DH brownies and calories...

Options
Hello everyone,

This is a new post for me.

I have a question about Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownies. On the box it's stated that 1/20 of the package is 180 calories, baked. Now how am I supposed to figure that out, weigh it and only cook a 20th of the package for a serving? I e-mailed the company asking them if they could give me an approximate ruler measurement, like 1"x1" equals this amount of calories. I got a response back from DH and they stated it would depend on the pan size. You see I failed to mention in the e-mail what size pan I would be using.
This is a family size box (21oz.) that is supposed to bake in a 13x9 pan. I thought they would figure that one out. Does anyone have an idea on the best way to figure out how much of a brownie this might be for calorie purposes? I guess I could just divide the pan into equal 20th's with a knife. Does anyone think that is probably the best way to get an accurate serving? My wife tends to believe I am over thinking this. You know it would be so easy for me to eat half the pan of warm brownies with a tall glass of cold milk.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Replies

• toddtwo
    Options
    Hello everyone,

This is a new post for me.

I have a question about Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownies. On the box it's stated that 1/20 of the package is 180 calories, baked. Now how am I supposed to figure that out, weigh it and only cook a 20th of the package for a serving? I e-mailed the company asking them if they could give me an approximate ruler measurement, like 1"x1" equals this amount of calories. I got a response back from DH and they stated it would depend on the pan size. You see I failed to mention in the e-mail what size pan I would be using.
    This is a family size box (21oz.) that is supposed to bake in a 13x9 pan. I thought they would figure that one out. Does anyone have an idea on the best way to figure out how much of a brownie this might be for calorie purposes? I guess I could just divide the pan into equal 20th's with a knife. Does anyone think that is probably the best way to get an accurate serving? My wife tends to believe I am over thinking this. You know it would be so easy for me to eat half the pan of warm brownies with a tall glass of cold milk.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    yes, just cut 20 brownies in the pan. If you want to be as precise as possible, you could use a ruler to measure out the points where the cuts should go.... but an estimation would work.
  • Laynee
    Options
    I think I would cut it in quarters going the length of the pan and then in fifths going across and you'll get 20 brownies each with 180 cals.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    That is one of those too big of a hassle things with me so i think for me it would be a skip the brownie thing all together. :happy:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    In a 13x9 pan,
    4 rows across
    5 rows down
    make 20 brownies
    BUT
    those are small brownies
    for 180 calories :cry:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Does is not say number of grams per serving, in brackets after the 1/20th? I know they usually do...
  • ThisIsJeffHere
    Options
    Eating half the pan would make the cutting a lot easier...
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Eating half the pan would make the cutting a lot easier...

And then running for 4 hours straight to burn off the excess calories... :laugh:
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    just grab a big spoon and I think a spoonful would be the right size (just don't go back for more--no double diggin)
  • toddtwo
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! We were going to have them as a treat after supper tonight. I have a wife who is a chocoholic and three teenage sons at home that can eat forever and not gain weight. I'm glad that "ThisIsJeffHere" agrees with me. However, I will do my best to with stand the temptation. Number of grams per serving is 30g. Ah...I could weigh them? I have to be burning a few calories just thinking about this so hard. Just looking at the empty pan, small brownies indeed!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Have you looked at the recipes for using colas and cake mixes? Cuts the calories drastically, and then you guys could have chocolate cake!

PS- Don't try cola and brownie mix. That does NOT work, trust me.:grumble:
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! We were going to have them as a treat after supper tonight. I have a wife who is a chocoholic and three teenage sons at home that can eat forever and not gain weight. I'm glad that "ThisIsJeffHere" agrees with me. However, I will do my best to with stand the temptation. Number of grams per serving is 30g. Ah...I could weigh them? I have to be burning a few calories just thinking about this so hard. Just looking at the empty pan, small brownies indeed!

yes, you could weigh them if you have a food scale. Or you could just say screw it and have an average sized brownie with your family. I mean, it's not like you have them everyday.
  • cnolovechild
    Options

:noway: LOL....what???? I've done this and talked to several others that have as well and we all LOVE em!!
  • kerrilucko
    Options

:noway: LOL....what???? I've done this and talked to several others that have as well and we all LOVE em!!

try em with canned pumpkin. omg, yum!