Help! PCOS and eating healthy with exercise with no weight

Options
Hello! My name is Destiny. I am a stay a home mom and before now I didn't exercise other then doing activities with my children. Two years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome). For 5 weeks now I have been walking/running 3 miles a day. I changed my diet for example no more whole milk, wheat pasta and wheat bread instead of white, no soad, no fried foods, I now buy all fresh foods instead of processed. In the 5 weeks that I have been doing this I have not lost nor gained 1 pound. I have stayed at the exact same weight. I don't even feel better/heathier. I am really starting to get discouraged. I am trying to run my first 10K in April for charity and I just don't know if I can make it. I know with PCOS it's harder to loose weight and you gain weight easily. I just wanted to see if there was anyone out there with the same problem that might have a success story and suggestions as to what I can do differently or if Im doing something wrong. Thanks Destiny

Replies

• Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have a friend with PCOS and she has had a similar struggle to yours. She's been doing P90X for about 4 weeks and while her weight hasn't really dropped, she has noticed increased strength and her body getting smaller in certain areas. I would suggest focusing more on your measurements than the scale, and you will likely start to feel yourself get stronger and more fit, regardless of the scale, as you train more.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I have lost inches and do feel better since I started my workout program 2 months ago, but the number on the scale has not really budged. I have changed my percentages to 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fats, but trying to not use all my carbs.

I am interested in other responses.
  • ValorieGoode
    Options
    I do not have the same health issue, however, I have been on a weight loss plan for about a month and a half, have gone to the gym consistently with cardio and weight training. I am very serious about the cardio. I love that. I eat about 1200 to 1500 calories a day with about 45 to 50 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of light weights and I have not really lost any weight either. I have, however lost some inches. Everyone is telling me that muscle weighs more than fat and it seems to me you must be gaining muscle. Don't give up. I am not giving up. I do not weigh myself every week. I lost 30 pounds a year and a half ago and did it without weighing myself. The exercise will cause the weight to come off, just not as fast as we would like it to. Stick with it. Don't give up.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS but I have never had a problem with taking off wieght when I stuck to eating better.
    I would recomend maybe chatting with a Dr or looking it up online. There might be some more help out there.
    I also recomend adding a lot of cinnamon to your diet. It helps to regulate how fast carbs turn to sugar in the blood and supposedly helps with weight loss. Might help with PCOS because there is a connection between hormones and blood sugar that I read years ago but can't remember now.
    I add cinnamon powder to my oatmeal for breakfast and most of my drinks of water.

Keep going strong it will work out eventually.

Best wishes
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Destiny - I believe there may be a group of PCOSers on here, search for it.

I was diagnosed with PCOS 13 years ago. Then I was probably 15 pounds overweight and my cholesterol was high. I made some diet changes (less fast food to be honest) and was put on Metformin because we were trying to start a family. My cholesterol came down and though it was hard, we have been blessed with two beautiful boys. I am now 43 and being tenacious about taking this weight off.

Yes, it is hard and slow. I have found more success, and I feel better, with more protein in my diet. I am not carb-free, but I am careful about having bread more than in one meal a day. I substitute white corn tortillas a lot. I would also watch sodium pretty closely. It sounds like you are on the right track, just be patient because it is slow. Best wishes!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i don't want to discourage you, but the first year i was diagnosed with pcos, i lost nothing. zero pounds. i was so discouraged and frustrated!!! i was eating 1300-1400 and running 3 miles three times a week. i was like 'what more can i do?' finally, i dropped my first pound. the next month i dropped my second pound. the third month i lost another pound. three pounds in three months! what was the point?!?

i kept at it and the next month lost 2 pounds. whoo-hoo! five pounds in four months. :p watching others lose a pound a week or two pounds a week was difficult, but i kept going. the grand total for the year was 27 pounds. it essentially took me TWO years to lose that 27 pounds because that is when i first changed my diet and lifestyle.

i learned that so long as i stay UNDER 100 grams of carbs, i can go over my calories and still lose weight, but if i stay under my calories but go over in carbs, i will GAIN weight. i learned that i can NOT drink any of the zero- and ten- calorie chemical drinks (propel water, soze, lifewater, diet soda, etc.). ever. they halt my weight loss completely. i learned i had to limit my fruit consumption to one serving a day (two servings on a rare day) and up my vegetables to five (count 'em, five) servings a day. i learned that eating a lot of protein is key for me to feel energetic. i learned that i had to zigzag my calories and my exercise to continually 'trick' my body into working hard each day, including a huge calorie spike one day and two rest days.

i learned that patience is key, but that i am really proud of myself. you can do it!
    dawn
  • th1nkth1nmama
    Options
    i don't want to discourage you, but the first year i was diagnosed with pcos, i lost nothing. zero pounds. i was so discouraged and frustrated!!! i was eating 1300-1400 and running 3 miles three times a week. i was like 'what more can i do?' finally, i dropped my first pound. the next month i dropped my second pound. the third month i lost another pound. three pounds in three months! what was the point?!?

i kept at it and the next month lost 2 pounds. whoo-hoo! five pounds in four months. :p watching others lose a pound a week or two pounds a week was difficult, but i kept going. the grand total for the year was 27 pounds. it essentially took me TWO years to lose that 27 pounds because that is when i first changed my diet and lifestyle.

i learned that so long as i stay UNDER 100 grams of carbs, i can go over my calories and still lose weight, but if i stay under my calories but go over in carbs, i will GAIN weight. i learned that i can NOT drink any of the zero- and ten- calorie chemical drinks (propel water, soze, lifewater, diet soda, etc.). ever. they halt my weight loss completely. i learned i had to limit my fruit consumption to one serving a day (two servings on a rare day) and up my vegetables to five (count 'em, five) servings a day. i learned that eating a lot of protein is key for me to feel energetic. i learned that i had to zigzag my calories and my exercise to continually 'trick' my body into working hard each day, including a huge calorie spike one day and two rest days.

i learned that patience is key, but that i am really proud of myself. you can do it!
    dawn

agree!!!

I was diagnosed 4 yrs ago and lost weight just to gain it back over and over again. I have seen the same thing happen, If I stay under my carbs I lose weight. Calories don't see to matter as much. I've lost 12 lbs since Jan 1st.
  • dlujan82
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses. It's so nice to hear from others with PCOS. I should have mentioned that I have been doing measurements and really nothing. Less then 1/2 an inch. Im really trying not to get frustrated and really trying to stay focused on my goal but it is hard.