How to prevent cramps when exercising?

Options
I usually wait about 2 hours after eating to exercise, because I get cramps in my side. Sometimes I still get them, even after I waited that long, or even longer! Why does this happen and how can I prevent it? I hate cutting my workouts short cuz I'm in pain.

Replies

• david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    How about trying just a banana or an energy drink before exercising and eat after..?
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell what the cause of the cramps really is....are you doing strength training type workouts, or cardio? If you're doing cardio, it's probably due to a lack of oxygen to your muscles and not so much that you ate food earlier. You don't have to stop, just lower the intensity of whatever you're doing and take longer deeper breaths until the pain subsides. The stronger you get and the higher endurance you build, the more you can push yourself. Like I said before, without knowing what you're doing it's hard to guess what's causing them, but that is one possibility.
  • ems152
    ems152 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch properly and do some light warm up work? Also, when you drink water during exercise take regular, small sips rather than gulping down loads of water in one go.
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch properly and do some light warm up work? Also, when you drink water during exercise take regular, small sips rather than gulping down loads of water in one go.
    Also great points...stretching after a warmup is an awesome tip, and try to be well hydrated before your workout as well as sipping some water throughout your exercises.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I make sure I get plenty of water before I start running, and knowing how to breathe appropriately is a MUST!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    When I had that problem, my trainer told me to eat a banana a day - I do that right after working out with some protien and no more cramps. It can also be caused by gas so as someone previously mentioned - small sips of water.
  • nmjordan
    nmjordan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I go on my elliptical but don't do a warm-up first. I'm gonna try that.
  • reginarb
    Options
    The bananas are a huge help with the side cramping. It's the potassium in them that does the trick. If I drink to much water before I run I have that problem so the sips is a great idea.
    Proper streching BEFORE and AFTER your workout is also a must to avoid pulling muscles and to helping them grow.
    Anyone feel free to add me as a friend. We could all use the motivation