day.

2 lbs ground 91% lean turkey
    1 64oz. bottle low sodium V8 juice
    2 15 oz. cans Luck's fat free pinto beans
    1 16 oz. can Bush's best light red kidney beans
    I large yellow onion, coarsley chopped- I like chunks of onion in mine.
    5 cloves garlic, chopped
    Red curry powder and ground cumin to taste... I didn't measure just threw it in. Probably used at least 2 tbsp each

Browned the crumbled turkey and garlic together without any added oil. Do this slowly over medium heat so the turkey doesn't stick since you haven't added any extra fat, and stir almost constantly. When the turkey was almost done, I added the onion, cumin and curry powder. When the turkey was no longer pink, I added the V8 juice and beans. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes.. or less if your 11 year old daughter starts to complain about how hungry she is. :-) I'll put this in the recipe tool (thank you MFP once again!) and let you know about cals per serving.
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Sweet!! You just reminded me that I need to look up Chilli's. I'm going out to lunch with an old friend tomorrow, I need to plan ahead :)
  • MaysMom
    Options
    Ok, the whole pot of chili has 2,443 cals, 291 g carbs, 28g fat, and 289 g protein.

Divide all of that by 8 (about 2 cup) servings = 305 cals, 36 g carbs, 4 g fat, and 36 g protein

Did I mention 1000 g of yummy?