Cholesterol dropped from 226 to 175, and triglycerides from

Options
I decided to get my triglycerides and cholesterol under control and get back in shape using MFP as a tool to log my diet and exercise. I started about January 20, 2011. My triglycerides have been over 300 for about 10 years and my cholesterol over 220. I was not exercising daily nor eating the right foods. My starting weight was 223 and I am 6'3" tall, and I am 50 years old.

I cut out all bad fats, sugars and simple carbs, and added walking 25 to 50 minutes a day to my routine. I have been eating between 1400 and 1800 calories a day, a 1000 calorie a day deficit. By the time I had my blood tested again on Feb 15 2011, I had already dropped 11 pounds or so. As of today my current weight is 209.5.

Unbelievably my cholesterol dropped from a borderline high of 226 to a "normal" 175, and my triglycerides dropped from a high 336 to a normal 116, almost a 66% reduction. My LDL, HDL, and hdl / ldl ratios improved and my vldl is now in the normal range again.

I go for a stress test March 15 and another blood test to re-check my levels.

FWIW, eat right, and exercise, it works wonders!

Dan

Replies

• larkinestelle
    Options
    Good job keep up the good work!!!
  • Tabby615
    Tabby615 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    that is awesome!! keep it up!! :happy:
  • patattheshire
    patattheshire Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    wow
  • tmoreau
    Options
    That is fantastic! So happy for your success so far!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    WOW! That's awesome!
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    OMG that is AWESOME! That is exactly why I started focusing, I want to lose 20 lbs before April when I go for my physical and hopefully change my numbers. I haven't lost anything in weight yet but I have made huge changes in my food choices. Thank you for sharing your good news - it will help me to stay on track!:smile:
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Go you!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Go you!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! and thanks for the reminder that even relatively small amounts of weight loss can have a huge impact on one's overall health. :flowerforyou:
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    That is SO great!!!! So happy for you!
  • DaninMiaFL
    DaninMiaFL Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If anyone is interested in my diet log you can friend me and I will be glad to share it with you.

Best,

Dan
  • harpcason
    Options
    That is great. I set up a blog called "Lowering Cholesterol". I am on Cholesterol & BP meds, due to high in both. Have Coronary Artery Disease. I want to come off, so I have asked my DR to work with me. I am so glad that it has worked for you. That is my goal. CONGRATULATIONS!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I'm trying to raise my HDL even though my total is 150 so in normal range. My triglycerides are 153 and my Dr has me taking Niacin and would like me to take fish oil but I couldn't keep up the cost. Right now I'm seeing if using flax seed will help get triglycerides in normal. I know my exercise alone is helping my HDL but I'm trying to avoid packaged food most of the time. Still have some here and there but I'm working on it. Hard to keep on a budget when I fail at meal planning to use only whole foods.
  • soccerfossil
    Options
    That is an inspiring story and your family must be proud too. You are not alone. This program has been awesome for me too. Thanks for the impressive news.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!! Soooo inspirational! Ty for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!

congratulations-1.gif
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!