Help! My dog won't stop barking!

Options
oddyogi
oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
We have three dogs: two corgis and a border collie mix. The corgis were previously mine and the BC mix came with my husband. The border collie (Bud) is the most awesome dog ever. He NEVER barks unless he thinks someone might be outside the house, he loves to just lay around and chill. My male corgi, Apex, is a little chunk that just wants to eat and get belly rubs all day. He only barks when he gets jealous of my petting the other animals, and usually a stern finger waggle and saying his name gets him to quiet down.

And then there's Bella, the female corgi. She's cute as hell, tri-colored, and on the smaller side of corgis with one blue and one brown eye. She loves to bark. She loves to make all of the corgi noises--talking, howling, howling yawns, grumbling, mumbling, whining. Most of her noises don't bother me too much as long as she keeps it at a low level because it's part of her personality, and it is rather endearing. However, her bark can be horrible. It echos very loudly in the family room, and she will not give it up. Most of the time she barks when we get home and let her out of the crate. She will bark because she wants attention. She will bark because she wants you to throw a toy. She will bark because you're not looking at her. She will bark because she always wants SOMETHING. I am 95% sure she is not barking just to bark. She always wants something.

We have tried a barking collar.. it works, but as soon as it's off, she'll bark. I don't want her to wear it 24/7 because I think that's a bit much. We tried different types of barking training. We trained her to be quiet, trained her to bark and then stop barking, and it got to the point where it worked, but she would want to bark so she could get a treat for being quiet. She's just too smart. I take her on walks, but it seems unless I take an hour long walk, she will still bark when we get home. It seems the next thing I'm going to try is a squirt water bottle, and try to take more walks since daylight is getting longer outside. Granted, she's not barking 24/7, but once she gets the idea that she wants something, she won't quit until we let her outside or do something she wants, or until she gets bored. I love my little Bella and I don't want her outside all the time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry for the long winded post.. but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    When my Mom's dogs made messes on the floor she sprayed them in the face with vinegar water. Maybe that would work? We don't have dogs, but the neighbors across the street do, and they bark at anything that walks by. And they are LOUD. So I know it can get annoying. Hope you find something that works. I had a basset hound that was a digger, and I tried everything to get her to stop and she just wouldn't, so we had to get rid of her :( Good luck! Oh, and I see that you are pregnant, too! Congrats!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My mom has a corgi that is the same way. He is a fetch-aholic and will bark like crazy until you throw his toy for him, then he'll bring it back and start all over again. Drives me batty when I go home to visit!! Unfortunately, they haven't found a way to stop it. I just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain! And, it must be something in the bred!!!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I just saw something on this. Not a problem that I have but none the less. It said to ignore the dog when they bark and when they quit barking to treat them and pet them etc. So if she's barking you ignore. Then when she pauses you can say good no bark and treat her when she starts barking again quit the attention.

Now personally I think that like a child crying I don't know if I could "ignore" barking.

But hey worth a try. you're just going to have to be firm and no attention if she's barking.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't recommend the spray bottle. With very smart breeds you can really end up alienating them. She will not stop barking completely, just when you have the spray bottle in your hand. She will also start to resent you (my aunt tried this with her Corgi and she eventually started peeing in the house again whenever she brought out the spray bottle). Unfortunately, you have to be VERy patient with this. Ignore her when she barks. Don't look at her and don't give in to her. Don't touch her. The second she's quiet for more than 5 seconds, tell her she's good and act like she's the greatest thing ever. If she barks, stop. Make her be quiet for 5 seconds and then praise her. Keep it consistant... no attention when she's barking and lots when she's quiet. You also get to decide how long she gets attention for. Make it enough so she realizes that she's getting a reward, but you don't have to sit there and pet her for 10 minutes. She's smart, but they can be stubborn. Be constitent and she'll get it quick.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Corgis are very hyper and active dogs and they do require alot of attention. Some dogs just love to bark and nothing short of bark collars or spraying them will help. You can also try putting her in a kennel as a punishment and see if that will help. Debarking a dog is also an option, one that I do NOT like but I worked as a vet tech for 8 years and there was a couple dogs that we had to do. Just keep doing what you are doing, you are on the right track, dogs are like kids some are more hard headed then others. Congrats on your baby!
  • sweetheart03622
    Options
    Corgis are very hyper and active dogs and they do require alot of attention. Some dogs just love to bark and nothing short of bark collars or spraying them will help. You can also try putting her in a kennel as a punishment and see if that will help. Debarking a dog is also an option, one that I do NOT like but I worked as a vet tech for 8 years and there was a couple dogs that we had to do. Just keep doing what you are doing, you are on the right track, dogs are like kids some are more hard headed then others. Congrats on your baby!

