Cheating

Options
I usually cheat once every week or every two weeks. But this doesn't mean I cheat the whole day so I guess I should say I cheat one meal every week or so. I have found that this helps me to lose weight. Anyone else cheat and if so how much do you cheat?

Replies

• mmariano
    Options
    That's awesome and great willpower that you can indulge just one item, one day or one meal. I do that and I go off the deep end and take several days to get back into rhythem.
  • mlharris
    mlharris Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I try to have 1 on the weekend just to keep sane, however I am finding that it's hindering my weightloss, so trying not to have one if possible just to jump start my weightloss
  • illinibowhunter
    Options
    Well you have to reward yourself for the good job you've done. I typically don't a whole lot, but I also understand that it will be a lot harder to stick with a strict diet and exercise if you never reward yourself.

I very rarely go over my calories limit, but for instance last night I went out with some coworkers to a Mexican Resturant and I ordered chicken nachos. The only difference from before and after I have started watching what I eat is that I only ate about a third of the plate as opposed to making myself miserable and eating the whole thing.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I don't Cheat meals anymore - not until I get down to 130lbs. Which is 11 lbs away.
    Instead I buy OPI nailpolish - my Husband bought me 2 OPI, yesterday to achieve my 20lbs loss with Power90...
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    I allow myself one cheat meal (not day) one day a week and it doesn't yet seem to interfer with my weight loss. I try to stay within reason of what I eat and not go over board. Steak is always at the top of my list for cheat day. I find that it keeps me on track the remaining 6 days knowing I have a reward day coming.
  • Quicksilvas
    Quicksilvas Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do the same, I allow my self a cheat meal typically once a week. However, I usually try to save my calories to help cover that meal. I have been guilty of taking a cheat day, but I don't let it get me down. In the past I allowed it to derail my progress and after the 3rd or 4th week I would just fall off the wagon completely. I feel that you have to allow for some food rewards, just plan on it and don't go ballistic.
  • khoffmeister
    khoffmeister Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's good to not completely deprive yourself of the things you want just so you don't go crazy one day and eat tons of bad stuff. Just keep in mind though when you cheat, you are not cheating the diet, you are only cheating yourself. So you shouldn't feel bad about it. As long as you are controlling what you eat then you are fine. I agree with the other post you have awesome will power to only do that once a week. Also, you can always eat whatever you want, just watch your portions and how much. It may mean you just need to eat a healthier meal later in the day if you splurged at lunch :) or eat healthy all day if you know you are going to have a good dinner and want to save your calories. Keep up the good work! :smooched:
  • gebnpb
    gebnpb Posts: 166
    Options
    I eat really good everyday so to keep me from going crazy I like to have a york peppermint pattie if i feel I need a little sweet stuff. That seems to help keep my sweet tooth at bay because boy do I have a big one!!! :blushing:
  • Deszare
    Deszare Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would call it cheating. Because now it just sounds like I'm on a diet and I don't really want to be on a diet I just want to change some of my eating habits. lol But to answere your question, yes I cheat every once in a while once a week would seem about right. But here's the thing, I still work out and burn atleast a thousand calories each time I do it. You don't have to punish yourself in trying to loose weight. Because then it takes all the fun and excitement out of it. lol jk:happy:
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it as cheating, but I let myself eat out probably one meal a week. I just factor in the calories for it and make up for it with healthy eating the other 99% of the time and a hard work out. I think factoring in a "cheat meal" is a healthy way to acknowledge that you're not going to live the rest of your life avoiding everything "bad". It's all about balance and the sooner we realize that, the more likely we are to lose the weight and keep it off long term.

I'm not living the rest of my life without my favorite foods, but I'm also not going to let them take away my dream of being healthy and happy in my own skin! :smile:
  • bweb79
    bweb79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think a cheat meal once a week is a great idea. I do it. My cheat meal is typically on Saturday night for dinner, but It sometimes ends up on Friday night. Just depends on what I end up doing. This cheat meal will sometimes include alcohol. Since I prefer to drink beer, those calories really add up quick. I typically eat very light in the morning and afternoon of my cheat day so I can consume high calorie foods for my cheat meal.

I'm following the paleo / caveman diet. On my cheat day I usually go for breads and pasta or anything else that I have been craving. Even if I'm not craving anything, I typically eat something that I shouldn't on my cheat day. This causes me to feel horrible the next day as my body is not used to all the carbs. This also keeps me on track for the week. Sunday is usually a recovery day from Saturday night food and M-F is just routine meals. It's pretty easy to stay on track with that one cheat meal.

I've noticed that my weight loss totally stops Sunday and Monday, but usually gets back to where I was Friday by Tuesday. So, it does hinder my weight loss a little, but keeps me going the rest of the week. As this is not a diet that I'm trying to maintain and a total lifestyle change, I think the cheat day is mandatory.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my cheating within my calories. Like if I want to have pizza I know its high in cals so I will make sure that my earlier meals are very small and low in cals/fat. So its a cheat but within my guidelines. LOL...
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it "cheating." I have a day of "increased calorie intake." :happy:
  • MRudman
    MRudman Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it as cheating, but I let myself eat out probably one meal a week. I just factor in the calories for it and make up for it with healthy eating the other 99% of the time and a hard work out. I think factoring in a "cheat meal" is a healthy way to acknowledge that you're not going to live the rest of your life avoiding everything "bad". It's all about balance and the sooner we realize that, the more likely we are to lose the weight and keep it off long term.

I'm not living the rest of my life without my favorite foods, but I'm also not going to let them take away my dream of being healthy and happy in my own skin! :smile:

You took the words right out of my mouth. I feel the same way.
  • ffemtchris
    ffemtchris Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    On the days when I exercise (at about 700 calories burned), I will give myself a small treat that offsets some of those calories. Another option is to go out to a restaurant with my wife and indulge slightly to offset the extra calories burned. I don't think of it as cheating as I'm still within my net calorie intake and I just watch the fat/carb content so I don't go too far past the suggested daily limit.
    I think that if you deny yourself too much, you'll get to a point where you go on a binge and undo all you've done successfully. Small treats are better rewards anyway.
  • jadedjade24
    Options
    :bigsmile: This weekend my fiances father wants to go RV'ing for his birthday, so we are leaving today at 2. I know there are going to be S'mores there, his mother made it a point to tell us so, even knowing that we are trying to watch what we eat. But I thought about it. I have been careful to watch what I eat, I portion it out and I am very good about not going outside of my calorie range. I even went out and bought turkey sausage (since they got hotdogs knowing that I dont eat them myself) for the trip so I would have something a little healthier to eat while there.

So, I figure with all this effort...whats ONE S'more going to do? I know I can handle only having one of something, I have done it before. And I have went out and bought myself and my fiance a bunch of water and promised myself that I am not going to drink over the weekend. Dont need any of those empty calories. But I do think that I diserve to have one s'more, and so I will.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Friday night is still chinese takeaway night for me! The only difference is, I'll go for a nice walk beforehand! I might even go out for something to eat on a saturday or sunday night, but I always make sure I burn off any extra calories I may consume!

Yesterday I had a KFC, and I'm still going to get my chinese tonight :laugh: