Nutrition Facts

Options
Will most restaurants have or give out nutrition info, leaving recipes exposed? I have been wondering about this and just haven't asked, but I know alot of your more common restaraunts already have sites with this info. Its just a lil hard when you try to load the info into mfp.com

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Many will provide nutrition info, but NOT an actual recipe. There are few that provide recipes (I know Olive Garden has some of their recipes on their website), but very few, and recipes are not required. The only requirement is to provide the nutrition info and calories. - but even that can be hard to find or get an actual copy of.
  • gdotman
    Options
    right that is my problem to know what they actually put in the food and how much. I know i just need to put in how much I have eaten though. It would just be easier if all restaurnats had nutritional sites even the mom and pop shops.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Yes, it does make it difficult. Other than the obvious solution (try not to eat out lol), about the best you can do is try to order the things that have the fewest ingredients possible - steak, grilled chicken, plain steamed veggies, etc. Anything with sauce or that has a long explanation of what it is, usually isn't a good choice as there will be added "fillers" and sodium. The plain stuff will be easier to log - and definitely the healthier choice anyway. :wink:
  • katieseitz
    Options
    I don't believe restaurants are required to provide nutritional information for their foods (calories etc) other than ingredients in case of an allergy.

If I'm wrong please let me know, and let me know where I can get the information for El Fenix's Pollo a la Parilla! I spent forever googling that the other day. I tried to be good, I was surprise-invited-out and chose the grilled chicken-sounding thing over a bed of spinach... then there were the rice covered in queso and refried beans - oops!
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    When I can't find a recipe on the restaurant sites I try to enter each item I had. So if it was a cheese burger (usually I just add Mcdonald's cheesburger in cause I don't think it could get worse than that.) but hypothetically I would add a hamburger patty, Processed cheese slice, Hamburger bun, 1tbs of Mayo, 1 tbs of Ketchup, 1 tbs of mustard (you get it) and yeah enter everything in.. might not be perfect, but I don't think you'd be that far off... Pasta (if it isn't from olive garden, or old sphaghetti factory) I usually enter it in as one of those because I feel recipes in terms of pasta sauces can't be too far off from each other.

If you have any other ideas for me in terms of recording restaurant items please message me.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    They aren't required to yet, as far as nationwide. The Health Care Bill had a part that addressed this and will require all chain restaurants (with I believe more than 20 locations) to provide nutrition info, but it's not required yet (they had a year or more to implement the changes). Many of the larger chains are holding out to find out what the exact requirements will be, as the FDA irons out what exact info they want. However, some states/local governments already require it (ie New York City).
  • kateopotato
    kateopotato Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    They aren't required to yet, as far as nationwide. The Health Care Bill had a part that addressed this and will require all chain restaurants (with I believe more than 20 locations) to provide nutrition info, but it's not required yet (they had a year or more to implement the changes). Many of the larger chains are holding out to find out what the exact requirements will be, as the FDA irons out what exact info they want. However, some states/local governments already require it (ie New York City).

The whole state of ca requires it too (restaurants with 20+ locations)
  • pmaxfeldt
    pmaxfeldt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ladyhawk00
    "What fits better into your lifestyle, working out an hour a day, or being dead 24 hours a day?"

LOL!!! That is good. May I use it on FB? Thanks for sharing it either way...

peg
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    ladyhawk00
    "What fits better into your lifestyle, working out an hour a day, or being dead 24 hours a day?"

LOL!!! That is good. May I use it on FB? Thanks for sharing it either way...

peg

Hehe, feel free - it's actually from a cartoon done by Randy Glasbergen, but has been adopted by a lot of fitness people (gyms, etc)
  • gdotman
    Options
    just wanted to say thanks for all the post. hope that they do go ahead and pass that bill it would just be easier. I do try to individually search and input my food log a bunch of times, I just want to be more accurate and stern with myself. It's been long over do.