Concerned Newbie

Options
Devol
Devol Posts: 40 Member
Hiya

i am very new to the site and have just posted about understanding the net calorie goal and the instant replies have been great.

After looking at some of the other posts i am seeing a lot of people especially pretty girls stating " add me"

I am always very wary of posts like this, i am trying not to be negative as i think this site is great, but i am wondering why total strangers are posting this. is there a hidden agenda?

or are they just geniune nice people.

anyway as i said i think this site is excellent and i love the app

Replies

• IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    All are nice people who are probably looking for more like minded friends to motivate them. NO one has a hidden agenda that I know of. They just want to encourage and be encouraged...at least that is my experience. But I don't add people unless they ask.

If it makes you uncomfortable, just ignore the requests.

Good Luck!
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

This place is incredibly supportive and full of people who want to cheer you on. By and large the people asking you to add them, or "friend" them have the desire to be part of your support group. It took awhile for me to feel comfortable adding people, but there's really no pressure. Just add people as you feel comfortable.

At the very least, this site gives you fabulous tools for logging your food and exercise. It can also provide information and support, but its all up to you, no one will think more or less of you for moving forward in the manner that you have the greatest comfort with.

best of luck and happy eating!!!!!
    JoJo
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    For myself I am having trouble with support from home and the support of my MFP friends has been huge. When someone gives you feedback or helps answer your questions or just says good job it helps me stay on track. I only know one person on my friends list IRL but the others have been very supportive and helpful.
  • unckat09
    Options
    I think with any social networking site, there are people who MIGHT have a hidden agenda. HOWEVER, most, actually all, of the people I have encountered on MFP are genuinely nice people. The atmosphere (and almost culture) of this site is super motivational. To be honest, when I first joined in January I was a bit taken aback, as well. You rarely find a community where people just want to help one another grow and be healthy. I like having friends motivate and push me throughout the day and week. They view my food diary and my exercise progress, so they can offer critiques and advice.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your journey!

P.S. I don't think your post was negative at all! That's a really good question. :glasses:
  • 2BFitnFab
    2BFitnFab Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well for me I add people as well as post "add me" because I am of the mindset of the more support I have in this Journey, the better. I need encouragement and motivation as well as a swift kick in the behind at times and who better to get it from, other than people who are on the weight loss journey as well. I like to read about the successes of others as it motivates me. I also think having a group of people using the same tools MFP , also holds us accountable in some ways as we do not want to disappoint our fitness buddy's or ourselves. I think you should just take the "add Me" at face value, just an offer or request from someone who is trying to get healthier and would like your support or to help support you as you try to do the same thing. Nothing more, Nothing less. Oh and Add me! ;)
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for 26 months and it is a very friendly ans supportive group. I have made a lot of great like minded friends here. Welcome and home you love it as much as the rest of us do.

have a great day.
  • DieSuperMario
    Options
    Although I'm not a girl I am always looking for more friends who are trying to lose a few like me :)

Add me
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    I'm never sure why people are so wary about adding people: you have the option to use an annoymous username, have a generic profile picture and don't have to show where you are geographically situated. There are options to *protect* yourself.

Then there's also the option to decline people, delete people or add no-one at all.

Unless someone starts asking for your bank details and national insurance number, really, what are the risks? People can only have as much information as you choose to give them.

Welcome, please feel free to add me :tongue: :wink: