Thinking About Trying Vegan for a week

Options
Any success stories from trying it or any acting Vegans with tips or advice?

Replies

• sarahjrrr_
    Options
    I decided to try going vegan for a week a couple of months ago, however after a few hours I forgot and accidentally had a cheese sandwich. Not so good. But good luck! (:
  • mmariano
    Options
    I, personally, don't have any tips but my eldest son at 34 has gone vegan along with his wife. My son is extremely thin anyway but his wife has lost about 20 pounds.
    There trying to convert me and I have given it some thought.
    What a total change............no dairy, meat and everything else organic.
    Good Luck.
  • illinibowhunter
    Options
    Good luck going vegan. I will make a promise to eat the protein that you are giving up in order to keep everything in balance :)
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My first thought is, if you're coming from eating things like meat and cheese, don't immediately go for the meat substitutes and cheese alternatives. Some of them are very good, but you probably will be comparing the taste if you try them right off the bat. Plus, it's best to avoid highly processed foods anyway, even if they're vegan. :-)

Try to incorporate lots of legumes and whole grains. I'm still weaning myself onto lentils by having Amy's lentil soup. (Hmm, lunch idea for today!) Basically, as long as you try to keep things varied and don't just live on junk food (which is SO easy to do), you'll be fine when it comes to things like protein and all those pesky nutrients that everyone else is so concerned that you're not getting enough of.

Feel free to check out my food diary for ideas; I also have some friends on MFP who are vegan and I believe their diaries are public. Happy to answer any specific questions you might have, too! Or send any recipes your way, if you're looking for ideas.

-Trish
  • Kindergirl77
    Kindergirl77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight going vegan before, and that is what I am doing right now. I really really recommend the McDougall program and recipe book for going vegan. Also, Furman's Eat to Live is a great book.

There is also lots of great information on a healthy vegan diet at www.vegsource.com.... one of my favorite websites! You can watch famous vegan doctors give great lectures online.