Qucik on-the-go breakfast ideas? Help!

Options
Hey guys!
I've recently started doing clinicals for college, a couple days a week, at our local hospitals. We have to be there at 5:30am, and breakfast that early just doesn't work for me. I've tried eating before I go, but I just end up being hungry around 8 or 9am which is when I usually eat breakfast. So any suggestions for some quick and easy breakfast items I could take with me? At a couple of the hospitals I do have access to a fridge and microwave, but at others I don't have access to either. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Boil a dozen eggs at the start of each week and keep them in a bowl in the fridge - grab 2 plus some fruit or toast for a well-balanced breakfast. The protein and fat in the eggs should help keep you more full. You could also pair them with a single serving yogurt and a small bit of fruit. If you're worried about not having a fridge, buy a small insulated lunchbox (they make nice onces now that are pretty affordable - soft or hard-sided) and put your food in there with a reusable ice pack.
  • lemanda
    lemanda Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Grab some Fiber One bars or Kellogs Fiber Plus bars. They are tasty and filling. Quaker Oatmeal packets are also a good choice.
  • heatherlyn128
    Options
    I've done a couple things and I don't know if they're possible for you, but I usually will have a banana or yogurt on my way to work. Then mid-morning when I get hungry, I'll have "breakfast". I keep a box of weight control maple brown sugar oatmeal (high in fiber) in my desk at work along with some dried cranberries. All you need is a bowl, a spoon and some hot water from the coffee maker and you have a delicious satisfying breakfast. Another idea is to bake breakfast muffins with some light bisquick, turkey sausage, peppers, onions and just a little cheese. You can bake a whole weeks worth and put them in baggies to take with you each day. You can even put it in the microwave for a little bit before you enjoy.

I hope this helps and look forward to others suggestions!
  • vicksters31
    vicksters31 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm a student nurse and I have exactly the same problem! I usually eat something little before I go and then have a banana or something just before I start. But that still leaves ages until lunch! I'm not very imaginative but you could take fruit salad, a sandwich of some kind or cereal in a lunchbox! and and a little milk in a bottle or something that you can pour on when yo have it to avoid the sogginess! Or I dont know if you can get Bevita breakfast biscuits where you live? They're like digestive biscuits that are healthy and come in small packets and you could have yoghurt or something with them!
  • SSampley
    SSampley Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    for when you do have the use of fridge and microwave, you can make mug shots! I got some receipes from hungry girls web site there are several, super quick and yummy! http://www.hungry-girl.com/search?keyword=mug+shots Most of them are under 200 cal and pretty filling!
  • heatherlyn128
    Options
    Oh I remembered one more that's gives my husband and I a week's worth of breakfasts, make an egg bake which gives you 12 servings. Take a light meat of your choice (turkey sausage is our favorite) or you can go meatless. I brown that up with some diced red pepper, green pepper and onions. Take a bag of refrigerated hashbrowns and put them in the bottom of a 9x13 dish sprayed with cooking spray. On top of the hashbrowns put the meat and veggie mixture. Then take a large carton (or 2 small cartons) of Egg Beaters and pour that over the whole thing. You can then sprinkle a little reduced-fat cheddar on top and bake it for an hour at 350 degrees. It's AMAZING!!!!
  • mkraemer91
    mkraemer91 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions everyone! Thank you so much. I'm definitely adding all these items to my grocery list.
    Hospital cafeteria food is no longer an excuse for cheating. :tongue:
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    Oh I remembered one more that's gives my husband and I a week's worth of breakfasts, make an egg bake which gives you 12 servings. Take a light meat of your choice (turkey sausage is our favorite) or you can go meatless. I brown that up with some diced red pepper, green pepper and onions. Take a bag of refrigerated hashbrowns and put them in the bottom of a 9x13 dish sprayed with cooking spray. On top of the hashbrowns put the meat and veggie mixture. Then take a large carton (or 2 small cartons) of Egg Beaters and pour that over the whole thing. You can then sprinkle a little reduced-fat cheddar on top and bake it for an hour at 350 degrees. It's AMAZING!!!!

You have some utterly delicious ideas that I am totally going to borrow!