Net Calorie Goal

Options
I dont understand the net calorie goal.

MFP states 1200

I have searched various websites that say i should be consuming 2200 - 2700 / day depending on what site i use.

To lose 2Lbs / week i need to reduce 500 calories/day correct.

Therefore i estimate that my net calorie goal should be between 1700 - 2200/ day

So how is MFP calculating 1200/ day

so confused, any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• heathersouthern09
    Options
    I was just about to post this same thing lol ! hope someone knows im confused! :)
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    To lose 2 lbs/week, you need to reduce 1000/day, not 500.

1lb loss/week = 3500kcal weekly deficit = 500kcal daily deficit

So 2lbs/week would be double that.
  • MernaDea
    Options
    You two are NOT alone here! This is only my second week of this website and I LOVE it (add me if you wish) This is one of the most common questions most people ask. After combing and consuming the message boards to understand it too, I found this thread.

I have always exercised, but never 'ate' back my exercise calories or most of them, so this was hard. However, it does increase weight loss.

Read this and hopefully it clears it up for you too. You are NOT alone! ;)

Read this thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions?page=1

Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I dont understand the net calorie goal.

MFP states 1200

I have searched various websites that say i should be consuming 2200 - 2700 / day depending on what site i use.

To lose 2Lbs / week i need to reduce 500 calories/day correct.

Therefore i estimate that my net calorie goal should be between 1700 - 2200/ day

So how is MFP calculating 1200/ day

so confused, any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance :-)

No, to lose ONE lb/wk, you'll need to cut back by 500 cal/day. (500 x 7 = 3500 cal, which makes a lb). If you want to lose TWO lbs/wk, you'll need to cut back by 1000 cal/day, which if your starting point is 2200, your daily cal. goal would be 1200.

That is really a pretty drastic cut in cal/day. Personally, I wouldn't do that, b/c you may get so hungry/discouraged that you'll drop out. and quit. Better to eat more cal, feel better on a daily basis, and have the weight come off a bit more slowly. Keep in mind, that you COULD exercise, to increase your cal/day. So, if you only reduce your cal by 500 daily, and exercise another 500 away, that will give you that 1000/day deficit (if you don't eat back your cal). Just another way to do it, which would be easier and healthier, than trying to eat 1000 cal less/day.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    From what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong) but the 1200 calories that MFP uses is how much you need to consume to avoid going into starvation mode. There's a few different schools of thought on this particular issue but in my mind, if you're still seeing a loss then why reinvent the wheel. If you hit a plateau, you might want to up your net calories as you might be needing more fuel. As for the calorie deficit, so long as your goal is set to lose the 2 lb a week, my understanding is that MFP takes that into account when calculating your daily calorie goal. The whole point of the site is to not only track our foods and exercise but to take the estimating out of our net calorie goals.

Just my two cents.
  • Devol
    Devol Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up.

I train 5/6 days week which i know increases the net calorie goal, however i was frightened about the 1200 on my rest day.

any ideas on how to make 1200 fill a day?

my breakfast is normally 2 wheetabix, banana and skimmed milk so theres 300 calories gone right away.

thanks again

ps love this website and app
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you're training 5-6 days/week, my suggestion is not to set your goals to 2lbs/week. One lb/week is suggested by MFP for a reason -- taking weight off more slowly leads to sustained long-term weight loss. Your body needs fuel for all those workouts!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I would not go for 1200 calories right off the bat. Start higher and then you can drop if the higher level isn't working. But if you start at the very minimum safe calorie consumption, where do you go if you plateau? If I were you, I'd try 1600-1800 calories a day and eat back any calories you burn during specific fitness exercises. If, after 3 weeks, nothing is happening, you could drop by 200 calories, until you find the sweet spot that works for you.
  • Devol
    Options
    all very good points and i agree 2lbs is a bit much, therefore i think i will reduce it to 1lb a week.

thanks again for the swift replies.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Another way to make calories go farther is to up your proteins and lower your carbs. Have a look at my diary if you want to. I had a 1 whole, 2 egg white omelet with yellow bell pepper and turkey bacon this morning and I'm stuffed after only about 150 cal. Add a couple of glasses of water as well and that should do for quite a while. The body takes more time to process proteins as opposed to carbs which are converted to glucose and stored as fat relatively easily.
  • Devol
    Options
    Thanks Dan

That sounds real good, how do i view your diary?
  • Devol
    Options
    Just changed my goal to 1lb per week and my cal have went from 1200 to 2000, what a difference

however feeling a little guilty now
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Another way to make calories go farther is to up your proteins and lower your carbs. Have a look at my diary if you want to. I had a 1 whole, 2 egg white omelet with yellow bell pepper and turkey bacon this morning and I'm stuffed after only about 150 cal. Add a couple of glasses of water as well and that should do for quite a while. The body takes more time to process proteins as opposed to carbs which are converted to glucose and stored as fat relatively easily.

Dan, I noticed your cals/day are lower than mine. I'm trying to lose 15 pounds so I'm doing 1/lb a week. I'm also training for a half marathon and originally I set my cals to low and was experiencing dizziness. Do you mind me asking how many per week you are trying to lose?

Thanks!

mary