I'm lost????help

Options
ok so I went to the gym and did 60 min on the elliptical and burned 603 calories -- but the whole time it kept telling me to slow down to reach the right heart rate????? I don't feel like I did anything - I could have held up a higher heart rate for the whole time too but I need to burn fat right -- does doing the cardio training with the higher heart rate not burn as much fat - or does it not burn as high of a percentage of fat -- and for me -- needing to lose 64 more pounds -- which is better???? I am lost

Replies

• jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    ok so I went to the gym and did 60 min on the elliptical and burned 603 calories -- but the whole time it kept telling me to slow down to reach the right heart rate????? I don't feel like I did anything - I could have held up a higher heart rate for the whole time too but I need to burn fat right -- does doing the cardio training with the higher heart rate not burn as much fat - or does it not burn as high of a percentage of fat -- and for me -- needing to lose 64 more pounds -- which is better???? I am lost
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me target heart rate for cardio and fat burning is 170.......
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    there are different levels of heart rate - one for burning fat and one for cardio training. To burn fat, you only need to be at a moderate exertion for a longer duration. For cardio, higher exertion, lower duration. Your body only begins to burn stored fat after 20 minutes at your fat burning target heartrate.

Hope that helps.
    Lynn
  • jenn10
    Options
    there are different levels of heart rate - one for burning fat and one for cardio training. To burn fat, you only need to be at a moderate exertion for a longer duration. For cardio, higher exertion, lower duration. Your body only begins to burn stored fat after 20 minutes at your fat burning target heartrate.

Hope that helps.
    Lynn
    so if I do cardio longer than 20min I am still burning fat??? my cardio heart rate is 170 but the fat burn was 122 and to go that slow on the machine -- well it kept pausing on me!:explode:
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    122??? That seems extremely low. Your fat burning heartrate is usually the 20 point range below the cardio range. More like 145 or so. You may want to research that.

and yes - even at a higher heartrate, you will start burning STORED fat after 20 minutes in target heartrate.
  • jenn10
    Options
    122??? That seems extremely low. Your fat burning heartrate is usually the 20 point range below the cardio range. More like 145 or so. You may want to research that.

and yes - even at a higher heartrate, you will start burning STORED fat after 20 minutes in target heartrate.
    SWEET thank you -- I don't think the machines are always programed right but it's good to know I can do my faster more comfortable speed and still get rid of some of the jiggles!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your resistance. You can go slower but feel the burn more.
    I usually kick my resistance up to about a 7 or 8, although I recently tried the highest resistance (20) the other day and almost couldn't make the machine move!!!

Did you hold the handles? It tells you to hold the handles (at the silver part, with your thumbs and other fingers gripping as smoothly as possible) to measure your heart rate. ( I wasn't sure if you realized that or not... but if you knew your heart rate you must have... :huh: )
  • Sunibc22
    Options
    122 doesn't sound too low at all for working in the fat burning zone. Of course it all depends on your age though. for me my fat burning zone is between 120 and 134 acording to my HRM and to the chart at the gym. I do cardio for an hour or so trying to keep my HR in that zone for at least 50 minutes. It's working well for me.
  • NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    So it's good if we stay in our fat burning zone...But what if we go over? What's happening then? What are we burning??
  • jenn10
    Options
    hi mk - I just read an article on anouther website that basically said that in the first 20 min of any exercise you are burning carbs and very little fat -- the longer you go the more percentage of fat verses calories that you will burn and the harder you exercise the better but do not go over your max heartrate! I don't know about the rest of you guys but when I get close to max I about fall on my face so you will know when you get to that point!:tongue: -- the article I read was on active.com and they have some usefull calculators too -- like heart rate and bmi, body fat percent , and a few others!