to count fruits? Or not?? Thats the question. lol

Options
I have heard that fruits are something you dont need to count as your calories?? Is this so? Any thoughts?? I know, real interesting post...but I wanna know. lol

Replies

• susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Anything you eat has calories ,I could quite easily eat hundreds and hundreds of cals just with fruit everyday :)
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Count them. They have calories, even though healthier calories, they still go in the calorie bank.
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have heard that fruits are something you dont need to count as your calories?? Is this so? Any thoughts?? I know, real interesting post...but I wanna know. lol

I think Weight Watchers doesn't track fruit but if you are trying to track your calories you should enter fruit. I log anything that touches my lips, calories or not, just so I can also see where i am with sodium and other nutrients. I didn't realize how much sodium I take in until starting here and I am slowly bringing that down.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    You are thinking about weight watchers I think. They have a points program and fruits are "free" so they dont count to your daily allotment of points...
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Fruits have calories and Carbs. Yes you need to count them. Fresh is better than canned.
    Berries are a better choice then Apples or pears, but better than pineapples. Find a site on
    the internet that list them by calorie and Carb count and inform yourself.
    Don't let anyone tell you they don't count.
    Even green leafy vegetables which are very low calorie and carb count, still count.
  • not2late
    not2late Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Definiately count. A calorie is a calorie. Watch out for fruit juices and count those too. Many calories in juices.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    That's a WW thing and is exactly why I left WW. I did an experiment where I did MFP and WW at the same time and while I was close to the end of my cals on MFP, I was only about halfway through my points on WW. Explains why I wasn't losing once WW changed the plan!
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the new Weight Watchers program is considering them "free," but the rest of what they are allowed to eat is a lot more restrictive than what we have. The head of Weight Watchers posited the thought that "it was highly unlikely that anyone got obese eating fruit." Probably true if only because binging on fruit will keep you in the bathroom all day!

I view it this way: if it is the end of the day and I really must have something sweet, I make it a piece of fruit and then don't worry about it. But I still put it in my diary, and just allow myself to go over that little bit. Did this yesterday in fact.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    Fruit calories do count on MFP. But the good thing about fruit is that they are good calories and depending on the fruit, lower in calories and high in fiber. Eat lots and lots of fruit. They are high in nutrients and cancer fighting antioxidants. Use fruit to fill up your extra calories after meals instead of processed snack foods.

Check the glycemic index (sp?) for your best options :) Fruits can be sugary but its not the worst sugar snack out there!! Again check the index :)
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    That's a WW thing and is exactly why I left WW. I did an experiment where I did MFP and WW at the same time and while I was close to the end of my cals on MFP, I was only about halfway through my points on WW. Explains why I wasn't losing once WW changed the plan!

Same thing with me. I actually gained 4 pounds because of the "free fruit" even though I only added one more fruit per day to my diet!! tHEY COUNT!!
  • kateslife
    Options
    I bite it, i write it(: all the way down to the gum.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories!! If I eat 10 apples a day, that is 800 calories! Of course you will gain weight eating more calories than you need/burn!
  • jlorton82
    Options
    All calories should be counted and you have to remember that fruits are high in sugar and just like eating candy, too much sugar will hinder your weight loss goals. Too much sugar and too many calories will cause you to gain weight.
  • stepphanie
    Options
    I had this same question the other day and was told to count fruit too. I am glad I have started off on the right foot counting my fruit because I am at the end of week one and have lost 6lbs. I have also noticed that the more water I drink the less hungry I get. Right now I am having a hard time eating enough calories (1200). I count every thing that goes in my mouth!
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    I also gained on the new plan. My mother was gaining also, after she had an amazing 30lb lose with the old plan. It was frustrating. I found MFP and we are back on trackl!