What staples do you keep in the pantry or on your shopping l

Options
Many of us have gotten far too accustomed to eating things out of boxes or take-out containers and are now trying to cook healthier food at home. For those of us who never really cooked before, this is a big challenge!

Can those of you who do cook healthy at home recommend some staples that you try to keep in your pantry? I mean real food--not other processed stuff (or as little of that as possible). Things you find yourself frequently using in your homemade meals.

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Barley
    Canned tomatoes and tomato paste
    a well stocked spice rack
    whole grain pastas
    dried beans, peas, lentils
    flour
    Knorr Vegetarian Vegetable cubes
    brown sugar
    baking powder & soda
    salt
    arborio rice
    brown rice
    vanilla
    oats
    dried fruits
    onions, garlic

(and a fridge full of fresh vegetables, some fruit, cheese)
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts - I cook some up every Sunday so I can use them in salads or in meals. Egg whites in the carton, oatmeal (rolled oats, the kind you slow cook without sugar), bag of baby spinach to sautee in garlic and olive oil for breakfast, lunch or dinner, cherry tomatoes, bananas, apples, mandarin easy-to-peel clementines, light cheese sticks and nuts. I do NOT buy junk food because if it is in the house, I WILL EAT IT.
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter
    Whole wheat pasta
    Diced tomatoes
    Sweet and white potatoes
    Bananas
    Apples
    Onions
    Unsweetened coconut
    honey
    whole wheat bread
    raisins
    canned salmon
    sardines
    tuna
    beans
    brown and white rice
    Spices of all kinds (we buy in bulk at Sam's)

Here's some of the things we eat regularly. Of course there's the cold stuff in the fridge which would be our veggies and stuff.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I always have brown rice and black beans along with some kind of homemade salsa (I make one with corn and black beans and one with mangos and avocados). I always have tons of fruit (mostly apples and clementines right now) along with fresh avocados, celery, and nuts. I also buy Fiber One bars to get in my chocolate fix and I usually keep dried cherries/cranberries for salads. And keep stuff handy for protein shakes!!
  • sandyg410
    sandyg410 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always have chicken, assorted vegetables, and frozen, steamable brown rice on hand (Bird's Eye). It's easy for a quick stir fry or just a quick meal. As far as vegetables, I like to eat squash and peppers more than anything but that's just my preference. And a must have snack for me is Greek yogurt.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    organic brown rice! it's probably what i eat most!

you can serve with practically any meat and/or veggie and it even serves as a breakfast food.

sometimes i use it as cereal (stay with me here)

i take it out of the fridge and warm in microwave for a mere 10-15 seconds. add a dash of cinnamon about an ounce of raisins and pour some rice milk in the bowl.
    SO GOOD!

that's my staple.
  • ilana26
    Options
    I'm a big lover of vegetables- I always have portabello mushrooms and spinach in my fridge. Quick easy side dish is to cut up the mushrooms in slices, spray some cooking oil spray with 0 cals in a skillet and saute away, when the mushrooms are almost done add the spinach. Really is delicious and flavorful with no salt or anything! I also used this mixture on top of low carb/cal tortilla's with fat free ricotta- baked for 10 minutes in the oven. So healthy and low cal!

I also keep cherry tomatoes/ yellow sunburt tomatoes on hand at all time as a snack. I would suggest keeping ingredients for your favorite salad always in your fridge. Don't stock up on snack foods like crackers or chips because that stuff is what you'll resort to if you are feeling lazy.

Laughing cow cheese wedges have been a great substitute for me since I love cheese. I make turkey sandwhichs with it, low carb tortilla wraps etc...

In my pantry- I always have quinoa, oatmeal, organic brown rice. Canned tuna- (to make with with fat free mayo)

Hope that helps a bit! Good luck :)
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a home cookin' guru, but I've been trying to do better too! I like to keep fresh veggies and fruits around always and chicken of course. Wheat breads, eggs, extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), light butter, non fat milk...etc.
  • borkjr
    borkjr Posts: 14
    Options
    Salsa, Greek Yogurt .. make great toppings/sauces for a lot of things.

Some spices for cooking meat/fish - even the McCormick already mixed up stuff (Fiery Blend, Montreal Chicken/Steak, Rosemary Garlic, etc are all good on fish, chicken, steak simply broiled).

Tons of vegetables - the steamfresh frozen stuff is good for you and won't go bad. Apples, Oranges, Bananas.
  • Twezensky
    Options
    My go to is Brown Rice! I love it. It is easy, you can make it in big batches and bag it up, re-heat it up and enjoy it with butter and salt or add it ANYTHING. Last night alone, I browned up some garlic, onions and ground turkey meat. I added the rice to make it a meal or a snack, my choice.

Another one is healthy peanut butter. This is easy and when I want something sweet I eat one spoonful or put it on celery.

Green Smoothies are my salvation.
    Apples. When was the last time you enjoyed one? This sweet taste, revitalizes my sweet tooth and there are so many varieties that my taste can get satisfied each time.

Want something sweet? Flour-less peanut butter cookies! Who knew? Delicious, period.

Salsa and chips.