I'd really advise against putting her in a crate or kennel as a punishment, unless you want her to never want to go in her kennel again. A well balanced dog will have absolutely no problem going in their kennel and using it as punishment will create anxiety every time you put her in there.
  • YayMe17
    YayMe17 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the barking thing. I have a geriatric dog that barks constantly. If she is awake, she is barking. She is def & blind so nothing works-not the reprimands, not the ultrasonic Bark Off thing I got at Target (I know she's def but I thought the "ultrasonic" would work, can you say desperate) Maybe the bark off thing will work. It's worth a try. I have to swaddle her like a baby to calm her & get her back to sleep. Good luck I hope you find something that works.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    I just saw something on this. Not a problem that I have but none the less. It said to ignore the dog when they bark and when they quit barking to treat them and pet them etc. So if she's barking you ignore. Then when she pauses you can say good no bark and treat her when she starts barking again quit the attention.

Now personally I think that like a child crying I don't know if I could "ignore" barking.

But hey worth a try. you're just going to have to be firm and no attention if she's barking.

The idea is there. But when the dog is barking, purposly look the opposite direction and up at the ceiling. This sends a message to the dog that you are not interested in their behavior. Also, you can do what's called a "too bad" where you put the dog in a place where they are isolated from the group. (We use our downstairs half bath when my cocker spaniel gets demanding.) Put them in there for 2 minutes. They can not come out until they are quite and demonstrating good behavior, so if the dog is barking at the end of 2 minutes, wait until she is quiet and then let her out. Don't reward her or make a big deal about it, but let her out and resume whatever you are doing.
    Also, in our training class we learned to keep the toys up so that a dog can't bring it to you and demand your attention. Bring the toys out on your terms so that the dog knows you are the leader, not her. Otherwise she can get pretty demanding, as you have probably already seen. The time out has really worked for my cocker, as well as the looking up and away. When he stops barking at me, I pay attention to him. If he barks again, I ignore and look up and away. Our cocker used to bark as we were coming downstairs in the morning because he knew it was potty and breakfast time, so he was almost demanding it. We would stop on the stairs and look up and away. Now, he no longer barks at us when we come downstairs. He's still super excited, but no barking and it's so much better. Now we praise his good behavior when we get downstairs and he's much happier.
    Good luck! It's hard, but I highly recommend pet training classes. It's only $100 at PetSmart and their trainers have done amazing things and have shown us how to interact with our pets so we aren't the ones encouraging the bad habits! I learned more than they have. The cocker graduated from advanced and the boxer just finished beginner. The difference is amazing!
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    I forgot to mention on the "too bad" that when you put the dog in too bad, there is no emotion. You simply say "too bad" and put the dog in time out. If there is no anger or emotion when you put the dog in their time out they will not associate the too bad area negatively. They will just see it as a time out. My cocker loves to sleep in the downstairs bathroom. Even though it's his "too bad" area, he never hesitates to scoot away and hide for a long nap on the bathroom floor where it's nice and cool. If you use a crate for the dog, you can still put them in a too bad. You just have to remove everything from the crate and be emotionless when you put the dog in the crate and then cover it so the dog is isolated. To me, it's easier to use the bathroom (which is what our trainer uses) because it's easy and immediate. Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps.
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Try a muzzle. Dogs can't bark when they have one on. Put it on when she barks and remove it after a few minutes. Each time she barks for no apparent reason put muzzle on. She will eventually get the idea that when she barks for no reason that the muzzle will go on and dogs do not like muzzles. I have also sprayed mine with WATER only. That, too, lets the dog know that it is not appropriate behavior.
  • Awineburg
    Options
    I heard exercise can silence a doggy. The more you exercise your pet the less they will bark. She is probably bored and wants something to do, have you tried giving her some chew toys possibly a Cong or a bone/ pig ear?
    Its probably just her nature, its hard wired into her brain. Shock collars are inhumane so I wouldn't want to use one of those, and vinegar water just sounds mean. Just keep her busy and she will stop barking so much.
    She just a talky sassy pup :laugh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've watched the "Dog Whisperer" TV show. If you haven't, rent it from Netflix.

