Prednisone Question

Options
My doctor just prescribed me Prednisone 20 MG tablets twice daily for 7 days. I have lost 14.5 lbs while on MFP and was wondering if I will gain weight from it. My work pants just started fitting again :) I know it's needed, but I'm wondering what to expect.

Replies

• mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    I don't think you will. I'm an asthmatic and have experience with this drug. If anything, it will make your heart beat faster, which will definitely not make you gain weight. Good luck and feel better!
  • meep777
    meep777 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A short term course like that shouldnt make much difference, like long term doses of steroids do.x
  • adamthaler
    Options
    I was put on prednisone for a week due to a pretty bad sinus infection about a month ago. I noticed that I was a lot hungrier while I was on it, but I just focused harder on still eating the same amount and I didn't put any weight back on.

7 days isn't that bad of a prescription. Now, if you were going to be on it for a month or longer then you would probably gain some weight because of it.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've taken several short courses of prednisone like that in the past few months and I didn't have a problem with weight gain. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep doing what you've been doing and you'll be fine.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will. I'm an asthmatic and have experience with this drug. If anything, it will make your heart beat faster, which will definitely not make you gain weight. Good luck and feel better!

yeah that's not necessarily true. Yes about your heart race being faster, but i have witnessed many on steriods gaining weight. In some it makes them feel hungry. However I have seen weight losses too as one of the most common side effect is stomach upset.

I would suggest to you OP to talk to your pharmacist. Or even google for a bit of information

I just noticed it's only for 7 days. I would really not worry about it too much
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It may a little, but on short term. Most of the time as soon as you finish the rx, you lose the excess weight also
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    As an asthmatic with emphysema I have had a lot of dealings with prednisolone. They do make you feel hungrier so you will have to keep your appetite in check...if you manage that then the only gain you should see is temporary fluid gain as theyre known for making you hold on to water....and you may be one of the lucky ones it doesnt effect
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Hi there-
    I took that for a week and despite all the warnings, I did not gain any weight. The one thing to watch, however, is your sodium intake. Prednisone makes your retain water, so if overdo the sodium it's double whammy. Other side effects include a super productive high :laugh: , but also a very angry low :mad: .
    Doctros said to call right away if I experienced the latter. Some people get physically addicted even though their Rx is only for 7 days.

Good luck w/ everything! :smile:
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    prednisone made me SUPER hungry. I gained weight because i was eating BAD things... You know like stuffing my face with hot cheetos and fudge rounds? I think it is managable as long as you make sure to keep healthy foods and snacks around and within reach so you dont turn to junk food like me.

My cousin eats empty calorie things (a ton of fruits) so she wont feel like she is starving and will not gain weight at the same time. I hope this helps and good luck!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My doctor just prescribed me Prednisone 20 MG tablets twice daily for 7 days. I have lost 14.5 lbs while on MFP and was wondering if I will gain weight from it. My work pants just started fitting again :) I know it's needed, but I'm wondering what to expect.

It really just depends on you, alot of people do gain from steroid use. Just be careful in what you choose to eat. They will/can make your appetite increase. Try drinking more water and increase your fiber intake during the time you are taking them. (Apples, carrots, celery will help make you feel full and less hungry). That should help.
  • apertuis
    apertuis Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I'm feeling better about it now :) I did notice that I'm wanting junk food today. I'll have to hide the donuts that my co-worker brought this morning. lol The benefits outweigh the risks so I'll just have to deal with it and watch what I eat.