Rest days...

Options
Since I began focussing on getting in shape, I have been exercising every day, mostly walking or jogging, some mountaineering and weekly games of squash (racketball) Does anyone take rest days? I hit a wall today and just COULD NOT run. My calf and thigh muscles were painful after a few hundred metres, and I walked my morning circuit (8k) instead. later at the gym I did 300 cal on the treadmill before my upper body weights routine (just 4-5 machines 3-sets of 10 reps) just wondering if a mid week day off is a good idea. Till now I have been okay, and lost 18lbs...

Replies

• Splendidissimus
    Options
    I don't work out, but I have a friend who does, and just yesterday he was mentioning the same problem. He's been working out just fine for several weeks, then he just got too sore and tired to do it one day. I can't speak from any professional experience, but from an outside viewpoint it seems like a day off a week would be good for a person.
  • DST513
    DST513 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    yeah they say you need a rest day, especially if you are doing weights. That is so important. You may need a day as you body is showing you signs that it needs rest. One day wont put back on the weight.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    its my understand you rest days!
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    i would deffo have a rest day to help your body recover

x
  • MereRae
    Options
    My rest/free days is always on Sunday. Not sure of your religious preferences but even the Bible says to rest. No matter what day it is your body needs to re-coup and recover. It is also a way to keep from getting burnt out.
    Good luck and hope you get to feeling better soon!
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I was working out almost every day for 5 weeks then had a workout where it was so much effort to do my normal routine, took twice as long and burned half the calories.
    I've just had a whole week off and got back today
    Did 105 minutes, burned 700 calories and feel better for the rest.
    I think I was overdoing it.
    Listen to your body.
    Good luck.
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hi

Sounds like a good idea to listen to your body. You have done great so far and you are doing a lot!

Ensure you are eating enough to keep that activity level good for your body.

See it as a positive resetting the body day rather than a day off.

Good luck.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm probably have different view point to most people on MFP...but you really shouldn't work out every day...you need to repair your muscules...I run 4 times a week (outdoors) and Zumba one day per week...I do nothing on Thursdays and Sundays. Take it easy.