Recipe Substitute Question

Options
I found a recipe called Creamy Chicken, Vegetables, and Noodles (Kraft Foods website) that looks very tasty and uses ingredients that I like such as egg noodles, and lots of veggies.

This recipes calls for Velveeta cheese. Personally, I dont eat cheeses like that. It actually scares me slightly. What would anyone else recommend, cheese wise, that would melt easily like Velveeta? Would Mozzarella work?

Replies

• nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I would use whatever cheese you would normally use. The recipe probably calls for Velveeta because it is their proprietary product (as gross as it is!) but also because it is smooth melting which is ideal for a noodle casserole.

Sometimes the reduced fat shredded cheeses don't melt as well, but I am sure they will still work just fine in this. You could also buy a block of cracker barrel 2% extra sharp cheddar and shred it in your food processor. That is my favorite reduced fat cheese and is what I use in most recipes that call for cheese and it melts well for me. And I am sure it will be a taste improvement in this recipe!!

Velveeta scares me too.
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Sargento's Reduced Fat Cheddars. I like the Mexican one. Would probably be delicious in this, and it melts very well! :)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I've also seen some people suggest using some non-fat greek yogurt in your sauces to add extra protein as well as make sauces creamy. You could also use low fat ricotta (it's fairly low in calories) or non-fat / reduced fat sour cream.
  • smareeh
    smareeh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    laughing cow cheese might work well
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am also scared of Velveeta! I read over the recipe and substituting another cheese won't give you the creamy consistency of a cheese sauce like Velveeta would since cheese on its own doesn't melt/have those properties. Some get stringy, some oily, etc. I would make a cheese sauce with a roux base (a classic bechamel sauce). Basically, heat equal amounts of fat (oil or butter) and flour, whisking constantly until it is a blond color. Slowly add skim milk, whisking constantly, until you have a thick sauce. Once the sauce is thickened, add handfuls of grated cheese (reduced fat cheese works well, I use Cabot brand).
  • YayMe17
    YayMe17 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You could make a bechamel sauce. It will make a nice creamy cheese sauce. Don't be scared by the butter, a little goes a long way.
    3 Tbsp flour
    3 Tbsp butter
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    2 cups milk (any kind)
    1/8 tsp cayenne or nutmeg
    1/2 cup cheese (your choice) Jack w/ a little parm is good

Melt the butter in a sauce pan over med/high heat.
    When the butter has melted, remove from heat & stir in the flour, salt and cayenne or nutmeg. Return to the stove, and wisk in the milk in a slow & steady stream. Reduce the heat to low & simmer, stirring until a creamy sauce has formed & the mix no longer tastes of flour. About 10 minutes (If you feel it is too thick add more milk) Stir in the cheese.
    I also like to add fresh or dried thyme to the sauce while it's cooking.
    This is a very versatile sauce. All veggies or pasta you use with this sauce should be well-drained. Extra moisture will spoil the sauce.
    I like to use it for Gratin potatoes-slice & par boil the potatoes add sauce & a little more cheese on top. Bake 20 minutes.Done.
    Sometimes I mix it with broccoli, chunked chicken & noodles. Bake for a bit. Yum
  • YayMe17
    YayMe17 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Great minds think alike. LOL I had to run to my kitchen & break out my recipe book. LOL
    I am also scared of Velveeta! I read over the recipe and substituting another cheese won't give you the creamy consistency of a cheese sauce like Velveeta would since cheese on its own doesn't melt/have those properties. Some get stringy, some oily, etc. I would make a cheese sauce with a roux base (a classic bechamel sauce). Basically, heat equal amounts of fat (oil or butter) and flour, whisking constantly until it is a blond color. Slowly add skim milk, whisking constantly, until you have a thick sauce. Once the sauce is thickened, add handfuls of grated cheese (reduced fat cheese works well, I use Cabot brand).
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! Ill be keeping them all in mind (and also writing down the recipes given ;) )!
  • shunke
    shunke Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have used just an inch slice (or two for large dishes) of cream cheese or even reduced fat ones on steamed veggies, pasta and other and then maybe added a one ounce cube of cheddar for the richness of cheddar, and color. Cream cheese melts nicely and goes a really long way, start with just a little and add as desired. Velvetta is gross to me too!! Good luck experimenting.