HRM Help!! Which one to get??

Options
I do most of my workouts at home and I am curious to see my actual calories burned. I figure I am keeping such a close track of what calories I put in, why not what I put out? So, I am in the market for a heart rate monitor and I would love to hear some user reviews! Does it matter if you get one with or without the chest band and what about changing the batteries? Do they really work?

Thanks!

Replies

• freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM...i got the Polar F6 and it has the chest band. For me its the most comfortable thing I cant even tell I have it on. Guess its just a matter of preference. I would highly recommend this one. Best of luck on your weight loss journey!:drinker:
  • kerri76
    kerri76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My friend has a FitBit and she loves it. I am looking to get a HRM as well so I am interested in responses.
  • lemanda
    lemanda Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just bought a MIO HRM but I am having trouble figuring it all yet. Its not counting my calories as I exercise, but other than that, its ok.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I love it. The ones with the chest strap tend to be more accurate, I think. Also, just remember, you get what you pay for. Polar's may be more expensive than some random brand at WalMart, but they have a reputation for working well, and they are all coded, so you are not getting any interference from other HRM's at the gym. I have had mine for about 6 months and use it every day, and the batteries are still going strong.
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    I was going to post this - bump
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 too! Very simple to use, very accurate, and very comfortable. I have large wrists and the band has a wide range of length and it fits me perfect with another 5-6 holes to go. I have been very pleased with it- I've had it since the end of November.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I went with the Polar FT60 and love it. It just depends on the options you need and your budget but I'd suggest a Polar over some of the other brands. Hit Amazon and read reviews.
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I just got the PolarFt7 day a couple days ago and I LOVE it. It does come with a chest band and the batteries can be replaced on your own. I was surprised how comfortable the chest band actually is-- it fits right about under the bottom edge of your sports bra. Overall I read that the ones with the chest bands seemed to be most accurate and that the Polar brand seems to receive high marks.

I'm VERY happy I got one because it makes me want to push harder to keep my heart rate up in a certain range and to reach a certain calorie goal. Also, I appreciate how I get to compare how I burn calories from one kind of workout to another and can make a better decision of what to so if I'm on time crunch.

Good luck on your decision :smile:
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mine! Counts cals, saves data, has zone alarms and all for $38! It's in the top rated on About.com, Amazon, LiveStrong, Mens Health (it's Unisex), and by Consumer Research :) I researched the heck out of it because I nearly spent $200 on one!

Here's the link to it :)

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5G971-Unisex-Personal-Monitor/dp/B000P8VWQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298410114&sr=8-1
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, cost 93 dollars at Target, it also has the chest strap and I LOVE it. It's amazing to find out how many calories I really burn and there is such a hugh difference between the HRM and many websites that 'estimate' your calorie burn.

Hope this helps :wink:
  • improvstitute
    Options
    I am also interested in a HRM but some of the reviews I have read note that the chest strap is small. I am a big fella and have a big chest. Anybody know if the Polar F6 (or others) chest strap is adjustable...like REALLY adjustable? I wear a size 3XL shirt (but I plan on being in a 2XL before long - wink). Thx in advance for any info you can offer!
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Bump....for the last guys question...I have no clue but is a good question!
  • Bruiserbob
    Options
    While I can't speak specifically for these products, all other HRM chest straps I have seen are adjustable. Up to and larger then you are asking about improvstitute. Honestly, I'd be shocked if there was one made that doesn't work the exact same way.