zumba

Options
hey every1. does any1 know how many calories an hours worth of zumba burns? i couldnt find it on the list xx

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    im going to do a zumba class tomorrow and i was reading on a website somewhere *dont know where though* that its anywhere from 500 to 700 cal's...i dont know how accurate that is though
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I always just put in zumba and it has came up
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Everyone will be different because of age height weight and fitness level, YOu will not know for sure unless you wear a HR monitor. If your mving alot and working hard I woulds estimate lower 400calories or so.
  • chefchazz
    Options
    i looke yesterday b/c i did my zumba class. if you find out let me know. i just logged it as high impact
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Zumba workouts can vary in intensity, and calorie burn depends on an individual's weight, fitness level and muscle composition. During an hour long session you can burn anywhere from 500 to 800 calories. On average, a 150-lb. person can expect to burn 536 calories during an hour of Zumba.
  • greatescape
    greatescape Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have roughly estimated with just using general "aerobics," but I just got a HRM and I'm going to a class on Sat. Hopefully I'll have a better estimate for you :-)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    Zumba workouts can vary in intensity, and calorie burn depends on an individual's weight, fitness level and muscle composition. During an hour long session you can burn anywhere from 500 to 800 calories. On average, a 150-lb. person can expect to burn 536 calories during an hour of Zumba.
    thanks for that...mine will probably actually be way lower than that since im going to be doing alot of looking around and trying to figure out what the heck's goin on.
  • StPattysGrl
    Options
    I'm 140 and 5'7". I wear a HRM in Zumba and my calorie burn ranges from 400 to 550 depending on the routines that are done and the intensity that I work at.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    [/quote] thanks for that...mine will probably actually be way lower than that since im going to be doing alot of looking around and trying to figure out what the heck's goin on.
    [/quote]

That's how mine started off I felt like I had 3 left feet couldn't get the moves or keep up for nothing! I bought the Zumba for the WII and it's been on and popping since then! LOL
  • deeremom9
    Options
    I register zumba under "dance-aerobic" for the really intense dvds. I'm still hoping to find zumba on the exercise list options someday. But till then that's what I do.. Hope that helps. From what I can tell myfitnesspal takes into account your weight at least, when it calculates the calories you burn. Good luck! :smile:
  • ashleyjea1985
    Options
    unfortunetly many ppl think you burrn a lot more in zumba than you actually do. and the website claims you can burn up to like 1000 an hour. ridiculous.

most list zumba on MFT as an aerobic exercise which is like 500 calories = it simply is not.. its more of a dancing. ( which under mfp is only like 250 an hour)

i tested this out and got a heart rate monitor and did zumba for one hour. the calorie count was : 300 per hour.

hope this helps!
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba about 3x a week for the last month. Because I couldn't find it in the database, I got a Heart Rate Monitor. I was amazed to learn I was burning 700-over 1000 calories per hour! I would check my heart rate after each song, and it would be up around 160-170, depending on the intensity of the song. It all depends on how hard you work it, and how high you get your heart rate.
    The lower-calorie burn (around 700s) is when I am at a Zumba Toning class. We use hand weights in the routines, and they are much more controlled motions, less hopping around. A basic Zumba class, I can burn 800-1020 calories depending on what songs/routines are done that class.
    Keep in mind, I'm out of shape, a big girl and my heart rate is probably a bit higher than most because of this. Once I get more in shape, I'm sure my heart will get stronger and I will start to see a decrease in calories burned. I know this, and I won't let the drop in numbers discourage me!
    I <3 Zumba!
  • ashleyjea1985
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba about 3x a week for the last month. Because I couldn't find it in the database, I got a Heart Rate Monitor. I was amazed to learn I was burning 700-over 1000 calories per hour! I would check my heart rate after each song, and it would be up around 160-170, depending on the intensity of the song. It all depends on how hard you work it, and how high you get your heart rate.
    The lower-calorie burn (around 700s) is when I am at a Zumba Toning class. We use hand weights in the routines, and they are much more controlled motions, less hopping around. A basic Zumba class, I can burn 800-1020 calories depending on what songs/routines are done that class.
    Keep in mind, I'm out of shape, a big girl and my heart rate is probably a bit higher than most because of this. Once I get more in shape, I'm sure my heart will get stronger and I will start to see a decrease in calories burned. I know this, and I won't let the drop in numbers discourage me!
    I <3 Zumba!

this seems like a high number.. are you wearing a chest belt hrm ( ACCURATE) or just a wrist one
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I <3 Zumba!

this seems like a high number.. are you wearing a chest belt hrm ( ACCURATE) or just a wrist one
    "Just the wrist one" however, the ECG-accurate type. The wrist watch types ARE accurate, just not as accurate (or as practical for some sports) as the chest strap that takes a constant reading. I'm too big for the chest strap type (at least what they carried in the store near me). The wrist watch only ones are not as accurate for runners or cyclists because it is highly inconvienent to have to stop and take a pulse reading as often as needed with a wrist watch type. What runner is going to want to pause every 3 or 4 minutes for a pulse reading? That, I understand. For my purposes, it works very well. I am able to pause for about 10 seconds every 3 minutes to take a reading. The more readings you take, the more accurate the measurement.

The purpose of my original reply to this post was to show that Zumba can burn a wide range of calories depending on a lot of variables. I'm big and out of shape and will burn a lot more calories than someone who is in shape and smaller (like yourself). Also, for someone just starting out in Zumba - they will burn a lot less calories to start until they are familiar with the routines. Once you are familiar with what moves are coming, you can focus on how to work that muscle group (isometric squeezes, using your core muscles properly, posture, etc. - it's not "just dancing" if you do it right and as intended.) You cannot get a very good assessment of the benefits of Zumba from taking one class (or playing a DVD just once).
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There is a listing for "dancing aerobic ballet modern twist". I just use that. It tends to underestimate a little bit (I use to wear a bodybugg that I've used for comparison" but I think that's ok.

How much you burn in an hour is going to depend entirely on how vigorously you are dancing. Two people of the same weight and height could take the same class and burn different calories if one is going ful-out and the other is coasting.
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM with a chest strap and i have been averaging about 800 calories for the hour. The highest I've seen has been 900 the lowest around 740. before the HRM I logged it as high impact aerobics and that was pretty close but a little under what the HRM was giving me.
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    There is a listing for "dancing aerobic ballet modern twist". I just use that. It tends to underestimate a little bit (I use to wear a bodybugg that I've used for comparison" but I think that's ok.

How much you burn in an hour is going to depend entirely on how vigorously you are dancing. Two people of the same weight and height could take the same class and burn different calories if one is going ful-out and the other is coasting.

Totally agree!
  • greatescape
    greatescape Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba on Saturday wearing my Polar HRM (with a chest belt) and burned 685 net calories after I subtracted my BMR. I know it's just dancing, but my heart rate was literally 165 the entire time-- you don't have time to stop and breathe! I know you can't necessarily gauge yours off what mine is, but it is possible to burn a bunch of calories IMO :-D

LOVE IT!