Carb targets for those on insulin

Options
I was curious what your targets are for those of you taking short acting insulin (type 1, 2, 1.5, whatever) and also, do you count net carbs (carbs-fiber). I have recently been counting net carbs, and I can't really tell the difference..

Replies

• amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I was just at my endocrinologist the other week. She recommended no more than 40 carbs for each meal and 20 for a snack. I have been looking at the net cabs/fiber thing when I'm low and also compared to the sugar count. Its hard to find the prefect thing for a low when your freaking out. I have had way more lows then needed recently. 46-55 ugh I had 533 cals just for that alone. Got to love our body fighting against us when we are try to help it in the long run.
  • mzw00dy1964
    mzw00dy1964 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I count straight carbs...no net. I do between 45 and 60 per meal. I do 40 breakfast, 60 lunch, 40 dinner approx. it usually ends up being closer to 45+ at each meal
  • imaclatchie
    Options
    When I was starting on insulin, I was told to count net carbs. If I was eating fewer than 15g - net - I could skip the insulin.
    Food Guides tend to advocate over 100g of carbs a day - the low carb diets advocate under 30g a day.

You really need to try out different levels of carbs, and adjust for what works in your life. I'd say you can safely go to 50g with no adverse effects, no ketosis, yet reap benefits of lower carbs. I'm not a Dr... so all I can tell you is whats worked for me.

Things to note:
    The reason you can (have to) subtract fibre from the total carbs is because the fibre does not get absorbed into your blood - so it does not affect your blood sugar. If you were taking insulin for instance, including those carbs in a calculation for how much insulin to take could make you use too much. So it is important.

I've been on a low carb diet for a month or so, under 30g of carbs, and I have not needed any insulin for the last 3 weeks... nice.
  • mzw00dy1964
    mzw00dy1964 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That works for the Type2...I have to take insulin no matter what...but your comment about amount of carbs per meal. I agree with. They reccomended the amount I eat...but on days when I feel less hungry I eat 20 or 25 grams carbs for a meal and its just as good.