I disagree with the punishment (spraying, shock collars, or kenneling). A time out might help if you catch them as soon as they start barking, and then stay consistent with it. But they can do a time out in the other room, they don't have to be confined. It is going to take consistency and some time.

I think more exercise is in order, and stopping the dog immediately when it barks. Corgis are working dogs, herders, and need more than just a walk every day, they need a job.

Can you take the dog to a park where it can be off-leash? If you have more than one dog, that's great, but they all need tons of exercise.

If you can't take the dog to a park, can you jog with it or ride a skateboard or roller blades with it?

The dog sounds bored to me. Corgis are super smart dogs. Especially if this gets them what they are asking for - more exercise!

Go to http://www.dogforum.com/ and there is a Behavior Forum.

Good luck.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My family used to be dog breeders, so I grew up with small bears, as I call them, running around ALL the time. There is no quick fix to bad behavior. However, if you are willing to put in the time, training in the way to go.

While treats are usually the way to go, smart dogs who just want treats will very early on realize they will get a treat for good behavior. Problem is, there bad behavior will continue because they know they have to keep being bad to get treats when they are good.

Completely ignoring a dog is one way to go about it. If it is the kind of dog that barks right at you, put on head phones or something to block it out, but do no acknowledge the behavior one way or another. Sometimes this helps over time. Yelling and screaming only excites a dog further and is usually associated with play time.

Get a crate! Crate training a dog doesnt hurt them and in time they get the point. Make sure to only use it for bad behaviors so they can put two and two together.

Spend a lot of time with them outdoors or playing with them. The more warn out they are, the better off you are :)
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

I'd really advise against putting her in a crate or kennel as a punishment, unless you want her to never want to go in her kennel again. A well balanced dog will have absolutely no problem going in their kennel and using it as punishment will create anxiety every time you put her in there.

Its not any different then ignoring her! I have worked with animals over 10 years and never had a dog get screwed up from being put in a kennel. I am not talking about leaving her in there all day long! Its really just like a doggy time out.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    She already said she keeps the dog in the crate ALL DAY. Don't think more time in the crate will fix this.
  • sweetheart03622
    Options

Its not any different then ignoring her! I have worked with animals over 10 years and never had a dog get screwed up from being put in a kennel. I am not talking about leaving her in there all day long! Its really just like a doggy time out.

You're right, if you're using it for a time out then it is very effective. I have two pitbulls that I refuse to leave alone together, so they're always kenneled when I'm not home. So for me, a kennel is their bed/holding area... not a time out area. Misunderstand on my part!
  • tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Oh, I can just visualize it!! My neighbor used to have her firend's Corgi over all the time for training... Quite energetic and demanding little breed! I have a dachshund...she can be like that also, and your description sound just like what I see from her...although I think your Corgi is even "more so" than my dachshund, as she does eventually stop, and laptime is awesome. So, I'm no help at all! Sounds like you've already invested a lot of time and effort into the issue. I'm just amused and feeling your frustration. Hope you can find a solution.
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you figure it out, let me know. I hate to admit it but I have been outsmarted by a 65 lb Doberman. Even though she is almost 3 now, she still acts like a puppy. Knowing that she has a lot of energy, we take her to day camp every day where she runs around with other dogs for ~8 hours. She also gets regular walks and running sessions at the bark park, plays with the child and other dog in our house, and goes on lots of car trips. As a guardian breed, I expect her to bark when she senses something out of the ordinary, but she barks WAY too much. To complicate matters she has a liver condition which means she has to go to the bathroom every 2-4 hours. She has a doggy door, but if we leave it open we risk her barking at the neighbor's dogs in the middle of the night. So we have to choose between being woken up every 2-4 hour, to take her outside, being woken up every 2-4 hours because the doggy door was left open and she is barking, or deal with accidents when we wake up. I am actually worried for my husband's health- he is a light sleeper and I am a heavy sleeper, so he has taken the brunt of the evening punishment. She also barks when she wants to play, when she wants attention, when she is hungry, when anyone passes by the house (even kids just riding bicycles across the street), when the neighbors are in their backyard, etc. We tried pretty much every method recommended on websites, by trainers, and message boards, including:

