Need Motivation or Something??

Options
Such a frustrating morning. My husband, being the supportive man that he is, hid the scale from me for a week so that I would quit stressing about my weight and focus on the workouts and eating right. Well today was the day and I could barely sleep last night thinking about it. He left the scale out so that I could weigh myself this morning. Now keep in mind that I have worked my rear end off this past week with workouts including P90X, three zumba classes and twice I woke up early and got on an elliptical for thirty minutes. I have eaten under my calories while trying to eat my exercise calories. I had one really bad day and didn't log anything but I did workout. I started my TOM yesterday. I have drank my water in excess. That all being said I gained. I gained one and half pounds. I am so down in the dumps right now trying to wrap my head around it. Trying so hard not to say that I am done with this and throw in the towel. I have sacrificed time with my kids to workout. I don't have things done at school because I leave to make sure I get my workout in. I stay on MFP all day trying to find suggestions to make this easier. I feel like my life is starting to revolve around losing weight when I have so much other stuff to be living for. Three wonderful kids, the best husband ever and a great job. Why am I so wrapped up in that number on the scale????

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    You are suppose to weigh after you relieve yourself and nothing else. Don't workout first, eat first or anything except go to the bathroom. And you may be gaining muscle now but the weigh will come too. Don't give up!!!!!!!!!! you are doing great. It will come maybe not as fast as you want it to but it will come.
  • melodious2878
    Options
    I believe no matter what the scale says as long as you see results you are doing the right thing. As long as it makes you feel better about yourself. Dont sacrifice too much time you should be with your kids and husband. Kids grow up wayyyy too fast!
  • ejsmith7
    ejsmith7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Check this thread out. It is from a blog post by Chalene Johnson

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/128737-temporary-weight-gain-explained?hl=new+exercise+gaining#posts-1747282

Keep up the great work, you will get there!!
  • jlorton82
    Options
    Being healthy isnt supposed to hinder your life and relationships with your family. I had a very hard time getting it all figured out at first and many times I have felt the same way that you do. It sounds to me like you are letting yourself become obsessed and stressed which is only going to cause things to be harder for you. Take a breather. Try to set up a schedule for yourself where you can fit in a work out during the day when you dont have a lot going on. I have 6 kids and a husband and school so being such a busy person, I invested in a treadclimber, workout videos and an exercise ball. In the long run its much cheaper than going to a gym year round and it keeps me home with my family. I can work out while they are all here with me and the sometimes join in. The little kids love the videos. Also, dont stress so much, buy foods that you are know are healthy and dont buy junk, it will help for you to stick to your goal if you dont have bad foods laying around the house. My entire family has made the conversion to healthier foods and even though some people think it is more expensive or too hard to get the kids to eat healthy, thats just not true. I am saving money and even my most difficult picky eaters are eating healthy. Hang in there, calm down and remember that this a lifestyle change, its not supposed to be just you starving and working yourself to death. Its about literally changing your life, create routines, shop healthier and watch your portions. You will see a HUGE difference if you do these things. Good Luck on your journey!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I gain 4-8lbs during TOM. Do NOT WEIGH IN during TOM.

Charmagne
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I have said many times to myself - the scale is a double edged sword. When it says something you like it can make you feel awesome - when it doesnt - it can make you want to give up and dive into a dozen donuts! When in all reality what the scale says is NOT the best way to gauge your success at FAT loss. The scale only reads weight loss/gain and there's no way to know what type of weight it is weighing. It is very possible that you have gained some muscle mass from all of the workouts. And being the TOM even with your extra water intake, your body may still retain water.
    I have let the scale get me down SO many times- I almost wish it didn't exist! Don't let it get you down. You have done awesome with your calories and exercise routine. There's no way you're not doing great things for your body. Concentrate on NSVs (non scale victories). Pants fitting looser? Are you able to run up a flight of stairs more easily? Etc. And maybe just weigh every two weeks or even once a month so you will be able to see more results each time.
    I am saying all of this to you- and to myself at the same time. B/C I need to hear it too!
  • Becs25
    Becs25 Posts: 79
    Options
    I am not giving up. Thank you for your support. One day at a time for me.