----thanks for the barley reminder! :)

I agree with the spices. Make your food TASTE delicious and you will not want anything else.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes
    potatoes
    quinoa
    wild rice (or brown rice)
    lentils
    cans of no-salt-added beans (since I don't like taking the time to soak/cook the beans myself) - black, garbanzo, pinto, kidney
    cans of tuna (the lowest sodium I can find at a reasonable price)
    oats
    flax seed (I buy the seeds whole and grind them in a coffee bean grinder that is reserved for non-coffee stuff)
    olive oil
    Natural PB (read the labels! "Natural" isn't regulated... I buy PB with ONE ingredient - peanuts!)
    Raw almonds - no salt added

Refrigerated Staples (non-pantry)
    all the fresh/frozen (without sauce/salt) veggies that is practical to keep around (enough to have options without them going bad)
    skinless/boneless chicken breasts
    ground turkey (I buy the 93% lean type)
    Egg whites
    Eggs
    Yogurt (I buy yogurt that is only milk and the bacteria - no other ingredients)
  • stephbraden74
    stephbraden74 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I TRY to cook healthy as much as possible. I the two main meats I cook are salmon and chicken then just vary the recipes. It surprising how many ways you can cook something. I keep a variety of vegetables (broccoli, asparagus, corn, green beans, zuccini, squash) and fruits. I put the veggies with my meals (lunch and dinner) and use the fruits for breakfast and snacks. as far as pantry staples, I keep a load of seasonings to use on my chicken or fish. some of them off the top of my head are lemon pepper, smoky bbq rub, cajun, southwest, sweek hickory...and tons more, just look in the seasoning isle. I keep wheat flour, corn muffin mix, canned veggies for in a pinch, pam spray, sauces like Franks red hot (0 cals) Mustard (also 0 cals) bbq sauce, soy sauce, olive oil (very healthy for cooking). whole wheat pastas, ingredients for homeade tomato sauce (canned tomatoes, tomato sauces, onions garlic) brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper.... Sorry i cant thinkg of much off the top of my head. when I get home I will look and add more!! good luck!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    tilapia
    salmon
    chicken breasts
    shrimp
    ground turkey
    potatoes
    jasmine rice
    brown rice
    strawberries
    blackberries
    blueberries
    bananas
    corn (frozen)
    brussel sprouts (frozen)
    baby spinach
    tomatoes
    orzo
    whole grain pastas
    large variety of spices

i have all of those things in my fridge, freezer or pantry as we speak :)
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Things that I always have on hand,

Canned toamtoes, whole wheat pasta, onions, garlic, milk, eggs, egg whites, sardines, chick peas (for hummus), quinoa, brown rice, frozen shrimp, frozen chiken breasts, all natural peanut butter, whole wheat bread, healthy cereal, bag of frozen fruits (for smoothies).

Things I buy if I go the grocery store,

Fresh protein (lean beef, fresh fish filet),
    fresh vegetables: broccoli, bell peppers, sweet potato. those are my go to veggies, I can stir fry them with garlic and some greek seasoning in 15 minutes for a healthy large portion of vegetables. Any other good looking vegetable that is affordable i will pick up and try as well, i bought endives this week for the first time, yummy. Green beans are excellent as well.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Pantry:
    Brown rice
    Dried beans
    Dry pasta (I buy Ronzoni Smart taste spaghetti)
    No salt added canned tomatoes
    Onions (you can dice and freeze if you need too)
    Potatoes or sweet potatoes (I usually buy when I plan on making them)
    Seasoned Bread Crumbs
    Olive Oil
    Low sodium Chicken Broth
    Whole wheat bread
    Light soy sauce (ha, ha, I typed out sodium sauce at first... which is a pretty accurate name)

Refrigerator:
    Eggs
    Butter (no, I don't use often but I want it there when I need it!)
    Nonfat milk
    Parmesan Cheese (fresh lasts a while, but grated is fine too!)
    Cheddar cheese (shredded or block… block will last longer)
    Fresh fruit (whatever is in season)
    Lettuce or salad mix
    Lowfat sour cream

Freezer:
    Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (bought in bulk and frozen in 1-pound portions)
    Frozen stirfry mix
    Frozen grean beans or corn
    Peppers (buy fresh, slice and freeze)

Spices/seasonings:
    Fresh garlic
    Dried basil
    Dried oregano
    Garlic salt
    Paprika
    Black Pepper
    Sea Salt

Items I usually buy fresh when I need them:
    Ground turkey
    Tomatoes
    Fresh broccoli
    Avocado (LOVE avocados!)
    Mushrooms
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar
    Olive Oil
    Sea Salt
    Pepper
    Basil
    Oregano
    hot Chilli powder
    Cumin
    Paprika
    Cayenne Papper
    Chinese All spice

Fresh lemons
    Fresh garlic
    Fresh chilli
    Red Onion
    White Onion
    Peppers (green, red and orange)

Passata

You can make even the most bland of food taste amazing just using one or two of the above...
  • cschick2317
    Options
    cottage cheese
    chicken
    eggs
    tuna
    brown rice
    whole wheat pasta
    whole wheat bread
    oatmeal
    diced tomatos (toss a couple cans in with some whole wheat pasta and chicken and add some basil/pepper/salt for an easy and healthy meal)
    frozen veggies
    onion
    olive oil
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    amazing lists here,

Its cool how similar all the lists are and goes to show what healthy eating people have on hand to make their most commond meals.

With a little practice, all those items become second nature manipulate and cook with.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    These are great lists. I would add whole wheat couscous. It is yummy and so easy to cook.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Pantry:
    Canned salmon
    Wasa crispbread
    brown rice
    canned beans (black, pintos, cannellini, I like a variety)
    oatmeal

Perishables I always have on hand:
    Fresh broccoli (my fav)
    Plain Greek yogurt
    Boneless/skinless chicken breast and thighs
    Ground turkey
    Ground cornmeal (for polenta)
    Skim milk
    Laughing Cow light wedges
    Multiple varieties of hot sauce