1) Shaking a can filled with quarters behind her to startle her- the noisemi doesn't scare her.
    2) The spray bottle- she catches the water in her mouth and barks between sprays
    3) Ignoring her- she will bark for over an hour straight (after which point I stopped testing this method, because our neighbors were not appreciative). Or she will start pawing at us like a boxer to force a response.
    4) Putting her in time out (behind a baby gate, not in her kennel)- she continues to bark wherever she is at, or worse, starts crying because she is separated from her family. We still are firm and do not let her out of time out until she stops barking, but without fail, she will start barking 5minutes after we let her back into the room.
    5) Putting her on her side (Cesar Milan style). She will calm down, but as soon as we let her loose, she will start again within 5 minutes.
    6) Training her "Shhh"- she knows if I hold my finger in front of my mouth and say "shh" she needs to be quiet. This works only if she is looking at me, and thinks she will get a treat. Otherwise, she is already distracted by whatever she is barking at and won't notice or hear my command
    7) Positive reinforcement- every time she is relaxed and NOT barking we pay attention to her.
    8) A sonic emitter bird house- lets off a sound every time the dog barks within a specific radius. This worked for about 3 hours, then she figured out the tool is only triggered with a repetitive bark "ruff, ruff, ruff." It isn't triggered by a single bark. So while we had that on she would bark: "ruff (pause 2 seconds)...ruff...(pause 2 seconds)...ruff." Ridiculous.

Lastly, the shock collar. If you had asked me a year ago, I would have said only a terrible dog owner would use one of these, but we are to the stage that the neighbors have commented on her bad behavior and even reported her as a nuisance to the city. More importantly, as much as I LOVE my dog, her illness, combined with the barking problem is putting my husband's health at risk because he has gone several months without a good night's sleep. I did see Cesar use one of these in a situation where the dog was putting itself in danger, and the owner was not in arm's length to correct the dog themselves. We tested it on ourselves before putting it on her just to make sure it wasn't painful.

So far, the collar is the only thing that works because the correction is instantaneous. Otherwise, the correction takes too long to be effective: for instance if she is outside and starts barking, she will continue to bark until she hears my walking to the door, and then will stop and run back in the house. She knows she is not supposed to bark, and will stop (temporarily) when she is "caught," but always resumes barking as soon as she has the opportunity.

I agree though, you can't just put a collar on your dog all day long- it isn't realistic and I don't want my dog to stop barking altogether. I just want her to keep her mouth shut between 9pm amd 7am UNLESS someone is actually breaking in to our house.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I agree though, you can't just put a collar on your dog all day long- it isn't realistic and I don't want my dog to stop barking altogether. I just want her to keep her mouth shut between 9pm amd 7am UNLESS someone is actually breaking in to our house.

Wow, it sounds like your situation is worse than mine! I wish I had suggestions, but I don't. :( I hope you find a solution so both your husband and your doggy can be happier and get more sleep!

I did end up finding a solution with the water spray bottle. I only had to spray Bella once and she knew. It was the method my mother used when she was watching my dogs while I was on deployment, and honestly I'd completely forgotten about it until I made this forum post.

Most of the time, if the spray bottle is within reach, Bella will stay quiet, and she is more quiet overall even when we're not in the same room as the spray bottle. Though, if she starts barking excessively, all I have to do is pick up the spray bottle and she'll be quiet. The good news is, when this happens, she doesn't cower or anything. She comes to me 90% of the time and sits down quietly to get pet. :) Needless to say, my husband is very relieved because I know he found it very annoying.

Best of luck to you, kbloodworth!
  • savannahwilmur
    Options
    With dogs barking...I personally don't believe in putting any dog in a crate or kennel..would you like to be put in one..if a dog is kept in there all day this is wrong...of course you will get people who disagree..my dog never barks and has never, even as a puppy been put in a cage..She was and is allowed to explore her enviroment..A cage is a lazy way to train a dog and basically to keep a dog quiet..A dog needs company and plenty of exercise..also I have a toy breed that people put in their handbags..again my dog has never been in a handbag and that's why they get a bad reputation as being yappy..