question for ladies that weight train, guys to if you like.

Options
I have been on a weight train program this is my 8th week of 12 weeks. My question is I am gaining weight I started at 155 on the first week and now I am 159 and I had to go up in my bra size just my ribcage number from a 34 to a 36. My pants still fit but are a little tighter. What am I doing wrong I want to lose the fat and gain muscle but it seems like I may be gaining muscle but not loading any fat. My program is 3x a week with weights and cardio. And my cals a day are at 1540 I am 5'4" and am female. Any suggestions.

Replies

• AmyJopp
    AmyJopp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would lower your calorie intake and more cardio! You will see results if your lifting......it takes time to build muscle and once your there, you will burn more calories with the muscle you have built. Make sure your eating lots of protein!
  • laurabeth02
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? I weight lift 4 days a week and I finally started losing weight once I stopped eating my exercise calories. My calories are set at 1200 per day and if I fill up on lean meats and veggies I hardly ever go hungry. Good luck to you! I loooove lifting. :)
  • julieban1
    julieban1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Cut down on calories, maybe 100 - 200 less a day & do more cardio. You seem to have it right about gaining muscle & not losing fat. Muscle weighs more than fat. That's why you're gaining weight. You need the cardio to lose the fat, so increase that a bit & drop some calories & you should get where you want to go. Great luck to you! We are the same height & right about the same weight, but I only get 1200 calories. Are you including your workout calories in that 1540?
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have found that firming up the muscles will make for a bit of an increase in size for a short time. Since the muscles are firmer under the fat it seems to make the fat on top stand out a bit more instead of blending like it used to.
    Just my opinion.
  • poarche
    poarche Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from!!! I always gain weight first then I lose weight! for some reason my body loves to hold muscle (weight), but i keep reminding myself that muscle burns more calories at a resting heart rate than fat does!
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Up our cardio - sounds like you are building muscle but not getting rid of the fat lay on top of it. may try changing you fat % to 20% of your intake so your body uses the stored fat quicker.
  • tmaksparkie
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will try to lower the cals and up the cardio. Yes I do eat my exercise cals but not all of them, when I am at the gym I burn anywhere from 450-650 a session depends on the day. Cardio I think is the hardest because of my knees, I was 262lbs and I am now 159 so I have some damage to my knees it is just in the early stages I don't have much cartilage left from being so heavy for so long. So I will have to see what cardio works. Thanks everyone anyone have any healthy meals that they love and have all the time? Maybe that can be pre made then heated.
  • cschick2317
    Options
    Thanks everyone anyone have any healthy meals that they love and have all the time? Maybe that can be pre made then heated.

Here are a few of my favorite recipes that I've made so far (been trying to eat based off the body for life food suggestions for the past month and a half...basically lean meats/whole grains). I have some suggestions for each based on the reviews I read for the recipes and the modifications I've tried.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Healthy-Turkey-Loaf/Detail.aspx - I actually quadruple the ingredients for this one because I'm cooking for two and it leaves enough for sandwiches for a few days:). You could also probably replace the bread crumbs with oatmeal (which i'm going to try next) if you wanted it to be even healtheir.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lime-Chicken-Soft-Tacos/Detail.aspx - Get some whole grain tortillas/lettuce/tomato and these are a good alternative to beef for tacos.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Turkey-Bow-Tie-Skillet/Detail.aspx - For this one you definitely want to up the chili powder amount (if you like chili powder at least). I use 1 tblsp of chili powder and the reviewers recommend more like 20 oz of broth instead of 14...which I use, but usually end up dumping out some excess liquid at the end.

If you try these I hope you like them!