Am i fat? i really need to know

Options
2»

Replies

• Bigwig236
    Bigwig236 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A male non-sexist, non-pervy view point... 140lbs for your height seems perfectly normal to me. My partner is 5'4 and 138lbs, and looks fabulous. Women look so much more attractive with smooth curves rather than bones sticking out. It is so depressing to see perfectly healthy, active women stressing about their weight unnecessarily. Eat wisely, work out occasionally, and enjoy life.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You're not fat at all... Some friends!
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 5" and my goal weight is between 135-140. You are NOT fat!
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Don't pay too much attention to what a scale say's (they lie) The only way to know for sure is to go to a doctor and see what your fat ratio is. My Wii Fit plus program say's I should weigh in at 136 but a few years ago I competed in and placed 3rd in Redondo beach Mr Olympia I was at lett than 6%bodyfat and I was weighing in at 160. I think your fine.
  • StephyTheGreat
    StephyTheGreat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh, and definately dont try to please your Mom! Some people have a fat stigma, or a screwed up perception of what is big and what isnt. I know its tempting to just do something to get people off your back, but they could just have a weird view of peoples bodies.
  • LurayneMarie
    LurayneMarie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 6" and 161lbs and my healthy BMI range is (apparently) between 114-154lbs! That's 40lbs of a difference from one end to another. I personally want a curvy body and dont want to look 'thin' or 'skinny' So my goal is to reach 140lbs and maintain that. I definitely dont want to go all the way down to 114lbs! That just sounds ridiculous!
    You are a healthy weight for your height, you look normal weight and you would not be considered 'fat' by anybody i know!
    Any weight loss after that should be down to personal preference or health related. It should not be based on 'thinking' you look fat.
    Change your lifestyle for yourself and not your family because at the moment you do not have any weight-related health risks to worry about.
    It's your body and you are the only one to decide what to do with it! :)
  • djmom1984
    djmom1984 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I always used the scale of 100 lbs for 5 feet, then 5 lbs for each inch over 5 feet.

Using that, you should weight 125.

Fitness is a huge contributor. Get more active and see what happens to your clothes instead of relying on the number.

Nice relatives, to pick on you like that! Remember, everyone looks heavier on film!
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well, you are NOT fat. Yo have normal weight and you are a beautiful girl.

I'll briefly tell you my story: I am 5'7'' and was weighting 137 pounds, so I went to a doctor because I was not happy with my body. I felt no muscular tone at all. Then he measured my body fat and it was 34% (I had 47 pounds of fat in my body!!!). I changed my eating habits (decreased carbohidrates, increased lean proteins, kept calories under control) and trained seriously with weight lifting and cardio (6 times a week). Three months later I weight 135 pounds (you can see it didn´t change much), but with 22% of body fat (30 pounds) and my lean mass is 15 pounds bigger. I can see a completely different body, and I feel so much better.

So, you have to look at yourself and find out how YOU feel about your body. Then it would be interesting to forget about weight and find out your body composition. Then you have good information to make a decision.

I hope I could help...Good luck!
  • skinnylaura88
    Options
    to me 5'5 and 140 is fat
    im 5'5- 5'6 and im 119 lbs and im still feeling fat...
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Welcome! First of all you should be the one that decides if you need to lose 10 pounds. Do not listen to anyone else. This could trigger an eating disorder and losing weight is hard enough without all of the other issues. Be careful, although some of our MFP ladies mean well the best advice is not always for everyone. The food and exercise program here is awesome and if you use it correctly you will get to the weight that you desire! I am older and I have managed to drop 20 pounds in about a month and 1/2. So hang in there, keep your chin up and stay connected with MFP!!! Best wishes to you on your new journey!
  • LaurenRose2011
    Options
    to me 5'5 and 140 is fat
    im 5'5- 5'6 and im 119 lbs and im still feeling fat...

LauraSommer: YOU NEED HELP! You seem to have body dysmorphic disroder (BDD) which can lead to starvation and death. PLEASE seek psychiatric care immediately. YOU ARE NOT FAT, and there is no legitimate or sane reason you should feel that way. At 119 lbs you are spot on at a healthy weight for your age and height. If you continue to lose weight you will be risking your health and your existence.

Also, the girl that started this threat as at a healthy weight for her height and age. Calling someone "fat" who is NOT fat often leads to psychological stresses that lead to BDD and starvation...especially with women. Be careful what you say, and who you say it to. Hold yourself accountable for your words, and please seek some kind of psychiatric therapy for your body image issues. Good luck.
  • Crazy88s
    Options
    It's not about a number it's about how you feel. :smile:
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It's not about a number it's about how you feel. :smile:

Hopefully at my goal I'll feel satisfied!
  • tmaksparkie
    Options
    Hi .. i know this is kind of a stupid question to ask .. i'm 5 feet and 5 incehs and weigh about 140 pounds .. is that a bad weight to be at? i'm also not too toned, so i just started off with some bikram yoga .. hope to continue it .. i have a pretty sedentary life otherwise.. and i try to stick to a healthy diet but have a big sweet tooth. i try to stay on trackk but once i eat a candy or something, its all down the drain from there and i end up eating everything in sight. i have a BMI of about 23.1 which is not bad at all.. but EVERYTIME i send some pictures of mine to my mom, or friends, all of them say one thing..."lose some weight...at least 10 pounds" of course i want to.. but somehow it seems impossible..the scale does not budge!

I am 5'4" and my goal weight is 125. But for you question no you are not fat, instead of losing weight you should think about changing your body composition meaning build some muscle and lose some fat. Muscle will burn more calories and is healthier, that is where I am at right now I already lost 103 lbs but need to change my body composition now and get my motabolisim back where it should be in burning state. Good luck.
  • amy214
    amy214 Posts: 18
    Options
    i feel good about myself the way i am.. my husband thinks i'm curvy and sexy(he's just being nice) .. its just that i wanted to know what you guys thought as against some other people in my life(most of my friends are stick thin.. i'm the 'fattest') ... based on the responses i got, i know that the scale is not your health.. i would love to build muscle.. be strong, have a great posture and feel good about myself ( strong is the new skinny !).. and foodwise, develop good eating habits..
    i guess what i realize is that as long as i have an active lifestyle, a few pounds here and there is no big deal..
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses .. i guess i would like to tone my self rather than lose weight, since muscle does weigh more.. just need to start (honestly) tracking the calories and going to the yoga class more than just 2 times a week!

Not when you think about it this way...a pound of fat and a pound of muscle is still a pound. A pound of muscle is more dense and tight where fat is fluffy. Sort of like if you had a pound of bricks (representing muscle) and a pound of feathers (representing fat)...you would have to have a WHOLE lot more feathers to equal a pound than you would bricks. I really try not to get hung up on the number on the scale or the size of my jeans. I want to be fit and healthy first and foremost. If I am that in a size 16 jeans then great, if it's a size 12 then great. Looking good is just a perk. It's really all about improving your quality of life, or at least it should be.