Is going to buy a (polar)HRM...any suggestions???

Options
2»

Replies

• ohiobluegal
    Options
    I have a Polar...not sure which one....and the HR is almost always exact to the treadmills I use. The problem I have is the calorie count. My Polar is usually half of what the treadmill is. So I average the two. Any answers on this???
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'd trust the HRM a lot more than the treadmill. The treadmill knows the average calories for someone of your size and age but they don't know how hard it really is for you to work on the machine. Someone just starting out vs. a seasoned runner on a treadmill will exert different amounts of energy I'd guess? In other words, the HRM is an estimation just like the treadmill but it seems like for cardio activity (not weight lifting or just walking around) the HRM is more accurate.
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I also have the FT4. The other models have a few more bells and whistles, but the main thing i wanted was to see my calories burned and this model does that amazingly! i bought mine new from amazon for about $63 i think.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar...not sure which one....and the HR is almost always exact to the treadmills I use. The problem I have is the calorie count. My Polar is usually half of what the treadmill is. So I average the two. Any answers on this???

Some treadmills don't ask for gender or age, either. Both of these make a difference in calorie burns. Use the Polar's numbers.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    WOW, you guys ROCK!!! Thanks soo much for the wealth of information, that was so helpful. Can't wait to get mine!!!!
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    FT60 for me
    Love it.....especially the training sessions.
    It appears that we all love all Polars!
    :bigsmile:
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Yes it sure does, and I will have my soon.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    WOW, you guys ROCK!!! Thanks soo much for the wealth of information, that was so helpful. Can't wait to get mine!!!!

And thanks for starting the topic! My new Polar was delivered yesterday and I can't wait to use it today.
  • YOGAONE
    Options
    I have used Polar and Garmin HRMs, I am now using an inexpensive Timex T5G971 that I bought at Amazon for $44. I have checked it several times and found it very accurate. It lets you set your training range and beeps when you go out. If you are just starting out, try this one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P8VWQS Now $46